• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shrek

Fucked up Kunce
Just curious PL's how you determine your diet?
Do you adjust cals accord to strength gains or weight gain? How do you balance eating enough to gain strength but not too much that you get fat? Or perhaps you don't care how fat you get as long as you get stronger?

I used an IFFYM calculator which uses a pretty standard formula to calculate calories to start off with then adapted as a monitored composition changes.
It calculated a BMR of 2980, which I rounded to 3000, I added a 300 calorie surplus and discovered no weight change over 1 month period.
Added 200 more calories for another month and found 100g increase, another 300 calories later I was gaining between 250-500g at about 3800.
Held at about this rate and managed to gain a fair few kilo's over a period of time. I haven't become overly fatty luckily, however I do realise some fat gain.
Most of my training was strength wise, so I've never measured on that basis.

Harris Benedict equation.
BMR calculation for men (metric)BMR = 66.5 + ( 13.75 x weight in kg ) + ( 5.003 x height in cm ) – ( 6.755 x age in years )
Sedentary (little or no exercise): BMR x 1.2
Lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): BMR x 1.375
Moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): BMR x 1.55
Very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): BMR x 1.725
Extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training): BMR x 1.9

powerlifers? mine way better than yours. and the non-fat powerlifters watch their weight.

Just curious PL's how you determine your diet?
Do you adjust cals accord to strength gains or weight gain? How do you balance eating enough to gain strength but not too much that you get fat? Or perhaps you don't care how fat you get as long as you get stronger?

I'm a skinny powerlifter lol.

I use IIFYM. I adjust kcals based on what I'm trying to achieve (a lifetime of bulking in my case). But i adjust them upwards when I see I stall in gaining weight. That said, I'm looking at slowly gaining to prevent most of it being fat and having to diet down again. In lowest weight classes, power to weight ratio if errything lol.

also keep an eye on strength gains but i don't adjust kcals for that. I look at my training program to see what i need to address.