• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
A plank is purely an eccentric exercise, and it works your entire core. Where crunches are at best semi contracting the abs only.

The ROM and form of a crunch can vary too much. It's probably one of the most incorrectly executed exercises I see. Where a plank, you can't really cheat. You're virtually using your entire body at once to stabilise itself.

Steve

i really am blown away by your comments most of the time this one is a ripper.

eccentric exercise has nothing to do with what the plank is, the planks is an isometric exercise.

a healthy individual is going to receive much more benefit from doing forms of abdominal work where there is (like any exercise) a eccentric/isometric/concentric action, this is bodybuilding 101

Thoughts??

I think this is a smart way to train the love handles, I can't help but think that that the movement looks rather awkward and unco however. Doing them at the cable station would have everyone stare and think you're getting tangled up by the cables and therefore a gym n00b haha.

eccentric exercise has nothing to do with what the plank is, the planks is an isometric exercise.

Woops, I mixed eccentric with isometric. The point is that you're training your core while lengthened. How does that prove that planks are pointless?

I'm not really expecting a sensible answer, but more arguing over semantics.

Yes once again an enlightened discussion turns into a churlish one.
steviep
im not quite sure what you are asking