• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
This weeks topic: Back Training
· What do you do for your back training?
· What do you think most people neglect or do wrong?
· What recommendations do you have for others in building a wide and thick back?
· Any other questions/comments regarding the topic.

Lots of Pullups and Rows basically. Focus on muscle contractions (activate them lats and set the shoulder blades). And don't forget to deadlift.

Common form error I see at my gym are guys and babes lacking of ROM in their pulling movement, relying on momentum way too much, and using their forearms more than they should. But the most cringeworthy thing I reckon is seeing peeps use lumbar flexion to move the weight.

Row row row your back

I reckon a variety works best. Exercises and weight/reps.

Trying to pull from your elbow and reducing the use of your thumb in the grip helps me target the back

Usually I'd incorporate pull-ups, pull downs and rows, added a lot of back thickness and width this way.
Most people neglect good contraction with the back, but it's still important to be moving as much weight as possible.

As much as I hate some people bag out wraps not having to concentrate so much on grip definitely will increase the effectiveness of your movements for back.

Not enough range of motion/pulling with the arms: seated rows.

Too much range of motion/going too low and not engaging the muscle you're trying to work: lat pull downs.

Use wraps when appropriate. Don't let your ego/forearms limit your lifts.

Hook grip when doing rows/pullups to reduce finger involvement in the lifts.

Feeling a bit of tennis elbow coming on though, I wonder which lift is bringing that on :confused:

Going too low on a pull down? How is that even possible?
Old guy at my uni gym always turns his lat pulldowns into a triceps pushdown. If bringing the bar lower means either rounding the thoracic or extending the elbows, you've gone too low. This is easily achievable when the weight is too light.

What if you're using a fairly narrow grip? Or even supinated? You'll at least get full range of motion that way, instead of a wide grip and 1/2 the ROM.

When doing a chest supported rows, a common mistake is where the feet are positioned.
properly placed will limit involvement of the torso.

try placing your feet in-line with the torso as opposed to feet out front or close to the weight stack

What if you're using a fairly narrow grip? Or even supinated? You'll at least get full range of motion that way, instead of a wide grip and 1/2 the ROM.
Doesn't really matter in this instance. That changes where the problem arises, but not the problem.

If you're still closing the angles of your shoulders and elbows, you're still doing a lat pull down. If to make the bar continue traveling south you're rounding the chest then you're doing a weighted crunch; if you're opening the angle of the elbow you're doing a triceps pushdown. Grip will influence the turnover point at which you can no longer close the angles of your shoulders and elbows, but the principle remains the same. Turning a lat pulldown into either a weighted crunch or a triceps extension is an indicator that you've made the goal 'get the bar as low as possible' rather than 'activate, contract and load up the lats.' If that's what someone wants to do, that's fine I guess, but it's not very effective back training.

Pretty much what Ryan said. If the weight is too light or you don't know what you're doing, people tend to bring the bar way past their chin and right down to "nipz" level. Once the bar is below your chin, the lats can't contract any further and you're just using your arms to move the weight.