• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is sleep Important to weight loss and gain

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoska91

Hi All,

Pretty easy one here but wondering how important everyone considers sleep to weight loss and gain.

I know guys that sleep 6 hours a day and still get fine progress yet I know others that do the same and show nothing this goes both ways with loss and gain!

Any thoughts ?

Different people require different amounts of sleep but yes, it is essential to get what you need. You know if you're someone who sleeps 5 hours a night or needs a good eight. Definitely required for continuing intense training over a period of time.

Different people require different amounts of sleep but yes, it is essential to get what you need. You know if you're someone who sleeps 5 hours a night or needs a good eight. Definitely required for continuing intense training over a period of time.

This was my thoughts exactly repacked however would there be a benefit for someone that only needs "5 hours a night" to function properly, to go the full 8 hours ?

Last edited:
It's not going to do you any harm from a growth perspective, however if 8 hours a night is oversleeping for your particular body it may be counter-productive e.g. if you feel lethargic. For the vast majority of people training hard and regularly I would imagine consistently sleeping 5 hours a night would lead to fatigue...but I need my 7-8 hours.

Yeah Good point [MENTION=17457]Repacked[/MENTION]

I've felt dead for the last week or so because i've been staying up till 12 and waking up at about 7:30-8pm but i guess being on a low cal diet would also effect that.

Just trying to get the most out of training and my body etc so might be time to start fixing my sleep patterns.

Low calories will naturally have a major influence of energy levels. More sleep may be required when dieting. Dieting can put considerable stress on your body.

Low calories will naturally have a major influence of energy levels. More sleep may be required when dieting. Dieting can put considerable stress on your body.

If I'm on a low cal diet and not sleeping enough is this going to cause me to store more fat & water weight ?

This was my thoughts exactly repacked however would there be a benefit for someone that only needs "5 hours a night" to function properly to go the full 8 hours ?

A dude only knows he's functioning on 5 hours when He's done 8, where you just born yesterday?

If I'm on a low cal diet and not sleeping enough is this going to cause me to store more fat & water weight ?

yes
also contributes to poor memory, high blood pressure, among many other issues.

Deep sleep enables the brain to reduce it's size which facilitates the flushing of toxic cerebral fluid built up during the day to the lymphatic system , the brain requires an immense amount of nutrients to function, I would not know as my brain was donated.

It's not going to have a direct effect. Your metabolism will probably function better when well rested, but the end result is that you will be fatigued. If you're fatigued you will not have the energy to train hard or do your cardio which may affect your fat loss over time, or lead to a more chronic state requiring a break from the gym.

I've always wondered whether sleep trumps food or vice versa for growth benefits.

Say I get 7 hours of sleep a night & I'm on 5 meals a day will I have better growth and recovery than say a 7 hour sleep at night with 4 meals but an hour nap in the afternoon (instead of the extra meal) even though your unlikely to get into a deep sleep. Curious, it may be a stupid question but one I've always thought about nonetheless.

I've always wondered whether sleep trumps food or vice versa for growth benefits.

Say I get 7 hours of sleep a night & I'm on 5 meals a day will I have better growth and recovery than say a 7 hour sleep at night with 4 meals but an hour nap in the afternoon (instead of the extra meal) even though your unlikely to get into a deep sleep. Curious, it may be a stupid question but one I've always thought about nonetheless.

Wouldn't say that's a stupid question

So more sleep vs more nutrient intake ?

It's not going to have a direct effect. Your metabolism will probably function better when well rested, but the end result is that you will be fatigued. If you're fatigued you will not have the energy to train hard or do your cardio which may affect your fat loss over time, or lead to a more chronic state requiring a break from the gym.

The workout is key, and I said WORKout.

sleep, specifically slow wave delta sleep = 80% of the daily hgh and testosterone release (which is only 20% of total sleep time, so as total sleep time reduces, as does slow wave (and REM for memory))

so i'd say sleep trumps everything in life.

unless your supplementing these substances...

Yes. You must have the facilities to train effectively.

The workout, must be hard, very hard, it must raise you body temp, increase your breathing, increase your heart rate to maximum at certain intervals throughout the 30mins of actual "work"
when you've done this, it will cause a ripple effect, your body will demand sleep and food to repair and adapt.

what%2Bif%2BI%2Btold%2Byou%2Byou%2Bare%2Bpreaching%2Bto%2Bthe%2Bchoir.jpg

I just like talking about this shit, I'm not preaching to you, sometimes I need to write it so it inspires me, I do it for me, I'm 54, I started lifted weights when I was a young 16 year old clueless dumb fuck.
Whether or not other young beginners read what I write I don't care, I was them.

I just like talking about this shit, I'm not preaching to you, sometimes I need to write it so it inspires me, I do it for me, I'm 54, I started lifted weights when I was a young 16 year old clueless dumb fuck.
Whether or not other young beginners read what I write I don't care, I was them.

Don't know about the rest of us "young beginners" but I welcome the wealth of knowledge some of the more experienced guys have on here and it's the entire reason i ask questions like this and joined the forum in the first place!

Don't know about the rest of us "young beginners" but I welcome the wealth of knowledge some of the more experienced guys have on here and it's the entire reason i ask questions like this and joined the forum in the first place!

The goals in lifting weights are nebulous at best, I'm moving into uncharted territory myself I've been on the internet for years and followed my mentors journeys, these blokes are older and a lot wiser than me.
America has an incredibly old and rich history in the physical culture and some of these old bastards I listen to have amazing stories and experiences.