• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Which one of the two exercises do you feel adds more mass? Skull Crushers vs Close Grip Bench.

I prefer skulls but they can be hard on your elbows.
Like any muscle, I think it's about doing a variety of movements to hit it from different angles and also what feels best for you

both work, but i have never liked skullcrushers.

Prefer overhead tricep press, bringing bar down low behind head. I also like close grip bench exercise.

never been a big fan of skull crushes as they put so much pressure on elbows and inner arms so never given em a fair go.....

For me Skulls are the best tri exercise, but as people have said, hard on the elbows when the weight get high. [MENTION=6618]spartacus[/MENTION]; I don't see a huge difference between skulls and a lot of other tri extension movements aside from the position you might be sitting/standing in. The movement is essentially the same.

Skull crushers isolate the triceps much better. If you get elbow pain, most likely your form isn't correct. Try an EZ-bar, having your elbows narrower and avoiding having your upper arm 90 degrees to your body. Your upper arm should be tilting towards your head so your triceps are under constant tension.

creamy-avocado-yogurt-dip1.jpg

Mmmmmmm...dips.....

I have never liked doing skull crushers since that time i dropped the dumbell and it crushed my skull :/

Yes it fkn hurt

For me Skulls are the best tri exercise, but as people have said, hard on the elbows when the weight get high. @spartacus; I don't see a huge difference between skulls and a lot of other tri extension movements aside from the position you might be sitting/standing in. The movement is essentially the same.

yes, that is true. however, I feel I have better range standing, and feel uncomfortable when lying and bringing bar to forehead. But, you are right, mechanics quite similar.

If by improving the flexibility of a muscle exercised also improves the strength of a muscle thereby protecting the joint, then the bench press is not a very good choice for a bodybuilder in the long term.

the movement is blocked by the chest, widening the grip further restricts the range of motion.

the dip however allows a deeper stretch a greater range of motion.

performed properly, and seldom is the dip is the real deal, the seated version of a dip is the best option for a beginner, as it allows one to use a lot less weight under a much longer TUL, moving slower, allows you to go deep allows you to approach a position that challenges the limits of its ability to stretch at a slow speed, a fast approach triggers a reflex contraction that prohibits a stretch.

a flexible muscle is a strong muscle, I believe this to be a key to a long lifting injury free life.