• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
In general, sups aren't very potent. Very few have doses in the mg, so you're unlikely to "overdose" on anything. The only products you need to be careful with would be some pre workouts. If you eat too much protein, you'll get fat, if you consume too many BCAAs, you'll just pee them out.

I don't know where your concern for everyone's safety came from. Especially after telling people they're just not brave enough to start taking gear.

You are the second most closed minded antagonistic prick on this board Baz. Your way of arguing = trolling. Why would anyone bother putting together a comprehensive argument with references to satisfy your trolling? Sometimes your ignorance (or maybe just arrogance) serves you, most of the time you just come across as a dick. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Still can't answer what supps and why.

You like to put health and supps in the same sentience. Do you think it's automatically healthy to supplement above normal levels of certain compounds, with no evidence of a deficiency for no reason other than motivation. Not even to mention many supps have zero safety studies to back them up with before they are sold

Rather than accusing me of trolling why not back up your broad statement about supps enhancing health with even just a single specific bit of information.

Beta-Alanine
Beta-alanine is the building block of carnosine, a molecule that helps to buffer acid in muscles, increasing physical performance in the 60-240-second range. Beta-alanine can aid lean-mass gain. Carnosine appears to be an antioxidant and anti-aging compound.
http://examine.com/supplements/Beta-Alanine/

Branched Chain Amino Acids
Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) are three amino acids with similar structures that beneficially influence the muscles. They can be found in any food containing protein, such as eggs or meat. Supplementation is not necessary, but BCAAs may benefit the body if taken at specific times.
http://examine.com/supplements/Branched+Chain+Amino+Acids/

Creatine
Creatine is a molecule in an energy system (creatine phosphate) that can rapidly produce energy (ATP) to support cellular function. This underlies the performance enhancing and neuroprotective properties of creatine. Creatine is remarkably safe for most people and is a well-researched supplement.
http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

D-Aspartic Acid
D-aspartic acid (D-AA) is an amino acid regulator of testosterone synthesis and may act on a stimulatory receptor (NMDA). D-AA shows promise in aiding male fertility. Healthy men supplementing D-AA experience only temporary increases in testosterone, which limits its use.
http://examine.com/supplements/D-Aspartic+Acid/

Fish Oil
Fish oil is a general health supplement, and is taken as a source of omega-3 fats. It is not needed if one eats enough fatty fish.
http://examine.com/supplements/Fish+Oil/

Vitamin D
Vitamin D is an Essential Vitamin or Mineral known as the sunlight vitamin, since it is synthesized in the skin when exposed to the sun's radiation. It provides benefits for bone structure support, mood state, and much more.
http://examine.com/supplements/Vitamin+D/

Whey Protein
Whey is a component of Milk Protein, with the other being Casein Protein. Whey may be healthier than other forms of protein. The benefits of whey are due to the protein itself, while casein may be a better muscle builder.
http://examine.com/supplements/Whey+Protein/

Caffeine
Caffeine is a stimulatory anti-sleep compound extracted from coffee beans. Habitual caffeine use leads to tolerance, which dulls several of caffeine’s effects.
http://examine.com/supplements/caffeine/

Agmatine
Agmatine is a metabolite of L-Arginine. It shows promise for alleviating neuropathic pain and drug addiction. Agmatine supplementation can also protect from strokes and benefit cognitive health.
http://examine.com/supplements/agmatine/

You are the second most closed minded antagonistic prick on this board Baz. Your way of arguing = trolling. Why would anyone bother putting together a comprehensive argument with references to satisfy your trolling? Sometimes your ignorance (or maybe just arrogance) serves you, most of the time you just come across as a dick. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

There was this old bastard who spent years in the desert using his hands to dig a hole to look for gold, it took him years to dig 5 mtrs, this bloke gave him a spade and said you'll be able to dig faster with this.
The old kent looked at the hole, then looked at the spade and hit the bloke over the head with the spade and continued to dig with his hands.

what's the moral?

In general, People get angry at what they do not understand, in relation to supplements if you need a supplement to keep you working out, you need to re-asses why you are doing it..

Regarding PT's, their job is to coach, to teach a person how to perform an exercise properly, to empower the person to learn and become their own expert, but most PT's cherry-pick the current trend from the latest greatest celebrity.

smoke and mirrors

Still can't answer what supps and why.

You like to put health and supps in the same sentience. Do you think it's automatically healthy to supplement above normal levels of certain compounds, with no evidence of a deficiency for no reason other than motivation. Not even to mention many supps have zero safety studies to back them up with before they are sold

Rather than accusing me of trolling why not back up your broad statement about supps enhancing health with even just a single specific bit of information.

a) I never put health and supps in the same sentence. Do you even comprehension?

b) I never made any assertion about the safety or otherwise of mega dosing. Do you even comprehension?

c) I am not sure why you assume that everyone ingests large amounts of various substances without doing any research to satisfy themselves that it is safe. Jumping to conclusions.

d) I never made a broad statement about supps enhancing health. Do you even literacy?

e) I have zero interest in engaging with you on this topic Baz. I would rather sit in the corner and flagellate myself. It would be more productive.

There was this old bastard who spent years in the desert using his hands to dig a hole to look for gold, it took him years to dig 5 mtrs, this bloke gave him a spade and said you'll be able to dig faster with this.
The old kent looked at the hole, then looked at the spade and hit the bloke over the head with the spade and continued to dig with his hands.

what's the moral?

In general, People get angry at what they do not understand, in relation to supplements if you need a supplement to keep you working out, you need to re-asses why you are doing it..

Regarding PT's, their job is to coach, to teach a person how to perform an exercise properly, to empower the person to learn and become their own expert, but most PT's cherry-pick the current trend from the latest greatest celebrity.

smoke and mirrors

Erm...right on.

There are few things that people literally 'need', even in the training world despite what supplement companies would have you believe. However, if someone garners an, even slight, improvement in performance, recovery, dietary profile, sleep, or whatever aspect of their pursuit is relevant through the use of a supplement, whose place is it to tell them they should not? If you are doing G4P 4 WPC then yes... you should reassess.

Now where's that spade.....

Erm...right on.

There are few things that people literally 'need', even in the training world despite what supplement companies would have you believe. However, if someone garners an, even slight, improvement in performance, recovery, dietary profile, sleep, or whatever aspect of their pursuit is relevant through the use of a supplement, whose place is it to tell them they should not? If you are doing G4P 4 WPC then yes... you should reassess.

Now where's that spade.....

More often than not; we are reluctant to change when results we are receiving is minimal, we are scared to change, we don't want to listen to other views, we just want other people to tell us we are right.
but as they say success come from making mistakes

The "spade" IMO is the workout, adding a cocktail of supplements to achieve, let say a 1% improvement, or "it motivates me", is, well - ignorant... at best.

Last edited:
More often than not; we are reluctant to change when results we are receiving is minimal, we are scared to change, we don't want to listen to other views, we just want other people to tell us we are right.
but as they say success come from making mistakes

As a wise man recently said, you do what you've always done, you get what you've always got.

The "spade" IMO is the workout, adding a cocktail of supplements to achieve, let say a 1% improvement, or "it motivates me", is, well - ignorant... at best.

I agree, but I would like to think that there are not may people taking cocktails of expensive supplements for what they perceive as an intangible benefit or as their primary source of motivation.

i remember days when you could go to a gym, and someone competent in weight training or sport would show you the ropes and give starting program, and for nothing.

they probably still exist, but not in many commercial gyms where you pay for even the most basic of advice.

a) I never put health and supps in the same sentence. Do you even comprehension?

b) I never made any assertion about the safety or otherwise of mega dosing. Do you even comprehension?

c) I am not sure why you assume that everyone ingests large amounts of various substances without doing any research to satisfy themselves that it is safe. Jumping to conclusions.

d) I never made a broad statement about supps enhancing health. Do you even literacy?

e) I have zero interest in engaging with you on this topic Baz. I would rather sit in the corner and flagellate myself. It would be more productive.

For some reason I replied to this post thinking it was Scuba Steve who had made it.

i remember days when you could go to a gym, and someone competent in weight training or sport would show you the ropes and give starting program, and for nothing.

they probably still exist, but not in many commercial gyms where you pay for even the most basic of advice.
Those gyms were proportionally more expensive than gyms are now. Smaller places like that do exist, and they also are more expensive. Remember also that most people fail to achieve their goals. So it goes... you could spend $1,000 to fail, or $2,000 (say) to succeed.

24hr gyms, unattended, $500 a year... fastest-growing part of the industry right now. Fail cheaply!