• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Has anyone here bulked without counting calories? If so, how did it turn out?

Isn't the whole point of bulking to not count calories? The real question should be who bulks and counts calories.

Isn't the whole point of bulking to not count calories? The real question should be who bulks and counts calories.

Actually, when bulking it's not a bad idea to count macros (as opposed to being hung up on a calorie number).

Mostly just to make sure that a) you get sufficient protein and b) you are indeed in a surplus.

Not mandatory but it can be helpful.

People on dreamer bulks usually fuck up and just get mega fat, ideally slow bulk or lean bulk generally requires some form of tracking, either via measurements or by eyeball which a few of us can do after a while

never counted calls before when bulking, just try and eat certain number of clean meals then snack on dirty shit inbetween

last year when got to 105kg was probably on a little over maintenance cals, and tren lol

Count calories all year long. Know exactly what I'm putting in, so I can measure against my results and judge the need for adaptation.
Luckily enough my maintenance level calories is close to 3000, so it's not hard for me to remain lean-ish year round on close to 4000.
The weight pushes up 200g to 1kg a month consistently so I'm happy enough. If I didn't count calories, I don't think I'd eat enough or I'd eat too much sometimes!

I remember the good old days when bulking meant building muscle, so we were on a permanent bulk and not a fat bastard in sight.

And a gymnasium membership was thrupney a month and contracting syphilis was a luxury. Those were the days.

Last edited:
I remember the good old days when bulking meant building muscle, so we were on a permanent bulk and not a fat bastard in sight.

I'm in your age bracket and I'm still in a lifetime of bulking and without becoming a fat anything ... although I'm a tortoise in the bulking race :D

Ill let you know in 6 months but I'm pretty much just eating to the scale, pants and strength index. Its a slow journey for me because eating has always been poor.

Scales go up along with strength, pants still fit, winning.
Scales stay same or go down slightly, strength going up, almost eating enough.
Scales go up, pants get tighter, strength same, work harder.
Scales go down, pants loose, strength down, doing it wrong.

Ill let you know in 6 months but I'm pretty much just eating to the scale, pants and strength index. Its a slow journey for me because eating has always been poor.

i pretty much use the same kind of criteria although I do track macros too.

good methodology; I wish I had stuck to this in the past.

But I do now as an oldie.

You don't have to count calories, but tacking and recording what you eat will give you far better control than guesswork.