• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Too often.

The longer I don't train the easier it is to skip the next session. The last 6 weeks have been sporadic at best.

Currently involuntarily deloading due to severed tendon

Deload in comp prep of course and generally have a month or so of bb training here and there

I have a break if I go on holiday at the end of the year.

IMO deloads are pointless. Either train properly or have a break.

Last edited:
Yeah, if I make the effort to dress up and go to da gym and but am only allowed to hit it 50% hardcore, what is the point!? Might as well play at home, I have a barbell there to toss around.

Mind you I did go for months without a break and ended up with a shoulder injury, so I guess that's one way my body enforces a "deload".

I'm surprised people think de-loads/short breaks are useless or somehow mean you're not training properly.

Umm...probably not as often as I should haha.

Although I have clients do deload workouts, I physically struggle to go to the gym and just go through the motions with light weights. For active recovery, I do other beneficial but less boring stuff.

I very much think this idea of never deloading is a bit strange though. How do you know if you are improving if you are constantly in a fatigued state? http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/09/27/fatigue-explained/

6 weeks, usually. Matched lifts in week 5 and PRs in week 6, then drop back.

I decided to do this when I saw that so many people were having deloads anyway - holidays, injury, illness, stress from life stuff building up, or most commonly simple burnout leading to missed sessions and lifts. If you're going to crash anyway, why not slow down before you hit the wall. If deloads are inevitable, plan them in. Happened usually 1-2 times in each 3 months. So okay, let's go for 6 weeks. I have found this leads to fewer missed lifts and less drama and misery in general.

Last edited:
My workouts are like clockwork in that they look real boring, and my goal is progression if I work real hard, at some point I burn out, maintenance workouts (working to the previous target) is a way for me to recover while still moving.

these days I do a lot more maintenance than real hard workouts, but when I do real hard workouts they still feel fuckin awesome, and I feel electric after it.

My workouts are like clockwork in that they look real boring, and my goal is progression if I work real hard, at some point I burn out, maintenance workouts (working to the previous target) is a way for me to recover while still moving.

these days I do a lot more maintenance than real hard workouts, but when I do real hard workouts they still feel fuckin awesome, and I feel electric after it.
That sounds like a pretty good way to go about it tbh

Don't forget that a workout at X weight (or group of exercises at X weights) can provide stimulus for muscle growth for more than one consecutive workout. It can take more than one exposure to a weight for the muscles to adapt. While we like to progress every week or every session, our muscles don't say 'well, sorry...we did this last week therefore we can't be bothered growing or adapting. Try again back next week princess...'. Inevitably there comes a time when you will not progress that week for any number of a myriad of reasons; this does not mean that workout was wasted.