• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is sleep Important to weight loss and gain

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sleep is king.

i know this,as I have struggled with insomnia the last 3 years and have seen what it has done to me mentally and physically

Sleep is king.

i know this,as I have struggled with insomnia the last 3 years and have seen what it has done to me mentally and physically

I feel ya brah, I been averaging 5hrs this whole year and my manflufever this week has forced me to sleep for 15+hrs for the past couple days. Never have I felt so 'with it' and clearheaded even though I still feel sick lol. Must have caught up with an entire year's worth of sleep debt. Plus I'm on povery macros with just enough protein but not the rest due to loss of appetite.

I now recognise how important sleep is to my gainz and will do whatever it takes to get 7.5hrs of sleep every night, even if chemical assistance is required (I have a habit of waking up at 3am for a piss and then not being able to drift back to lala land. Well, that's gonna change now lulz)

I feel sort of sorry for dudes that need to get up during the night to have a piss.

i require 8 hrs a night to be able to function, really would like to need only 4, I'd get a whole lot more done.

I feel sort of sorry for dudes that need to get up during the night to have a piss.

i require 8 hrs a night to be able to function, really would like to need only 4, I'd get a whole lot more done.

Always been envious ofpeople who need little sleep too. An extra 4 hours a day would be quite handy!

I can function pretty easily on 4-5, however if i'm working out hard or have a low cal diet/day then it takes it's toll just ask the GF :p

but there's such a huge difference between "functioning" and living.

There is no difference to me I have a desire to live my life to the fullest which means I need to function.

It can be unfortunate but I live life like its my last day my workouts are the same, if I can't function properly it's because I'm sleep deprived.
i didn't just work this out overnight either

I easily get away with 6 when I'm up at work. If I get 7 I feel like ratshit when I wake up. 6 or 8 are good, usually ends up at 6 when I train.
Sleep in a fair bit when I get home though, 8-9 usually, with the odd 10 hour stint

I used to sleep a lot longer when I was a teenager, a lot longer.
i don't believe young kids get enough sleep, and I reckon it plays a large contribution to current health problems we face today more than diet (poor) and lack of activities.

i don't believe young kids get enough sleep, and I reckon it plays a large contribution to current health problems we face today more than diet (poor) and lack of activities.
Shouldn't you be having your Nanna nap about now?

Fark yeah, my parents used to have to drag me out of bed lol
Then my first full time job was as a chef so I used to work around 2-10, I'd sleep till lunchtime most days

This gave some good tips.

he is kinda on the right track, but TECHNICALLY he is wrong.

theres 4 sleep stages, not just the ones he is outlying

awake is the presence of 50% or more alpha waves
stage 1/2 is less than 50% alpha with the rest in the theta waves, with mixed frequencies
stage 3 is delta waves also called Slow Wave Sleep and/or deep sleep where we release 80% of the days hgh and testosterone, and also counter stressor hormones like cortisol which is high during periods of the day, basically bringing things back to normal and restoring the body and immune system.
THEN we have REM sleep, theta mixed frequency with rapid eye movements, like stage 1 but much cleaner.

and this cycle is approx 90 mins so he gets this part right and the next part that; as the night starts we have our biggest stage 3 block, and our smallest REM block.
the 2nd cycle the stage 3 block is 1/2 of the first and the REM block doubles.
the 3rd cycle the stage 3 block 1/2 again and the REM block doubles again... see the trend?

i hope this cleared up some technical mistakes he made, which explain the REAL way a textbook case of someone sleeps.

I easily get away with 6 when I'm up at work. If I get 7 I feel like ratshit when I wake up.

when you wake up "out of phase" you can get groggy, especially if awakening from stage 3 slow wave sleep, which means you need to sleep less or more.

(edit: the idea of a nap, being 15 to 20 mins is to not reach stage 3 or REM. )

the ideal way to wake up is naturally, after your last, longest REM sleep. best chance to feel refreshed. although take it with a grain of salt, cannot remember the last time i felt refreshed and have done countless sleep studies on myself.

I can't function on any less than 8. Can easily sleep for 12 uninterrupted if not for my wake up for school.
Most of the time I get 8.5-9.5 a night. In terms of gains, this amount of sleep certainly works for me.

So no drinking fluids 3hrs before sleep to avoid waking up to take a piss in the middle of the night. Says the sleep doctor. Crikey I'll be going to bed thirsty lol