• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I have one of those fitbit things, My weekly average is 8500 steps, somtimes I register 15000.

It's quite cool, My last weights workout on the 12/9;
40 minutes
6 minutes was spent in cardio
33 mins was spent in fat burn
1 minute was spent in peak

mine is one I carry in pocket, or attached to pants. cheap as.

did around 25,000 steps other day, equivalent to over 20km walking. Included to sessions, one sprinting.

I will never do less than 8000 a day after realising how little exercise I did when at home, writing in front of tv.

Today, up to 7000, but will get over 10,000 today.

Wow you guys dont mess around hey?! 3 pages in under 24 hrs... nice.

The BF% scales you can buy for home aren't even worth testing with. Their reading is a bit of a lucky dip and your hydration will affect the result.

Calipers are more accurate, but there's room for error.

DEXA scans are the most accurate and can be done for around $80-90.

I've recently had an In-Body scan and they were surprisingly detailed and accurate. These are probably most cost effective at $30.

Great info, exactly what I was after, thanks mate.

Calipers are rubbish in my opinion. You need a baseline of what bf% you are to work out how accurate you are with them. The scans are the most accurate.

The home scales are 90% shithouse and wouldn't waste money on them.

Where did you get the In-body done?

This is a really good point. I am all about having a baseline too, which is kinda why I posted the question. Coz you know... science and stuff

The only truly accurate way of measuring body fat involves lots of cutting and some death.

How committed are you?

This nearly made me spit my coffee out. Funny stuff ;)

Thanks to all the other posters too... even the smart asses ;)

Last edited:
But what if you're 6% bf and have a fat in your pants?

ba644075317a48261a16665b3fa63eee.jpg
In this situation you take your pants off, never waste a good fat

Calipers are cheap but will always underestimate by a few percent, the electronic impedance scales are not overly accurate but you will be able to get a trend over time. Dexa scans are the most accurate and readily available method but not cheap. If you want to determine BF% for general interest maybe get a dexa and then use calipers to monitor in conjunction with weight gains. Test as many sites as you can reach.

Calipers are cheap but will always underestimate by a few percent, the electronic impedance scales are not overly accurate but you will be able to get a trend over time. Dexa scans are the most accurate and readily available method but not cheap. If you want to determine BF% for general interest maybe get a dexa and then use calipers to monitor in conjunction with weight gains. Test as many sites as you can reach.

Thanks for your input mate.

Its really the "trend over time" that I'm most interested in rather than an absolute figure. I'm naturally lean but can't help thinking that a lot of the fat I do store ends up on the inside (ie around organs etc.) and is therefore hard to gauge either visually, or with calipers. Kind of out of site out of mind I guess. However, after having just over 2 years off from any serious training, I'm just about to jump back in the deep end and I'm the kind of person that gets motivated by measurable results. This thread has helped a lot and given me a good place to start!

Cheers ;)

In-Body scans seem to be the best bet if you're just a tad curious. Dexas are hella expensive. Callipers are pinch test are about as accurate as my aim at the urinal.. ie not very!!