• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Yes lunges are a real good glute exercise and probably why you feel sore in the glute they will impact on the glutes more than many of the conventional ones that we do (for the glute) that being your squat variations including dead-lifts variations and leg-presses.

As long as you take a reasonably long stride and go balls deep.

I don't like them due to an old ankle injury and the way my knees feel doing them, but lunges are a pretty good quad exercise. They get the rectus femoris (front-most quad muscle) in a way that squats and leg presses can't. Earlier this year I had a play around with what I'm calling Jefferson lunges: lunges with the bar starting dead on the floor between your legs. First time I've really been able to load them up, although it's an awkward position and can limit ROM. Now that I'm post-comp, I might reintroduce lunges to my training, and see if I have the balls to load them up with the bar on my back.

That's a shrug machine turkeys.
Yep, can't say I've ever seen anyone lunge in there. Especially with their rear leg on the bar.
Generally when I do see it in use, it's either for shrugs or some kind of deadlift.

I'll give it a go sometime

Walking lunges for me. 20kg DB's in each hand and if I can make it to 12 reps each side, I celebrate.

My PT has strongly advised me to shift my weight backwards more like in a Bulgarian split squat as I lunge. That seems to hit the glutes a bit more, less reliant on the quads.

Yeah I've seen some dudes do BB walking lunges with plates on either side with added bitch pad for extra comfort.. I think that is asking for trouble once things go pear shaped!

Who here lunges?

Ive started doing them (after never really doing them before) after my skuawts, they really are a next level vomit inducing suffering.

Did them many years ago, good all round leg exercise.

I always kinda thought lunges were a bit of a joke, associated them with the rubbish PTs at FF for some reason, until I tried them. They are so tough, especially if you are not used to them.
Only takes a little weight to make them burrrrrrrn

I thought they seemed more suited to females when i was young, then tried them myself and realised how deep a burn they give.