• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Who lifts for 2-4 reps and has a short break or 10-12 reps with a long break?

If I'm under 5 reps, it's usually a 2-3 minute rest. If I'm doing 8-12 then it will be 45-60 sec breaks.

What do you class as heavy and often sparts? I see no issue in going under 3 reps once a week for each compound movement. If you were doing it a few times a week it may be different but you'd also likely be training that way for a specific reason

yes, good point white lie. test should be heavy weights, longer rest v high volume shorter rests.

still interesting.

yes, good point white lie. test should be heavy weights, longer rest v high volume shorter rests.

still interesting.

Unless I'm reading it wrong that was what they did...

they did their weight sets at 70 percent of their maximal weight and rested for one minute between sets. [High Volume; HI] On the other occasion the men did their weight sets at 90 percent of their maximal weight and rested for three minutes between sets. [High Intensity; HI]

I did quickly scan the bulk of the article the first time but here's the opening paragraph...

Resistance training where you use weights with which you can manage 10-14 reps and take rests of several minutes in between probably results in just as much muscle growth as training that involves weight with which you can only manage 2-4 reps and one-minute rest periods

so we were right first time still interesting piece though, don't you think. In terms of muscle growth, lower intensity trained also worked.

I did quickly scan the bulk of the article the first time but here's the opening paragraph...

Resistance training where you use weights with which you can manage 10-14 reps and take rests of several minutes in between probably results in just as much muscle growth as training that involves weight with which you can only manage 2-4 reps and one-minute rest periods

Yes I see. Must be a typo somewhere.

so we were right first time still interesting piece though, don't you think. In terms of muscle growth, lower intensity trained also worked.

Yes I see. Must be a typo somewhere.

Well I'm not sure
The conclusion says essentially the same thing as the opening paragraph but where the data/test was done says what Fudgey is saying (and how I would expect it to have been done).

I think to get accurate results you'd need to test more than 10 well trained people.

I think a mix of both over time is best, when you think of the ratio of twitch fibers determines force x time and that ratios of slow and fast twitch vary throughout the body and from one person to the next.

for example, Tests done had noted that very strong people that lose strength quite quickly which would indicate that heavy weight and low rep would be the best way to train

its a bit like bulgarian v soviet weightlifting training debate. both work.

That's right. Nonetheless there will continue to be heated arguments between on-line experts over this and most other aspects of training in aeternum.

Train the way you enjoy I say.

spot on, if you enjoy going heavy, and are smart enough to know how much recovery you need, go for it. Probably most common way of getting great results from what I have seen.

if you hate going heavy, at least often (as i do), train lighter with shorter rests. I have also seen a lot of bb's do well this way.

If you have no idea, follow a template from one of the iron game gurus.

I was fortunate to be a track club when young, with champion athletes and scholars who were wary of too much intensity, too often. they always delivered results in the form of champion throwers who hardly ever killed themselves in gym.

while I never got hugely strong for a number of reasons, I am pretty sure the latter also works, as study suggests.