• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is sleep Important to weight loss and gain

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I get up at least once a night to pee. I fall straight back to sleep without a problem though.

I usually run on about 6-7 hours during the week it usually catches up with me on Fridays if it's been a big training week usually have a sleep in Sunday

he is kinda on the right track, but TECHNICALLY he is wrong.

theres 4 sleep stages, not just the ones he is outlying

awake is the presence of 50% or more alpha waves
stage 1/2 is less than 50% alpha with the rest in the theta waves, with mixed frequencies
stage 3 is delta waves also called Slow Wave Sleep and/or deep sleep where we release 80% of the days hgh and testosterone, and also counter stressor hormones like cortisol which is high during periods of the day, basically bringing things back to normal and restoring the body and immune system.
THEN we have REM sleep, theta mixed frequency with rapid eye movements, like stage 1 but much cleaner.

and this cycle is approx 90 mins so he gets this part right and the next part that; as the night starts we have our biggest stage 3 block, and our smallest REM block.
the 2nd cycle the stage 3 block is 1/2 of the first and the REM block doubles.
the 3rd cycle the stage 3 block 1/2 again and the REM block doubles again... see the trend?

i hope this cleared up some technical mistakes he made, which explain the REAL way a textbook case of someone sleeps.
download.jpg

while we are talking about sleep i mose well mention dreaming and memory/congnition.

we don't just dream in REM, what happens is, in REM sleep we have dreams that are made up of multiple memories, and we put 2 and 2 together to get 4. we calculate and work things out from our experiences. (these are the dreams you may remember when awakening, and also the stage when weird shit can happen like sleep talk or walk, or be concious and paralysed and freightening hallucinations).

during deep sleep, as all our 400 billion neurons fire simultaniously, we are transfering information throughout different parts of the brain and creating a copy of memories (not just dreams but many different types of information), but these dreams are photo-type recognition, its a direct copy of what you experienced.

in stage 1/2 which is light sleep, its just very suble, light dreaming, not much. def no memorising like stage 3 (SWS) or the eurika moments from REM.

even tho we generally get 60% stage 1 and 2
20% stage 3 (SWS/deep sleep) and
20% REM sleep.

ish, everyone is different.

Last edited:
The quality of actual good shut eye is extremely important.
I was sleeping about 7hrs a night ....well I thought I was.
Until a diagnostic check confirmed I had severe sleep apnea.
I was having 19 apneas and hour on average.
So although I thought I was sleeping for 7hrs my body was telling me otherwise.
High blood pressure, tired, grumpy,moody, High cholesterol. My weight stayed the same, didn't fluctuate at all.
It wasn't until I was diagnosed and fixed the problem that my life, training and health got better.
I am now 10kg heavier , stronger and leaner. My body was starved of quality rest time for all those years and it did limit my training abilities.
You might think you are getting 7 or 8 hrs sleep a night.....but are you really?
Sleep apnea is quite common and can be a silent killer. So if you do feel constantly tired or have the symptoms I mentioned get yourself checked out.
You can actually do a sleep study in the comfort of your own home now.
Cheers

The quality of actual good shut eye is extremely important.
I was sleeping about 7hrs a night ....well I thought I was.
Until a diagnostic check confirmed I had severe sleep apnea.
I was having 19 apneas and hour on average.
So although I thought I was sleeping for 7hrs my body was telling me otherwise.
High blood pressure, tired, grumpy,moody, High cholesterol. My weight stayed the same, didn't fluctuate at all.
It wasn't until I was diagnosed and fixed the problem that my life, training and health got better.
I am now 10kg heavier , stronger and leaner. My body was starved of quality rest time for all those years and it did limit my training abilities.
You might think you are getting 7 or 8 hrs sleep a night.....but are you really?
Sleep apnea is quite common and can be a silent killer. So if you do feel constantly tired or have the symptoms I mentioned get yourself checked out.
You can actually do a sleep study in the comfort of your own home now.
Cheers

Good stuff, glad you got that sorted.

How was your apnea problem fixered? [MENTION=16347]BrisVegasGhost[/MENTION];
Did it involve surgery at all?

How was your apnea problem fixered? [MENTION=16347]BrisVegasGhost[/MENTION];
Did it involve surgery at all?

I have to wear a CPAP machine/mask (continues positive air pressure)
Just think of maverick in top gun. That's how I look going to bed every night with a face mask!
I just have narrow air pipes and they collapse when I sleep. The machine keeps enough air pressure applied to keep them open.
The doctor said I was almost guaranteed to have some sort of heart attack/ stroke or heart disease within 5 years if I hadn't been diagnosed.
It was actually my girlfriend at the time who told me to go and get checked out.

Just think of maverick in top gun. That's how I look going to bed every night with a face mask!
I just have narrow air pipes and they collapse when I sleep. The machine keeps enough air pressure applied to keep them open.
The doctor said I was almost guaranteed to have some sort of heart attack/ stroke or heart disease within 5 years if I hadn't been diagnosed.
It was actually my girlfriend at the time who told me to go and get checked out.

Sexy ;)

7784306.jpg

Wow glad that it got diagnosed then! I have apnoea too but not as serious. My sinus sphincters close up randomly when I sleep, which is hella annoying! Surgery (rhinoplasty) is the only solution, I said screw that.