• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Johnnie Walker

Borderline Kunce
Who here lunges?

Ive started doing them (after never really doing them before) after my skuawts, they really are a next level vomit inducing suffering.

I always kinda thought lunges were a bit of a joke, associated them with the rubbish PTs at FF for some reason, until I tried them. They are so tough, especially if you are not used to them.
Only takes a little weight to make them burrrrrrrn

I mainly do lunges.

With squats I use a lot of back and get a lot of lower back trouble due to poor flexibility, but standing and walking lunges ensure I work legs by keeping upright. Fact is I struggle on 30kg barbell lunges for 10 reps each legs.

I also do stepups, leg extensions, leg curls, and jump squats wit bodyweight. got sick of leg presses lately.

Iso-lateral exercise is very good particularly for the lower body it enables you to squat quite deep safely without loading the spine, I've never been keen on walking lunges because you can only load up to a point before stability becomes the issue.
The Hammer Strength squat\lunge platform is great for this.

yes, I tend to do walking version when already pre-exhausted thighs in order to reduce weight used. Sort of dangerous with heavy weight.

I've always done them, as they seem more of a compound movement than extensions or leg press. Used to always do walking lunges with dumbbells. Recently been doing forward stepping lunges as I feel they target the quads more.

Love/hate relationship. I just do bw at the end of my leg workouts.
Cory Gregory does a mile of them like some kind of mad kunce. Started with 400m, then 800m and has been doing the mile more recently

today I did 10 reps each leg on 40kg standing lunges, first time since serious knee stress fracture (2011).

Then tried to do walking lunges, but stopped because reps on 20kg was too heavy.

Me weak legs.

today I did 10 reps each leg on 40kg standing lunges, first time since serious knee stress fracture (2011).

Then tried to do walking lunges, but stopped because reps on 20kg was too heavy.

Me weak legs.

Funnily enough I can use much more weight with static lunges too, and more reps even though the focus is all on one leg, not alternating.

I do alternate each rep, start with my weak leg (left) first.

I think it is a great exercise.

I used to watch (with envy) my roided huge mates doing 100kg such lunges after their squats.

the other issue with lunging is that your ROM is limited and or restricted by the opposite leg, meaning that you are only doing a sort of half squat which is not ideal and would need to supplement other exercises to improve hip flexibility (glutes), you need to go much deeper, by using the hammer piece, you can place the opposite leg on the bar behind, and perform a full squat position safely, much more safely than the barbell version of the "full" squat which is impossible for most.

If one can do a full lunge using heavy weight safely, I feel that there is no need for any other lower body exercise

From my experience I've noted that the first muscle group to often suffer over the years are the glutes, as these big muscles rarely receive a good workout over the years, and most older trainees blame weak legs when in fact it's the glutes that lose strength and flexibilty.

imo, lunges may be limited in range of motion, but I always get sore in glutes.

also I do stepups on 60cm bench, for greater range of motion.

However, I am not sure there is need for 100% range of motion in any leg exercise, at least for most sports. Full squats are great, and I wish I could do them, but I do not believe they are necessary.

I have known many powerful and huge people that never went past parallel.

Yes lunges are a real good glute exercise and probably why you feel sore in the glute they will impact on the glutes more than many of the conventional ones that we do (for the glute) that being your squat variations including dead-lifts variations and leg-presses.

Unlike you Spart, I'm 100% for full range movement under load on every exercise, taking the glute full range from stretch to contraction under tension is going to reduce the occurrence of spasms and pain later down the track, but as with most things some get away with bad practices and some don't

no, I wish I could do squats full range; just making the point that you may be able to work the entire leg area by hitting a number of exercises.

I agree with your points, especially in terms of maximising efficiency and delivering results through a few key exercises.

I admit my flawed approach has probably caused a lot of my physical problems, albeit I always manage to work around them.

I do include full range squats, but only in terms of the jump version and my limited flexibility.

If I am on right track, I should see my l power go p again, rather than down. But we shall see.

Is the hammer strength machine you speak of like a Bulgarian split squat Goosey? Can you get the same ROM from using a flat bench or box?

Is the hammer strength machine you speak of like a Bulgarian split squat Goosey? Can you get the same ROM from using a flat bench or box?

if you start at 1:54 you can see what I'm talking about, minus the stupid ball he's on, you're able to go real deep, unlike what he's doing in the vid, he's only going shallow.

Here's a real effective glute machine

Here is a machine that allows you to go full range, only iso-metrics allow this for most