• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
We know the benefits of using machines over the barbell.

more volume is required in barbell work because of the limited time spent under tension.

An interesting study revealed that 80% received only half strength increases and fatigue using partial reps while 20 % increased strength by 100% using partial reps.

what do you make of this and how could you use this information for yourself?

Full range of motion with barbells > machines anyday unless there is an injury or physical restriction preventing you from romming the fuk out.

That partial reps only build half the strength. ?
Lifters employ partial twits knowingly or otherwise so they can lift heavier weights. You know. ....ego thing.

That if you are in the 20% you are fortunate. If you are in the 80% you are both unfortunate and fatigued.

Last edited:
Yeah. same believe partial heavy reps will prime for the full ROM. You know. .grtctge body used to the heavier weight. Myth of not? ????

Yeah. same believe partial heavy reps will prime for the full ROM. You know. .grtctge body used to the heavier weight. Myth of not? ????

The only merit I can see in this is with exercises like heavy squats where there is a significant mental element or you're pushing yourself to the limit.

interesting topic.

I feel that exercise and range choice must be tailored to sport in question.

for example, it is debatable whther full squats would be any better than half squats for sprinting. Ben johnson, who we know had incredible leg power, only did quarter squats of bench.

But Olympic lifters definitely need some full range squats due to needs of sport.

I think that for most of us, and if we primarily used the barbell and or dumbbell would need to perform more reps and sets (volume) as most here do.

if one was using machines exclusively then, more than 3 sets per exercise is wasted and overtraining inevitable.
When I say overtraining, I mean progress would stop and in most cases you would start to lose muscle tissue.

for the minority, strength gain on the partial load that barbells provide is usually accompanied with lots of volume.

its just food for thought.

if you struggle with barbells consider using machines one to two sets to MMF in your template now and again.

And for those who state machines do not biuld muscle, and that barbells are the only method, have their head firmly up their arses.

and their are many, look at powerlifting, crossfit and such.

i love the barbell, it's fun, it's economical and so-on.

but a good machine is by far a better tool to biuld strength, flexibility and muscle, and safely.

I agree, machines can be an excellent choice.

if I had my time again say for legs, would have focused on unilateral leg exercises and machines.

If we compare the % of contraction force of the barbell curl compared to a machine with a good strength curve for example you get a real good indication of the effectiveness of a machine, this can go for any exercise.

Bicep curl
Barbell
degree of elbow flexion X % of contraction force
40 X 25
90 X 85%
140 X 25
160 X 0

machine
degree of elbow flexion X contraction force
40 X 55
90 X 90
140 X 87
160 X 60

you can see that the application of resistance is very different remember the OP now you can use both optimally and if one gives you benefits over the other then you are doing the right thing, trial and error is key, not copying someone else.

If you train for partial reps, you'll get better at partial reps.

If you put 100% effort into training 100% ROM, you're going to make make less strength gains than someone training 100% effort at 50% range of motion. Only half the work is required.

If you train for partial reps, you'll get better at partial reps.

If you put 100% effort into training 100% ROM, you're going to make make less strength gains than someone training 100% effort at 50% range of motion. Only half the work is required.

Oh dear, like everything using partial rep's in a template has advantages.
if you'de like to discuss that is great nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

your second statement leaves me discombobulated

Strength curve linear shear forces range of motion, joint angle variable resistance muscle recruitment. Biomechanics insertion angle; force-length relationship torque potential flexion.

Discuss.

Partials definitely have their use. You can use them to build up weak points or as an overload device. When partials allow you to use markedly more weight (not always the case, BTW) they can also provide more stimulus to the skeleton, which is beneficial in improving BMD, and they can help strengthen supporting muscles (eg if you do quarter squats with your squat 1RM, you will build a stronger trunk in the process to support so much weight on your shoulders for the higher volume made possible with the reduced ROM).