• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
If you're a big runner like me you know what I'm talking about when I describe that euphoric feeling you get in the middle of your workout — when your feet feel like they are floating over the ground and you can almost hear the air dancing past you.
It turns out it's not all in your mind.
Scientists at the University of Montreal have discovered that the hormone leptin — nicknamed the "satiety hormone" — may be at play.
The primary purpose of leptin is in regulating energy stores. It signals to the body when it has enough fuel and energy, and in previous studies researchers have found that levels of leptin appear to fluctuate in people suffering from obesity, starvation, sleep deprivation and emotional stress. When you're in motion, your leptin levels may fall, and the researchers said this could "send a hunger signal to the brain's pleasure center to generate the rewarding effects of running."
Writing in the journal Cell Metabolism on Tuesday, Stephanie Fulton and her co-authors drew physiological parallels between people seeking out the rewarding effects of running and the reasons they eat when they are hungry.
imrs.php

(iStock)

In an experiment with mice, researchers compared normal mice to those that were genetically engineered to lack a leptin-sensitive protein called STAT3 that relays the leptin signal to release the reward chemical dopamine. The normal mice ran a decent amount each day, logging an average of six kilometers a day on a running wheel. But the genetically engineered mice ran an extraordinary amount, nearly twice as much as the normal mice — 11 kilometers — each day.
The new study supports previous research in humans that showed that low leptin levels are associated with exercise addiction and fast marathon times.
Fulton wrote that while leptin is probably n

ot the only thing controlling the high of running, the study "suggests that people with lower fat-adjusted leptin levels, such as high-performance marathon runners, could potentially be more susceptible to the rewarding effects of running and thus possibly more inclined to exercise."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...unning-makes-you-happy/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_lean

Over the last 10 weeks I've trained to be able to run 12km and not once have I ever felt this runners high that people speak of. I hated it, all I got was burning legs and numb toes. I've always been terrible at running though and I don't see too many 100kg+ people running out there.

Yeah all I've ever felt is sore ankles and knees and have to listen to that monotonous thud of each painful step.

Fuck I hate running.

I find it hard, I suppose anyone reasonably heavy does.

However, i have to get my 1500m down for March 2016 comp, so will need to do a bit.

I love a good road run! Not sure I get the 'runners high', but its a good way for me to clear the head & not think about work. Put on a podcast or some good tunes & I could run for hours

I never feel like I'm floating over the ground on long runs. I feel like an elephant running with a limp and trying not to die.
Sprints on the other hand, I love. I actually incorporate them into my training now, because I enjoy them. My goal is to run a sub 12 sec 100m.

I love a good road run! Not sure I get the 'runners high', but its a good way for me to clear the head & not think about work. Put on a podcast or some good tunes & I could run for hours

Same. It's the reason I go hiking once a week. It's the juxtaposition to sitting in a office all day. Plus when you have a good podcast and tune everything else out, 2 hours fly by.

:)

Good aim to break 12 seconds; good luck with it. first aim would be to break 7.8 for 60m, as this part of race key to your 100m potential. Last 40m is about learning to run tall, relaxed and holding form.

Obviously, bodyweight can be an issue last 40m, but 12 second is a realistic goal to start with for you given pretty good leg strength.

Same. It's the reason I go hiking once a week. It's the juxtaposition to sitting in a office all day. Plus when you have a good podcast and tune everything else out, 2 hours fly by.

I thought hiking is meant to be a mindful experience, you take in the sounds and sights of your surroundings and express gratitude all day long. At least that's what the shrink says!

Running, on the other hand, requires music and the like lasted into the ear canal to block out the screaming thoughts questioning your sanity for continuing despite shin splints and lungs that are on fire.

I thought hiking is meant to be a mindful experience, you take in the sounds and sights of your surroundings and express gratitude all day long. At least that's what the shrink says!

It is, but how many times can you take in the same hill lol.

What I really hate is being overtaken by someone who looks like they've never worked out before and I think they're thinking how unfit I am.
Sprints, HIIT, Bas Rutten workouts I am much more suited to and enjoy.

:)

Good aim to break 12 seconds; good luck with it. first aim would be to break 7.8 for 60m, as this part of race key to your 100m potential. Last 40m is about learning to run tall, relaxed and holding form.

Obviously, bodyweight can be an issue last 40m, but 12 second is a realistic goal to start with for you given pretty good leg strength.

To be honest, I could already be there with virtually no training. I had a 100m run with some work mates, and nobody gave me a chance but I blew them away.
I seem to be good at it, I love sprinting and wish I'd kept at it. My frame starts off pretty slowly, but I get up and moving past 40m, then need another 100m to slow down...lol