• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Tendons and joint health are the limiting factors to my training progression as the years tick by, it seems.

No it's the guys saying they are over trained are just convincing themselves they are. Just being tired or feeling sluggish after training for a couple months isn't overtraining.

do you even lift?

Does the ability to recover increase in proportion to our ability to get stronger (more muscular)?

please share your experience, only if you have been working out *continually* for no less than 3 years.

i suspect we need to do less overall exercise to continue to even stronger.

Back to the original question. No I don't think we as an average trainer need to do less to get stronger.

Now an elite athlete who have been training 8 hours a day since they were 12 and is now 30 probably needs to do it differently to keep things going but that isn't any of us.

Those of you that say you can't comprehend over-training, you are either genetically elite or have never trained hard enough for long enough that you chronically exceed your body's ability to recover. You should try it. It teaches you things.
Oh I can comprehend overtraining but we are talking about something different here, it's whether it actually exists for the regular gym rat for him or her to worry about it.

From what I can tell, I think we actually need to exercise more and be more mobile as we get older and adjust how we exercise accordingly, of course there'll come a time no matter how much we try age and death will eventually catch up to us.

For powerlifting guys it definitely exists (serious bb guys too i would guess). There is a maximum recoverable volume point for everyone. But you guys are right, i highly doubt anyone here exceeds it 'for too long'.
Weve all had sessions where we have exceeded it, and probably taken a small deload thereafter.
If you exceeded it for way too long you can fuck shit up. This is the point most regular joes will never hit imo. But its not as hard to hit as you all might think.

There is a spectacularly good book out currently "The Scientific Principles of Strength Training" plus many other great texts in which this book makes great reference too.
You would all do well to have a read.

Yep read that book and a fair chunk of supertraining at one point.

You don't get overtraining from one session or even a couple weeks of heavy training.

A drop off in performance isn't overtraining our strength can fluctuate if we are overtraining or not.

I would bet that there is only a very small percentage of people that could ever achieve overtraining even if they try. Takes a strong person mentally to keep pushing and those with that gift and the time to train are not on Internet forums and talking about overtraining and training themselves.

The vast majority of powerlifters are no different than the average gym rat. Doing sheiko programs a couple times a week doesn't make you elite.

Yes the elite guys lifting elite weights are a different story.

Last edited:
Yep read that book and a fair chunk of supertraining at one point.

You don't get overtraining from one session or even a couple weeks of heavy training.

A drop off in performance isn't overtraining our strength can fluctuate if we are overtraining or not.

I would bet that there is only a very small percentage of people that could ever achieve overtraining even if they try. Takes a strong person mentally to keep pushing and those with that gift and the time to train are not on Internet forums and talking about overtraining and training themselves.

The vast majority of powerlifters are no different than the average gym rat. Doing sheiko programs a couple times a week doesn't make you elite.

Yes the elite guys lifting elite weights are a different story.
Yep.

And yep.

I think that for a seasoned weight lifter that has gone through thousands of workouts at a very high intensity of work, lifting very heavy weight week after week year after year reaches a point where progression is very very slow and recovery from those workouts take longer to achieve, I find myself reducing the intensity whereby I'm just doing a maintenance type workout every fourth session.

if I don't give myself time, I become very tired and irritable and such, muscles start twitching all over, lose my appetite, and my HR increases.

I've also noticed that after a break of more than two days between workouts, I'm totally ready to go, and smash previous bests.

I have a choice to either do a lot and often, less intense, or what I'm doing now, but because of my make-up, I hate doing the former option.

I've been approaching this option for the last 25 years, and I do feel the over-training is a real thing and more common than people realize.

try doing alot with high intensity and resting more between training sessions. (not rest between sets!)

best of both worlds and you become a beast.

its extremely rare if ever i see anyone with my work ethic training. hardly anyone even breaks a sweat (they rest so much between sets).
comments about nobody overtraining, are reflections on themselves, not what happens in the real world. some of us learned to train from really good people, and push very very hard. unlike the ones posting overtraining is a myth. they don't have the balls to train hard or push themselves.

its extremely rare if ever i see anyone with my work ethic training. hardly anyone even breaks a sweat (they rest so much between sets).
comments about nobody overtraining, are reflections on themselves, not what happens in the real world. some of us learned to train from really good people, and push very very hard. unlike the ones posting overtraining is a myth. they don't have the balls to train hard or push themselves.

You didn't read what I said. I never said overtraining is a myth. I said it's not anything people posting on this forum need to worry about.

You didn't read what I said. I never said overtraining is a myth. I said it's not anything people posting on this forum need to worry about.

its not something you need to worry about. lets get that 100% right.
don't project your faults on others.

its not something you need to worry about. lets get that 100% right.
don't project your faults on others.

Because I don't have such shitty genetics that I overtrain at the sight of a gym. Lol

It's ok you have your crappy genetics where you overtrain all the time I prefer mine.

Yeah yeah I know you train harder than anyone in the world.

I've weight trained 7 days a week, some days twice a day. With footy training 3-4 times a week as well as working physical job 7 days a week and never overtrained.

Because I don't have such shitty genetics that I overtrain at the sight of a gym. Lol

It's ok you have your crappy genetics where you overtrain all the time I prefer mine.

Yeah yeah I know you train harder than anyone in the world.

I've weight trained 7 days a week, some days twice a day. With footy training 3-4 times a week as well as working physical job 7 days a week and never overtrained.

yeah and you still look like a fat pig. great job! i wish i could be as good as you hahaha!
you seriously fail on so many aspects.

yeah and you still look like a fat pig. great job! i wish i could be as good as you hahaha!
you seriously fail on so many aspects.

You do realize the ability to overtrain is a negative. Lol.

How do you know if I'm fat?

I've got abs at 105kg and lift twice as much as you, I'm happy with how I'm going.