• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Shit its hard communicating with you blokes.

There are going to be movements that are more beneficial using more repetitions, but if you are not controlling the negative portion of the movement you are not receiving the full benefit of the exercise.

in this case we need to be specific about numbers Bazza, if you are moving weight and you are moving it in 2 seconds, it's too light and or your you are just throwing it.

in one sentence you are speaking "self experience" , then you speak in general terms.

in relation the the "not comfortable" I mean that in terms of the exercise feeling too uncomfortable if you move slower than you are used to.
fuck me I couldn't give a shit if you felt uncomfortable in the questions I ask you.

Who said anything about not controlling the negative.

Holy shit I said don't go into the specifics of the actual numbers and what do you do.

All I was asking was same total set TUT but different numbers of reps, fuck it this is going no where.

To be honest Andy and no disrespect to anyone here but it's why I couldn't be arsed anymore
I check in for a few laughs here and there and to rattle the cage every now and then of numbats like Gerry. :D

Lifting isn't what it used to be.

All it is about now is getting on the gear for festivals and posting selfies. It's hard to be as excited about it.

Last edited:
slow reps do nothing for power. A typical retarded powerlifter doing a 300kg deadlift produces about 500 watts of power each time he lifts the bar. An athlete who can power clean 140kg makes several kilowatts of power. Even old stinky pants here makes a couple of kilowatts just by power cleaning 100kg.

Slow stuff does not improve power development.

If you do too many speed reps per sec and use momentum instead of tut, its a golden ticket to rhabdo city.. a wise PT once told me

Have the people commenting actually trained with different rep tempos? It's not simply a case of 10x2 = 20, so 4x5 = 20. 10 speed reps is much easier than 4 reps of a slow cadence.

Slowing the cadence totally removes momentum, which you'll have a lot of with fast reps. It forces you to muscle up the weight.

I think the arguments over total time under tension comes back to bodybuilding vs powerlifting. Bodybuilders want to get the most out of the weight and make it as inefficient to lift as possible, overloading the muscle. Where powerlifters want to use speed and momentum to lift the weight efficiently as possible.

Have the people commenting actually trained with different rep tempos? It's not simply a case of 10x2 = 20, so 4x5 = 20. 10 speed reps is much easier than 4 reps of a slow cadence.

Slowing the cadence totally removes momentum, which you'll have a lot of with fast reps. It forces you to muscle up the weight.

I think the arguments over total time under tension comes back to bodybuilding vs powerlifting. Bodybuilders want to get the most out of the weight and make it as inefficient to lift as possible, overloading the muscle. Where powerlifters want to use speed and momentum to lift the weight efficiently as possible.

Bro, when you hang 3 plates off each end, it is slow going, have to lower that weight inch by inch slow as or I won't be able to stop the momentum at the bottom and it's not as if you can explode off the bottom, you can, but the weight will not move fast, just too heavy.

Agreed. Depends on the exercise as well. A single rep of a full squat or deadlift will take longer than say a tricep extension or lat pull down.

well yes, I always reduce speed on lighter weights to do every exercise very strictly.

When I go heavy, however, I do reps as fast as possible to get weight up with reasonable form.

As for lowering weight slowly, and going fast up, not really interested. Have tried, but prefer my own approach. I always do weights controlled, especially with sets for lighter weights (60-80%).

As for my occasional heavy sets (once every 2-3 weeks) for each muscle group, whether max or reps to failure, I just want to get my reps done.

Wow a whole thread on rep cadance?

Ill be honest here and say total volume accross a session and program is of FAR greater concern than rep cadance. Most people struggle to even get that right.

i trained with a guy who was big on doing slow strict reps controlling the bar the whole way and he was a unit.Loved to really squeeze the bar every rep.Isolation movements he was a beast.however he seemed to lack explosiveness on the heavier compound lifts.Heavy weights you gotta try to move the bar fast.

Wow a whole thread on rep cadance?

Ill be honest here and say total volume accross a session and program is of FAR greater concern than rep cadance. Most people struggle to even get that right.

Agreed,smart programming is underrated when it comes to making gains,and its something i really struggle with.