• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Does the ability to recover increase in proportion to our ability to get stronger (more muscular)?

please share your experience, only if you have been working out *continually* for no less than 3 years.

i suspect we need to do less overall exercise to continue to even stronger.

I don't know about recovery ability being proportionate to our ability to build muscle, but definitely over time you are ale to handle increased loads/volume as a result of CNS adaptations and increased muscle mass.

Explain your theory on increasing strength by training less.

I disagree, as i get stronger and rep out on heavier loads I take the piss out of my body more, takes longer to recover.
No fancy scientificular words, just how I feel over the years, than again it could also be due to getting older.

I used to work out 6-7 times per week before focussing on strength as a priority, although was getting stronger during that time. I used to recover really fast.
I take longer to recover now but I've been lifting much heavier loads over recent years.
I workout 4 times per week now (occasional short sesh for cardio fitness in warmer months). Each session knocks it out of me but my strength is much greater now. So I have to agree a little with Grunta.

Although, one has to factor in age etc. As I get older, I need more recovery time, plus injuries can mean you need more time to recover.

But I think you have something in the amount of exercise required to maintain or gain strength. IMHO, I need to do less quantity but better quality of exercise to gain more strength as it increases.

So, maybe our ability to recover is not proportionate to your ability to get stronger or build muscle as I said, but if it has not improved e.g. you are not lifting more/lifting heavier than you were a couple of years ago, cet par, then you would have to question if something is amiss. For example, if you looked back at your training diary and reverted to a program from a few years ago you would (should) find it significantly easier than your current one, and recovery should not be an issue.

for sure it gets easier to build muscle, to a certain degree.

but is it from better mind-muscle connection, better improved nutrition, more advanced training... too many factors at play.

I think as you get stronger it outpaces your improvements in your ability to recover but definitely don't see any not professional athletes coming close to pushing that boundary and especially anyone posting here.

lol?Baz i remember getting stapled by my 3rd squat and it put me in bed the next day,not because i was sore or hurt but i was farked from the shock of it.its real easy to over train either by doing too much volume or getting maxed hard.mate if you dunno wat im talking about then you guys must train like pussies.Its a very real thing.

Last edited:
bro some of those Russian programs will end your lifting career if you aint careful.Shit man.on the flip side theres guys lifting waaaay more than me back in the gym the next day after maxing big at comps.wat da.you gotta build that capacity up by dancing on that line man however you go over it,it can rek ya.

Last edited:
Lol. It's all in your head. Just because things get hard doesn't mean your are overtraining. Pushing through the hard stuff is how you improve.

I lol at the people who think they overtrain from lifting a handful of hours a week.

yeah but its maybe not the time in the gym its the intensity % of your max and the tonnage you are moving.Brother Baz are ye trolling me?im feeling all antsy reading you being so dismissive.loools.its ok,man all i can say is some guys like my little self do overtrain.must have the capacity of a hummingbird.

Last edited:
yeah but its maybe not the time in the gym its the intensity % of your max and the tonnage you are moving.Bother Baz are ye trolling me?im feeling all antsy reading you being so dismissive.loools

Lol. You are joking right. It's not percent either. Total tonnage is better but is not a perfect measure either.

Like I said its in your head. No one posing here needs to worry about overtraining, it's a nice excuse to do less.

oh boy im starting to get quite emotional nao.You are quite clearly playing with my feelings.i need to be more cold and calculated when expressing myself with you lolol.my head explodes if i train too much.must be from all the shit in it.lols

Last edited:
Playing with your feelings because I basically said training a couple hours a day a few times a week at most isn't overtraining. Ok sure.

No one posting here needs to worry about overtraining, it's a nice excuse to do less.
I agree with this

And before anyone like Gerry or whatever the fuck he calls himself these days, gets all upset and antsy, we are talking about the regular gym rat, that's you, me and 99.9999999% of the bastards here who will never have to even think about ever overtraining.

You need the high volume to get bigger but when you have that base it's hard on your body to move that much weight around all the time for very high volumes

Those of you that say you can't comprehend over-training, you are either genetically elite or have never trained hard enough for long enough that you chronically exceed your body's ability to recover. You should try it. It teaches you things.

No it's the guys saying they are over trained are just convincing themselves they are. Just being tired or feeling sluggish after training for a couple months isn't overtraining.