• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
A typical ignorant statement

Who said anything about that?

You shit me when you go on about what you do in competition.

When you do anything over 7 you are using the heaviest weight possible to move as fast as you can, your first 3 0r 4 rep's are preparing for the last few important rep's.

I'm not talking about ballistic movements, which has no value

Typical personal hating response...Keep hating loser. I don't a flying fuck if I shit you or not.
I was asking/referring to someone elses post about taking 2 seconds on the Concentric movement. I see no benefit in that. If wanted to increase time under tension, I'd do longer negatives and pauses, which is included in my training.

hate to disagree SB, but I have never seen any top bb, powerlifter or athlete that trains 6 seconds reps. superiority of that method, if real, not really that necessary to get results.

Do more reps rather than slower reps?

Question for anyone

What is the difference between 5 reps that take 4 seconds to complete and 10 reps of the same weight that take 2 seconds to complete?

Seems to work for some of the biggest and strongest people in the world doesn't it...but they would be wrong according to master silverback

You see, this is where you and I conflict and you never comprehend.

Your comment "Depends on the weight" is a common misconception of exercise.

The weight you use must be heavy enough to force fatigue, to stimulate growth.

The rep ranges one uses will determine the weight on the bar, the number of rep's used will determine the degree of stimulation, but the most common sweet spot for muscle growth is 10 reps.
Based on a controlled speed of 2/4/1
The general idea of 2/4/1 is that;

Moving (positive) 2 seconds from start to finish completely eliminates momentum, this ensures the the muscles are doing 100% of the work
Moving (negative) 4 seconds from start to finish has the same effect plus it enables the muscles worked to safely go into pre-stretch, which is key to strong flexible muscles.
Pausing for one second in the contracted position ensures you have complete control of the weight in your hand throughout the movement also the added benefit of strengthening the muscles much more efficiently.

** pausing (squeezing) is generally used with pulling movements, when pushing or squatting, the paused should short of using the limbs to support the load.

When one say "Depends on the weight", the only thing that's going to change are the amount of reps one can do, which is a good thing because of our fiber make-up (slow and fast twitch)

Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Adding really heavy weight and moving faster, in the negative has no benefit what so ever could even cause injury, moving lighter weight and just going through the motion is a waste of time.

Progression is key, using a controlled rep cadence and slowly increasing the two key components of rep number and weight over a period of time is the only way to improve your;
Strength
Flexibility
Muscular mass

Makes sense.

Typical personal hating response...Keep hating loser. I don't a flying fuck if I shit you or not.
I was asking/referring to someone elses post about taking 2 seconds on the Concentric movement. I see no benefit in that. If wanted to increase time under tension, I'd do longer negatives and pauses, which is included in my training.

I don't hate Dicko, maybe next time refer whom you're answering to so we don't waste our time

I have seen a lot of Arnold reps, and never 6 second reps. he does a controlled rep for everything.

Come on Spart this is a silly argument.

so now we are going to state that if we train like the stars we'll look like them?

I feel like I'm back in the 80's

but i have never seen any huge or strong person train that way; just not necessary. If people want to train that way, fine, but I cannot see any advantage.

but i have never seen any huge or strong person train that way; just not necessary. If people want to train that way, fine, but I cannot see any advantage.

Casey Viator
Dorian Yates
Mentzer
Kevin tolbert
Half the NFL

many many more, it's a silly argument.

Viator trained exclusivly using negative movements only for 6 months, then won mr america at 17

But you're right, A person like these blokes are big in spite of what they do, not as a direct result.

as again self-evident, many methods may work; there is no holy grail.

How boring doing a six second rep, in any case.

You mean 4 seconds and 2 seconds per rep? or the set

If you are performing a rep with the maximum amount of weight you can handle required to complete the set then the weight on the bar is not enough, more often than not you are just dropping the weight in the negative portion of the movement, your muscles are doing nothing, except bearing a load of unneccessary force at the turnaround

You serious. Clearly per rep. Who is doing a 10 rep set in 2 seconds.

I can't understand the rest of what you said. Don't think it has anything to do with the question I put forward.

Basically I don't like doing deliberately slow reps. Just add more reps to increase tut.

You serious. Clearly per rep. Who is doing a 10 rep set in 2 seconds.

I can't understand the rest of what you said. Don't think it has anything to do with the question I put forward.

Basically I don't like doing deliberately slow reps. Just add more reps to increase tut.

Who the fuck does a rep in 2 seconds?

Basically I don't like doing deliberately slow reps. Just add more reps to increase tut

Why?

Who the fuck does a rep in 2 seconds?

Basically I don't like doing deliberately slow reps. Just add more reps to increase tut

Why?

But you think a set of 10 in 2 seconds is more realistic.

The actual time of the reps wasn't important. What was important was that the total time of both sets was the same. Replace with 3 and 6 seconds or 4 and 8 if that unbunches your panties.

I don't see the point in deliberately slowing down reps. I'll just do more reps.

I see plenty of 2 second reps in powerlifting, which is mega impressive especially when its squats and they are popping back up out of the hole like a jack in a box. Bugger super slow reps how boring is that lol, do paused instead or extra reps if you want more TUT.

But you think a set of 10 in 2 seconds is more realistic.

The actual time of the reps wasn't important. What was important was that the total time of both sets was the same. Replace with 3 and 6 seconds or 4 and 8 if that unbunches your panties.

I don't see the point in deliberately slowing down reps. I'll just do more reps.

You weren't clear for all i know you thought 10 reps for 2 seconds possible, I wanted clarifying.

OK, you say; "total time of both sets was the same" total time of what excactly?

I know Time, but more specifically

My panties are unbunched I'm enjoying this.

I see plenty of 2 second reps in powerlifting, which is mega impressive especially when its squats and they are popping back up out of the hole like a jack in a box. Bugger super slow reps how boring is that lol, do paused instead or extra reps if you want more TUT.

Fuck me

Super slow is something else