• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

n9rve

About two-3 years ago I broke my collar bone, would this have anything to do with the pain I experience in my left shoulder? It feels like all the muscles are pushing together and overlapping sometimes and it hurts and I have to stop training. Should I keep it light with the bar only until I can lift much heavier (can only do like 30-35kg overhead anyway)

n9rve

Possibly...
Shoulder problems can be any number of different things though. Hard/impossible to diagnose over the net and from my experience not something you try and push through.

Either see a physio or try some rehab type work on it for the rotator cuff.

How much (in volume, not kgs) do you push compared to pull?

Possibly...
Shoulder problems can be any number of different things though. Hard/impossible to diagnose over the net and from my experience not something you try and push through.

Either see a physio or try some rehab type work on it for the rotator cuff.

How much (in volume, not kgs) do you push compared to pull?
I've been out of training for a few months, my bench is currently 65kg for 3 reps, squat 70kg, deadlift 100kg military 35kg. I have to be careful because of my foots soft tissue injury I cant go heavy with squats. I BB row like 40-50kg, seated machine rows I can do like 50kg for reps.

How wide is your grip? Try a narrower grip where your elbows track in front of your body.

I've been out of training for a few months, my bench is currently 65kg for 3 reps, squat 70kg, deadlift 100kg military 35kg. I have to be careful because of my foots soft tissue injury I cant go heavy with squats. I BB row like 40-50kg, seated machine rows I can do like 50kg for reps.
No, how much volume, NOT kgs
If you do more chest work than back (or vice versa I'd imagine), it can pull your shoulders out of alignment. Pretty common with the bro's ;)

And as Steve said, try OHP with a narrow grip. Tuck your elbows in to your lats at the bottom. Alan Thrall has a good vid on it

First off, it will be your rotator cuff, even though that may not hurt. Its pain transfer. Get some myotherapy done on your shoulder. Do not train any upper body for at least 3 days after. Give it 2 weeks and if its still bothering you, get another session done. If the injury has been there a while it may take 2 or 3 sessions to come right.

Also, do rotator cuff rehab work. Do a search on youtube. Shoulder dislocates with a broom handle are good.

Secondly, military press (the one with locked knees, not push press) should be done with feet no more than shoulder width apart, a little less is even better. Think, "pillar of power". Hands should be close in, around the beginning of the knurl. I'm 189cm tall and around 120kg so my grip is about 2cm out from the start of the knurl. A short smaller guy may be gripping inside the knurl a bit. The further out you go, the less power you will have, even though you will get a shorter bar travel path.

Have the bar in a squat rack so its around the height of your upper chest. In other words, almost zero lift needed to unrack. Take your grip and move into the bar. With your narrow grip your lats should be bunched up and tight. They will form a powerful lift off platform to get the bar moving. With a wide grip, you never get to use your lats, making you effectively weaker.

Squeeze your glutes tight to fire them up. Crush the bar with your grip. Push air into your gut to firm up your core. A lifting belt will do wonders here. Also, while you are at it, use oly lifting shoes or something with a thin hard sole.

Unrack and step back a touch. Your lats should be bunched, your knees locked and your core tight. Chances are that if you are dong it right the bar will not be on your chest because your lats will be in the way of your arms.

Do your shit.

Rerack and wait for the applause.

Chit yeah brah.

I'm pretty sure that there are some setup vids by Rippatoe around.

Echo echo?

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

very_very_sneaky.jpg

Alan Thrall DID do a vid on the OHP and its pretty good!

Uh.., well its easier to follow than Rippetoe's thrust your hips out to hump imaginary lululemon and then spring back up bizarreness. I think.

About two-3 years ago I broke my collar bone, would this have anything to do with the pain I experience in my left shoulder? It feels like all the muscles are pushing together and overlapping sometimes and it hurts and I have to stop training. Should I keep it light with the bar only until I can lift much heavier (can only do like 30-35kg overhead anyway)

n9rve

In regards to op, it could be scar tissue related? Bottom line is if it hurts (proper pain) then don't do it. Increase weight and ROM gradually, maybe get a thera-ball onto the area, see if there's tissue to be broken up. Busted collarbone crew checking in.

In regards to op, it could be scar tissue related? Bottom line is if it hurts (proper pain) then don't do it. Increase weight and ROM gradually, maybe get a thera-ball onto the area, see if there's tissue to be broken up. Busted collarbone crew checking in.
Thanks bro gonna look into the thera-ball, it seems when I massage that area muscles seem clumped together or atleast it feels like it. Going to stick to using the bar only for a month or two and increase weight slowly.

Is there any machine exercises to do with same movement? I'll have a look in my gym at Anytime (although my anytime has alot of strength equipment and machines so I just gotta find it)

I find machines don't usually have enough adjustment for healthy shoulders. They're usually too wide or awkward so I prefer to stick with mostly free weights but each to their own.

Plenty of choice with free weights and maybe some cable work thrown in.
Do plenty of warm up stuff with bands and the broomstick first. Even try a bit of voltaren on there for a while to get rid of any inflammation

BB overhead press/military press
BB behind the neck (I'd be wary of this if you've got sore shoulders)
DB presses/Arnold presses
Front raises
Lateral raises
Rear delt flyes
Upright rows

Can do the last 4 on cables if you prefer, they have a different resistance path.

But if you haven't been training for a few months and you've still got a sore shoulder, something is wrong.

I've found that doing broomsticks/shoulder dislocates with a light band held at tension is great for improving shoulder mobility. Gives a stretch for both your chest and shoulders during the plane of motion from overhead to behind the back.

Doing a few sets combined with some pause for stretch during the plane of motion previously mentioned has completely eliminated any niggles, and greatly improved shoulder mobility, allowing me to place my hands further into the centre of the bar when back squatting, which has in turn improved my stability under the bar.

I've found that doing broomsticks/shoulder dislocates with a light band held at tension is great for improving shoulder mobility. Gives a stretch for both your chest and shoulders during the plane of motion from overhead to behind the back.

Doing a few sets combined with some pause for stretch during the plane of motion previously mentioned has completely eliminated any niggles, and greatly improved shoulder mobility, allowing me to place my hands further into the centre of the bar when back squatting, which has in turn improved my stability under the bar.
Awesome OBee-wan-kenobi [emoji12]