• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
squats for low reps depending on leverages arent the best for mass building imo.especially when you dont wear a belt,it tends to thicken your tummy.No disrespect intended but you go look at a guy called Kraftsportno on youtube,he was monster beltless squatter,and he has a huge gut.building big legs is tough.Takes a lot of mental fortitude.

no, gerry, me think squats are overrated. A lot of options out there for legs.

You just cannot see past your beloved powerlifting.

its a lot harder than the prancing about you do.Deadlifters are entitled to disagree here as deadlifting is tough too,but theres a reason why squats are called the king of bodybuilding exercises.its a whole different feeling.i am still getting used to doing them again.they are fun tho.

i think to grow big legs takes volume and variety.i actually have quite skinny legs but growing them isnt my goal,if they get bigger thats a side effect.however to not do them as part of your program if you want bigger pins,to me you are neglecting a vital component of mass building.my opinion.take it or leave it.

however as i alluded to before they do add size to the midsection so for pure aesthetics and once you have size but want to keep your waist small,probably not the best option.

This weeks topic: Legs
· Thighs/Calves. How big are yours?
· How do you train legs?
· What do you think most people do wrong?
· What could you do better?
· Any other questions/comments regarding the topic.

. Bigger than they were before i started working out
. Now, I just do leg press, extensions and curls, my legs are long and I think that using variations of exercises and more importantly variations of rep schemes did the trick, along with pushing myself to the limit.
. I believe most people in general move the weight too fast
. I'm happy with what I've done

its a lot harder than the prancing about you do.Deadlifters are entitled to disagree here as deadlifting is tough too,but theres a reason why squats are called the king of bodybuilding exercises.its a whole different feeling.i am still getting used to doing them again.they are fun tho.

i think to grow big legs takes volume and variety.i actually have quite skinny legs but growing them isnt my goal,if they get bigger thats a side effect.however to not do them as part of your program if you want bigger pins,to me you are neglecting a vital component of mass building.my opinion.take it or leave it.
Hardness =/= effectiveness, except for when you know what I mean. A lot of the difficulty in squats comes from generating enough tightness in the trunk to transfer force from the hips to the shoulders and maintain balance. If you could remove that element of difficulty from the lift and put as much force through the legs, your legs would grow just as much, but it wouldn't be as hard. Squats are called the king of bodybuilding exercises because that's the mantra people keep assigning to squats.

You have skinny legs and growing them isn't your goal. So why exactly are you behaving as though, for bodybuilding purposes, it's your way or the highway?

im sorry im gonna have to get google translator on this case,all i read is you dont like squats and would prefer to do something else and thats ok.i think they are the staple of any good leg program.all varieties.Well Tom Platz did them.i think thats the beauty of weight training,you can design how you train anyway you want.

However i tend to take the approach of following what stronger guys do.The ones that i know ranging from a bit stronger to a lot stronger all squat.However you might of missed the part in my previous post where i said if you were training for pure aesthetics and had a bit of size already,i maybe wouldnt do them 1st.

Theres genetics too,Islanders and Maoris especially are born with big thighs,so if they were training for aesthetics,i probably wouldnt even have them in there.

Last edited:
Personally i find Deadlifting a lot more taxing physically,i know on good squatting days if im feeling good i can bounce pretty quickly.With deadlifts you dont have that luxury.i try to set up to get a small stretch reflex but its a harder exercise for me.ive talked to other guys and they reckon the opposite.

Deadlifters tend to have good hamstring development,so of course they need to be in there as part of a well balanced program.

For me its a case of ill tend to either ignore or skim the opinions of guys weaker than me whilst hanging off the words of guys stronger than me.There are exceptions to this rule as some weaker guys are articulate and get there point across well, but its a filter.So if someone say for example squats benches and deadlifts more,you can rest assured im likely to follow his advices and read everything he writes over someone much weaker.makes sense to me.

bear in mind this is my opinion,im not that good,if you think theres a right or wrong answer,feel free to disregard as you wish.

Last edited:
im sorry im gonna have to get google translator on this case,all i read is you dont like squats and would prefer to do something else and thats ok.i think they are the staple of any good leg program.all varieties.Well Tom Platz did them.i think thats the beauty of weight training,you can design how you train anyway you want.
8/8 for averting any actual engagement with my post.

"thats ok." This is the first time in this thread you've indicated that preferring not to squat is not some kind of deficit to being a full=fledged human being.

As for me personally, this is from my first comment in this thread, which is also THE first comment in this thread, discussing how I train legs: "Mostly variations of squat, deadlift and calf raise, with some Nordic leg curls when I can fit them into the program. I use front squats, high bar, low bar; conventional deadlifts, RDLs/SLDLs/goodmornings, and sometimes deficit/block deadlifts. When I'm at the uni gym, sometimes I'll do leg press. I'll normally train my lower body 2-3 days/wk through a combination of rep ranges -- anywhere between 1-20 reps, and sometimes even higher reps than that."

Probably should have added that I squat and hinge in every lower body workout. But yeah, I probably just don't like squats.
However i tend to take the approach of following what stronger guys do.The ones that i know ranging from a bit stronger to a lot stronger all squat.However you might of missed the part in my previous post where i said if you were training for pure aesthetics and had a bit of size already,i maybe wouldnt do them 1st.

Theres genetics too,Islanders and Maoris especially are born with big thighs,so if they were training for aesthetics,i probably wouldnt even have them in there.
It was easy to miss since you didn't say that. The only thing you said was that beltless squats make your gut big (apparently), so they're not ideal for aesthetics.

8/8 for averting any actual engagement with my post.

"thats ok." This is the first time in this thread you've indicated that preferring not to squat is not some kind of deficit to being a full=fledged human being.

As for me personally, this is from my first comment in this thread, which is also THE first comment in this thread, discussing how I train legs: "Mostly variations of squat, deadlift and calf raise, with some Nordic leg curls when I can fit them into the program. I use front squats, high bar, low bar; conventional deadlifts, RDLs/SLDLs/goodmornings, and sometimes deficit/block deadlifts. When I'm at the uni gym, sometimes I'll do leg press. I'll normally train my lower body 2-3 days/wk through a combination of rep ranges -- anywhere between 1-20 reps, and sometimes even higher reps than that."

Probably should have added that I squat and hinge in every lower body workout. But yeah, I probably just don't like squats.

It was easy to miss since you didn't say that. The only thing you said was that beltless squats make your gut big (apparently), so they're not ideal for aesthetics.

i dont care.train how you please.im not changing how i do things,id rather squat more lol for me 2 days a week aint enough if had better recovery id put in a 3rd back squat day somewhere,im not really engaging you in a head on as im different and im just giving my opinion.

Last edited:
It has minimal capacity for hypertrophy. Certainly not enough to give you a big gut. Lay off the Doritos Gerry.

hehe maybe.having a bit of a tummy may not get you on the cover of any fashion mag but it sure helps with performance.sorry pretty boy wheres your squat at again?