• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mr0ops

Ok, first post, It's a bit random and I hope I've put it in the right spot...

I'm just curious which method people are using to measure body fat percentage.

I have a set of scales that supposedly measures fat and water percentages but I have never trusted it. I know of the pinch test (although never done it) and have also heard of a float test which measures buoyancy compared to mass and works out a percentage from there. Apparently this is the most accurate but no idea where you would get it done or if it's even practical.

So, what do you blokes use?

The BF% scales you can buy for home aren't even worth testing with. Their reading is a bit of a lucky dip and your hydration will affect the result.

Calipers are more accurate, but there's room for error.

DEXA scans are the most accurate and can be done for around $80-90.

I've recently had an In-Body scan and they were surprisingly detailed and accurate. These are probably most cost effective at $30.

just go by the mirror man

if you dont look good improve

get some other advice as the mind can play tricks

Are you a professional bodybuilder?
Otherwise the mirror or your pants are pretty accurate
But what if you're 6% bf and have a fat in your pants?

ba644075317a48261a16665b3fa63eee.jpg

Someone asks about legit ways of measuring body fat. They get a thread full of replies not answering the question. Great work guys.

The BF% scales you can buy for home aren't even worth testing with. Their reading is a bit of a lucky dip and your hydration will affect the result.

Calipers are more accurate, but there's room for error.

DEXA scans are the most accurate and can be done for around $80-90.

I've recently had an In-Body scan and they were surprisingly detailed and accurate. These are probably most cost effective at $30.

Calipers are rubbish in my opinion. You need a baseline of what bf% you are to work out how accurate you are with them. The scans are the most accurate.

The home scales are 90% shithouse and wouldn't waste money on them.

Where did you get the In-body done?

Where did you get the In-body done?

I got it done through these guys who were doing free scans as a promotion at the MJ Norwood store opening.
https://www.facebook.com/bodyscanfreedomfit

I was skeptical about it, seeing it's essentially a bathroom scale bodyfat test using impedance, but with 2 extra contact points that you hold onto. I was very surprised at how detailed the printout was. I was chatting to some of the other people getting tested and their results looked legit as well. They claim it's within 95% accurate of a DEXA scan.

This is my printout from 2 months ago.

20150718_212024_Copy.jpg

Navy method is about as half arsed as anything else so I use that if I can be bothered measuring more than waist.

Otherwise, the gut suck test when putting on pants is a perfectly cromulent way of doing it.

The only truly accurate way of measuring body fat involves lots of cutting and some death.

How committed are you?

Navy method is about as half arsed as anything else so I use that if I can be bothered measuring more than waist.

Otherwise, the gut suck test when putting on pants is a perfectly cromulent way of doing it.

Reps for cromulent.

*You are on spread but will go on stand-by list.

Last edited:
I regularly give the hot Latina chick at work a bf test, never involved any scales, calibers scanners or congigulators, all done the old way, by hand, I'm very accurate, always triple check.

No one here will or could ever be like Casey Viator, or Sergio Olivia regardless of diet and types of workouts used, but I lie you will be the same... the day your'e dead, then you'll be exactly the same.

Last edited: