• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Come on Sparty, you really going to deal the 'study' card on us?

No, but I still cannot see why a fully body workout is any better than a split. IMO, really comes down to preference which may or may no be based on logical reasons.

In my case, full body workouts are too much, although I have done periods of them.

You hit the donkey right on the tail there Shreky
Full body workouts are bloody hard, harder than any split routine.
You've made a better choice no doubt

Some have left me flat on my back on the floor, all things being equal a full body workout is more demanding that a split.
and much more productive for mortals like us.

I agree they are harder, but I defy anyone to prove they are any more productive.

Never liked absolute statements, never will.

i really like the idea of full body, but don't like the idea of sticking strictly to a routine.

you should tailor make it to bring up weak points, and re-assess often.

have recently been doing more than a usual split, starting with squats and then back n chest, extremely taxing... or like today, did heavy shoulders, heavy back, then high tri's and bi's. i'd hate to have started that with squats aswell.

Like most things, you find out through experimentation, trial and error.
some things are easier to work out than others however, at least for me it's a no brainer, full body workouts are superior and at the same time simpler.

69789-efr-xidas-media_preview-php-url%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252f0-media-cdn-foolz-us%252fffuuka%252fboard%252ftg%252fimage%252f1342%252f9-jpg

I do a standard bro split, but then one day a week I'll do a full body workout (after a rest day). Best of both worlds. No doubt the full body workout is my hardest workout of the week.

why are they superior?

I think the perception is the increased frequency produces better results.
But I'm with you, I don't believe they work better long term, they are a kunce, wear you down and not sustainable, in my life anyway.
Most productive and sustainable way to get results and preserve some energy for the rest of my time is to separate parts and blast them.

why are they superior?
Potential to provide better conditioning
Simpler to program
less potential for injury because you're working your body as a whole
Your body works harder
If you miss a workout, no big deal since you'll still work every muscle group next workout
You will stay leaner
And the one thing I've noticed the most, you will build muscle quicker and is easier to maintain that muscle

But it may not be for everyone, some love it while others don't, so do what you like doing.

I am with grunta on this one, but believe that both will work. Again, key is program that suits mindset of athlete and training requirements of each sport.

no, because my view also encompasses strength pursuits, do not see how it would make any difference.

Please convince me.

frequency is very debatable. some need more days rest to recover, some only need 1 day a week...

can we really train 6 days a week natty and recover and grow and stay healthy? i know i can't.

no, I celebrate diversity of methods to achieve results. We all do what we think will work. and, if basic principles of overload, intensity and rest are applied, both types of programs will produce great results.

Yep, I'd be doing full body too if I had all the time in the world to recover and sleep. Throws a hammer in the works when there's not enough of either!

How much time do you think you need to recover and sleep?
get in there, do your workout and then get out, all this can be done in less than 45 min
if you think you can't do that 3 times a week and recover then you must be an AIDS patient

All other debates aside, doing a full body workout 3-4x a week would get incredibly boring. I know there are endless exercises for each muscle group, but I enjoy focusing on 1-2 muscle groups a session.

How much time do you think you need to recover and sleep?
get in there, do your workout and then get out, all this can be done in less than 45 min
if you think you can't do that 3 times a week and recover then you must be an AIDS patient

Just an example, here is how I see it:

4 sets squats
4 sets deads
4 sets rows
4 sets ohp
4 sets bench press
4 sets curls
4 sets dips
4 sets calves

No way done in 45.