• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Skull Crushers are good but if you're not set up right or have the wrong form, elbows feel it, especially heavy.
Close Grip is okay, once again provided you have a good set up, I usually go slow as on these.
Seated Overhead EZ Bar Extensions are my favourite exercise.

Elbows don't like skull crushers.

Shoulders don't like CGBP.

Destined to have small triceps I guess.

[MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION] ; in regards to you mentioning bench press, is this only in reference to close grip and triceps or in general? If in general, is it just bench press or barbell bench that you are referring to, since using DBs could get back the problem of being blocked by the chest?

I find that I get the best tricep pumps from kick backs and cable push downs. In both exercises you're triceps are isolated and are under constant tension.

for scull crushers, i prefer the slight variant where your ez bar goes to the bench behind your head not to your scull, and you more push up and back not really over your face (inner crip, thumbs over). more stretch and better angles. if i can't lift the weight for another rep i just lower it down to the floor behind the bench, easy.

in the early years i did get sore elbows but havent for years and years now. must be the better form.

@Silverback ; in regards to you mentioning bench press, is this only in reference to close grip and triceps or in general? If in general, is it just bench press or barbell bench that you are referring to, since using DBs could get back the problem of being blocked by the chest?

The barbell bench press in general strungout, it's a good general exercise, not a good pec exercise, a good tricep exercise, but much better options are the dip, french press and cable push down.
i don't rate "skull crushers" the resistance curve isn't real effective.

Last edited:
I don't think one thing that has been mentioned about CG Bench is the width most people are using for it. Mine is about shoulder width, enough so I can keep straight arms and tuck right in to my sides. I have seen people CG benching a lot closer than this

I don't think one thing that has been mentioned about CG Bench is the width most people are using for it. Mine is about shoulder width, enough so I can keep straight arms and tuck right in to my sides. I have seen people CG benching a lot closer than this

my grip about 25cm apart

I'm just inside the knurling on CGBP, which is slightly narrower than shoulder width for me.

I've done a bit of 10 reps narrow, 10 normal and 10 wide, all without racking the bar. Gives a killer pump. 3 sets of that as a finisher on chest day makes me piss. Tris are burning after the first 20 and the chest takes over on the last 10

Last edited:
The barbell bench press in general strungout, it's a good general exercise, not a good pec exercise, a good tricep exercise, but much better options are the dip, french press and cable push down.
i don't rate "skull crushers" the resistance curve isn't real effective.
You and your resistance curves...

Skull crushers are heaps better cos they isolate the triceps better

pushing an individual muscle will directly affect it more than pushing it indirectly

eg scull crushers (with proper form) vs close grip bench... 100% different movements, 100% different results.

and the pussies posting that don't have a well defined tri don't count! come back when you have it, im posting this cause i do have it, walk the walk.

edit: tri's require high rep, do heavy 8-12 rep sculls then vbar pushdowns on cables at 30 reps and rope. thats how you get legit definition popping out inches thick.

what will close grip bench do? mass and make it blend into the arm total, not pop.

Last edited: