• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
B

Berniemac

Hey guys new here, will post up my full routine in another thread.

Big fan of stiff-legged deads for hitting the hams, but I seem to be struggling with the technique. I seem to feel it more in my lower back.

Watched a few videos but not really helping.

Also, I've gone right down in weight and just using a 10kg bar, which is light as, and that helps a bit, and squeezing the gluts at the top.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as ham are a real weak point for me.

Also what are people's opinions on doing Romanians, I kinda understand they're a slight variation but bugger me if they don't seem the same.

2 tips that will fix your form:

1. Don't think of tipping forwards at the hips, but pushing your glutes backwards.
2. Use a plank of wood or plates under your toes to get a better stretch in the hamstrings.

Tip one is a bit of both not one or the other, the body works as one nipple dick.
tip 2? just no.

This is exactly what the other thread was talking about. I'm giving genuine tips that will help this guy out, and you're just arguing over semantics and arguing for arguments sake.

Some things will never change. Congrats on shitting on this thread already.

OP have you watched Alan Thrall's video on it? It's very good...along with most of his vids

If even 10kg is making your lower back sore, my guestimation is that you aren't using your core properly, so all the torque is taken up by the erectors. If you aren't doing this already, learn to draw your belly and your balls into your body with your chest up -- this will help to activate and control your transverse abdominis, which is directly involved in supporting the spine.

On SteveP and Silverback:
1. Most beginners will loose core tightness and round out the back if they think at all about bending over, whereas pushing the hips back tends not to have this effect. Ultimately, to get the full ROM you will need to fold at the hips, not just push them back, but focusing on pushing back rather than bending over is a good way to start learning to keep the core tight and chest up while bending at the hips, keeping the movement out of the trunk. So to some degree you're both right.
2. As it stands, it sounds like OP probably doesn't have the problem of needing to go deeper than the floor will allow, so deficit blocks/steps probably aren't beneficial at this point. Once OP has solid core control, form and technique, and his flexibility is such that he can keep solid core control, form and technique without much of a stretch while the bar is on the ground, then it's time to go for deficits to increase the depth of the stretch under load.

In addition to pushing the hips back on the eccentric, drive them forwards and drive your shoulders back on the concentric. All this while maintaining rigid core control. Screwing your feet into the ground and pushing your knees apart (while keeping them back over/behind your heels) will further activate your glutes and help support your spine.

grumpy-cat-no-4.jpg

Yeah I'm thinking it's just core weakness, I notice when I do normal dead my lower core is the part that hurts the most, and it limits the weight I can lift.

I may try to concentrate on some core exercises, having said that I don't know anything that works the core like heavy deads!

This is exactly what the other thread was talking about. I'm giving genuine tips that will help this guy out, and you're just arguing over semantics and arguing for arguments sake.

Some things will never change. Congrats on shitting on this thread already.
Stay on topic please

Post a video.
or alternatively contact a PTC and do some sessions, if it hurts you are doing something wrong and most likely trying to pull more than your body is able to.

you must start off light and progressively increase you reps and KG's over time, without sacrificing form of movement.

One of my work mates bumped into a competing body builder who actually endorsed tip 2. Just saying.

I don't see anything wrong with #2. Its just under the toes for a greater stretch, not the whole foot for a deficit.

But like most have said, #1 is contradicting itself. How do you tip forwards at the hips when bending over?

One of my work mates bumped into a competing body builder who actually endorsed tip 2. Just saying.

lol " you heard it from a mate who bumped into a bodybuilder" who specifically talked about this subject, that's a good one.

Just do the exercise, start at a weight you can handle and progress, it can't be any simpler easier than that, it must be simple, because the act of lifting is meant to be hard.

I don't see anything wrong with #2. Its just under the toes for a greater stretch, not the whole foot for a deficit.

But like most have said, #1 is contradicting itself. How do you tip forwards at the hips when bending over?

There isn't, it's just not necessary, it's going into the "majoring in the minor" crapola

I didn't actually say don't tip forward, but don't focus on it. Push you hips backwards and the rest will follow. Mind muscle connection and all that shit.