• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

taurus

As the heading says!
Cardio equipment?
Bands?
Dynamic stretching?
Specific movements?
Rollers?

I'm just interested in forms of warm ups!

For me, it's dynamic stretching and band work.

Have a good weekend!

As the heading says!
Cardio equipment?
Bands?
Dynamic stretching?
Specific movements?
Rollers?

I'm just interested in forms of warm ups!

For me, it's dynamic stretching and band work.

Have a good weekend!

OTO vibration machine before and after training
small amount of PNF stretching on a rack
apecific movemnts through an extreme range of motion using the bar only and dynamic stretching
sometimes return to the vibration machine mid way through training

there seems to be a school of thought that excessive static stretching before training does not materially reduce the chance of injury or improve performance. I concur. Gently performed, progressively increased ROM dynamic stretches that mimick the type of exercise are probably more effective.

I spend 5 minutes stretching out my hamstrings, chest and shoulders as they're the tightest due to sitting all day. I don't do static stretching, but core exercises that seem to work. So mountain climbers, holding a plank and some cross body crunches. Seems to stretch out most of my body in a controlled way. Then my first weighted exercise set will be at 75% for 6-8 reps. Never been injuring following this procedure.

Last edited:
No warm-ups here.
Lighter sets to start, maybe a quick stretch after that but not usually much

Same. Just a couple lighter sets before work sets.

I would do the same for squats and deads, I think that's real wise, but for me it was more to do with making sure I was greasing the groove, so to speak, not warming up.

with barbell work it's basically just an extension of the body part you're working, that's what's so cool, if it's done progressively as in the weight of the bar is added slowly, while getting stronger, a warmup in the traditional sense of the word is not necessary and even counter productive.

What happens when you been sitting in a cranky chair all day and everywhere is tight and creaky as you walk into the gym stiff as a mummy? Gimme dat dere dynamic stretching otherwise you wouldn't even be able to get into the right position for deadlifts, squats, hip thrusts. Hello, snap village!

With that in mind I meticulously work on suppling myself up with stuff like the Limber 11 as I wait for my PWO to kick in, getting the rumble roller on those knots and my lacrosse ball into my glutes to mash the madafuk out of them. If I don't do this then my setup gets all kinds of fukked up and I would cry.

No warm up here either, I'm there to get maaaaaaasif, not warm or flexible is my excuse.
1 set of light (2 in winter) to grind the joints in and off we go.

i start stupidly light and high rep and stretch between sets for the first 4 or so sets, upping the weight very slowly, untill i reach working sets. usually spend 10 sets per movement for big bodyparts but not only helps the mind-muscle connection but my joints, tendons and ligaments thank me.

its not ego lifting, so people don't like my style, but over the years i've developed my own pyramid scheme that suits my body. and as ronnie coleman says, if it works why change it?

been injured too many times to do otherwise.

Amen... Especially for PL movements,
Gettin in the groove via pyramidding to work sets,
But low volume as to not detract from the reason you're there.

I usually do some shoulder / hips prehab stuff in-between the lighter sets

Speaking for PL focus... Have never done well chasing hypertrophy

yeah as with most here i just do a couple sets of lighter weight higher rep 15-20 before going on, this is usually onky the first exercise or tw

No warm up here either, I'm there to get maaaaaaasif, not warm or flexible is my excuse.
1 set of light (2 in winter) to grind the joints in and off we go.

What at are we "warming up"?

are muscles cold, is that it?

i think it's just another something we blindly do because we were told to.