• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fister Roboto

Irish Kunce
Started this to answer some of the questions that arose when I said that I was eating vegan for September. [MENTION=15941]steveP[/MENTION]; [MENTION=9251]Darkoz[/MENTION];

All the chatter on youtube about veganism prompted me to read some of the studies and research papers (mostly the conclusions admittedly) and for 3 reasons, I would like to start making more conscious decisions about the animal products I eat:
- There's pretty conclusive evidence that a vegan diet leads to better heart health. Again, I don't intend to eat vegan forever but I don't think cutting down my meat intake will do me any harm
- California is in a crazy drought that will probably continue for many years. The amount of water consumed in the production of meat is staggering. Granted, a lot of water is used farming crops but from what I can see, it's not comparable
- I have no issue eating animals but I have been finding it hard to reconcile being an animal lover but also eating the meat of animals that have been subject to cruelty.

So essentially, I am doing this to make myself aware of the fact that I have lots of options other than animal products.

I am tracking macros and surprisingly, it's not difficult to hit what I need.

I am not particularly worried about loss of size/strength. The way I see it, if I am hitting macro and calorie goals, why would I be?

Not being a smart arse but rather than one extreme or the other the best option for you is eat vegetarian and add small amount of meat.

Growing food full stop requires lots water. There is always going to be one part of the world in drought.

Meat does require more water than plants but we are eating them for different reasons. Eggs have similar water use per kg protein compared to plants.

Why do you assume farmed animals are subject to cruelty.

Ah. You have succumbed to the Californian hippy atmosphere over there. Not to worry. Just move to Texas and you will suddenly feel the need to eat meat, own a gun and hate everybody north of Amarillo.

Yea you are most likely right. As I said, this is a temporary experiment and I will most likely end up eating they way you suggested.

Some farmed animals are DEFINITELY subjected to cruelty, especially here. Depends on your definition of cruelty I guess but you only need watch some of the docos out there on the conditions some animals are raised in to see that.

Also with regard to eggs, I'm sure if I find some that come from ethical farms I will eat those too once the 30 days is up

Yea you are most likely right. As I said, this is a temporary experiment and I will most likely end up eating they way you suggested.

Some farmed animals are DEFINITELY subjected to cruelty, especially here. Depends on your definition of cruelty I guess but you only need watch some of the docos out there on the conditions some animals are raised in to see that.

Of course there are some poor farms. Just like any industry but doesn't mean it's the norm. Also don't just go by what you see on animal rights Facebook pages or documentaries. You know it's heavily edited to push their agenda. Don't let the poor exception cloud what actually goes on.

Most farmers look after their animals better than most people look after themselves. It makes sense as healthy, happy animals is what the survival of your business rides on.

The latest thing is for animal rights people to get jobs on farms and film themselves handling animals poorly and put it on Facebook. So don't take these videos as gospel. I think the U.S. has made it illegal for animal rights people to get jobs on farms now.

I've seen dozens of large dairy farms in the U.S. With 10s of thousands of dairy cows in total and they where extremely well run farms and a credit to the owners. I wish the general public could see what actually goes on in well run farms but that doesn't make for a great documentary.

Yea look I'm sure you're right mate but there are also farms with terrible conditions. As I noted, the whole point of this for me is to make more conscious choices about where I up buying my meat and the vegan month is just a way for me to explore my alternatives so I can cut down on my meat intake. This also means I'll be able to spend more money on the meat I do eat (as I'm sure you know, generally the more you can trace where meat comes from the more expensive it is)

Thanks for your input!

Yea look I'm sure you're right mate but there are also farms with terrible conditions. As I noted, the whole point of this for me is to make more conscious choices about where I up buying my meat and the vegan month is just a way for me to explore my alternatives so I can cut down on my meat intake. This also means I'll be able to spend more money on the meat I do eat (as I'm sure you know, generally the more you can trace where meat comes from the more expensive it is)

Thanks for your input!

Read again. I said there are farms with terrible conditions, I'm not debating that, I have one up the road from me. Trust me, most farmers want them out of the industry as well. It's not the look we want but it's not the norm.

In general all these meats and foods from these boutique type farms(eg organic, biodynamic, raw, grass fed) are a waste of time and are often worse for the environment and animals. Figures from the U.S. Show that the large corporate farms that cop the heat actually have lower death rates and lower antibiotic use than the smaller family farms. This is partly due to the ability to hire specialized people with greater knowledge and give better care but that doesn't suit the current anti corporate farm narrative these days.

It's funny in the U.S. The quality requirements for raw milk are LOWER than what is conventionally sold as pasteurized milk. They have somehow managed to avoid getting health inspections like every normal farm needs to.

Read again. I said there are farms with terrible conditions, I'm not debating that, I have one up the road from me. Trust me, most farmers want them out of the industry as well. It's not the look we want but it's not the norm.

In general all these meats and foods from these boutique type farms(eg organic, biodynamic, raw, grass fed) are a waste of time and are often worse for the environment and animals. Figures from the U.S. Show that the large corporate farms that cop the heat actually have lower death rates and lower antibiotic use than the smaller family farms. This is partly due to the ability to hire specialized people with greater knowledge and give better care but that doesn't suit the current anti corporate farm narrative these days.

It's funny in the U.S. The quality requirements for raw milk are LOWER than what is conventionally sold as pasteurized milk. They have somehow managed to avoid getting health inspections like every normal farm needs to.

Again, if that's the case, I'm sure it will become apparent as I do my own research, but thanks for the pointers.

Keep in mind, this isn't the only reason I'm doing this.

Again, if that's the case, I'm sure it will become apparent as I do my own research, but thanks for the pointers.

Keep in mind, this isn't the only reason I'm doing this.

Doing own research doesn't involve trolling the net for answers either, well if you want accurate answers.

6f861c89747fb715af7cbcd0ecaefab2.jpg

Just passed this coincidentally

Go to farmer's markets. You can find good quality, though over priced, chicken and beef there. And bacon. Oh yeah. Bacon like you never tasted.

Did I mention teh baconz?

fc043795fc199de52f1486589a0a8c38.jpg

Just smashing a pork filet as I type this, it's thick, soft, lean but not dry, you gonna struggle to find a worthy replacement, bro.

6f861c89747fb715af7cbcd0ecaefab2.jpg

Just passed this coincidentally

It's basically the same with every area of agriculture.

Farmers markets make me lol. I have one less than 5 min drive from me and I personally know some of the farmers selling stuff, hell im related to one. Let's just say buying stuff from a farmers market is no guarantee of quality. But it seems buying stuff from farmers market is the trendy thing to these days and some farmers make a little pocket money so I don't really have an issue with it. The alternative medicine stuff that makes it there can get fucked though.

Also food from a farmers market has bypassed all the Heath testing and regulations but people convince themselves it's better.

Last edited: