• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
^ Because the ROM police are the most important authorities in society. If your hips don't dip below your knees, it's not good enough that you'll get red lights in a competition -- you're actually a moral deviant who deserves to be cut off from society until you've learned your lesson.

For the ignorant

when I stated partial I'm referring to the partial load that barbells provide, not the partial movement.

the partial movement in the test was to provide a measure as to whether, placing a muscle under limited movement garnered the same result as working a muscle under variable constant automatically variable resistance and in 20% of test subjects growth was stimulated by either.

And for those who state machines do not biuld muscle, and that barbells are the only method, have their head firmly up their arses.

and their are many, look at powerlifting, crossfit and such.

i love the barbell, it's fun, it's economical and so-on.

but a good machine is by far a better tool to biuld strength, flexibility and muscle, and safely.

I do powerlifting and still use machines. In fact, the whole team does at my gym. You use a range of things to build up strength, address weaknesses etc.

In fact, I'm now adding in partials for seated leg press (the only one I'm allowed to do lol due to still rehabbing hip). I use about 80-90% of ROM and don't lock out so I'm always under tension.
Sometimes use it to prefatigue quads before I do my main lifts or towards the end as a finisher for quads. So partial movement is sometimes useful too.

The people who know what they are doing in strength sports use a variety of tools to get the best outcome. It's the one-eyed crazy dudes who scoff :)

Long winded way of saying you make excellent points, @Silverback; but remember the people who excel at their lifting sports know what's what.

For the ignorant

when I stated partial I'm referring to the partial load that barbells provide, not the partial movement.

the partial movement in the test was to provide a measure as to whether, placing a muscle under limited movement garnered the same result as working a muscle under variable constant automatically variable resistance and in 20% of test subjects growth was stimulated by either.
Could've made that a lot clearer. It looks like literally everyone who isn't you took "partial rep" and "full range" to be the way that literally everyone uses these terms -- as a reference to ROM.

I'm still unclear on what the results are supposed to be saying.

If you look back at history, in the development of conditioning, you'll see 3 three stages of meaningful progression in the field of physical training being firstly calisthenics, gymnastics and then weight training.

the various steps marked an increase in the degree do possible results and simultaneously a reduction in the required amount of training, using a barbell was a miracle

the QUALITY of resistance made each step progressive, the quality of resistance and the adage of weight make exercise harder, more intense, lees has been proven to show more.

a good machine, is the next stage I think.

Could've made that a lot clearer. It looks like literally everyone who isn't you took "partial rep" and "full range" to be the way that literally everyone uses these terms -- as a reference to ROM.

barbells will have limitations for most, using machines as an adjunct is wise.

Exactly.

Load was not mentioned at all until page 3. If "partial reps" are discussed, it implies range of motion.

I guess just another way to "one up" people who participate in the discussion.

Exactly.

Load was not mentioned at all until page 3. If "partial reps" are discussed, it implies range of motion.

I guess just another way to "one up" people who participate in the discussion.

Did you not read post 13?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rightio, so does this apply to loaded walkouts?.. load up the squat bar with uber amounts of plates, walk out with it, hold for a few and then rerack. I've seen a few of those at the gym.

Rightio, so does this apply to loaded walkouts?.. load up the squat bar with uber amounts of plates, walk out with it, hold for a few and then rerack. I've seen a few of those at the gym.

I've seen lots of people do static holds. They, too, have their place. Just depends on what you are trying to do.

Static holds in this fashion would be suited to pl training ?
i don't really see any benefits doing this in a regular workout.

yes they were plers :)
sure in other training programs, it would make little sense.
always comes down to what you are trying to achieve, right?