• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hoska91

Hey guys,

has anyone ever built there own plyo boxes ? i was thinking of building some for the home gym just wondering what type of wood to use ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, i'll also do a write up when they're done/during build!

Yeah most people seem to use Ply, I refuse to pay 100+ dollars for a box when i can build one for 20-30 bucks haha

Might jump down to Bunnings over the weekend and grab some supplies! :)

I've had 3 knee reconstructions, my joints are passed being saved :p

If you can suggest a better way to increase my vert and explosiveness i'm all ears!

Interesting, and sorry to see you've had three, what was the reason?

Why do you need to increase your Vertical explosiveness?
for a sport?

Two reasons why an injury ultimately occurs;
1; Impact
2; poor strength and flexibilty

Interesting, and sorry to see you've had three, what was the reason?

Why do you need to increase your Vertical explosiveness?
for a sport?

Two reasons why an injury ultimately occurs;
1; Impact
2; poor strength and flexibilty

First one was from side impact, 2nd one was also from side impact on opposite knee.

3rd one was to poor rehab, got lazy my own fault, get enough shit for it from everyone else let alone the hate from myself but determined to come back with a force!

Vert will be for sport (AFL)

Did you do plyo prior to that?

Not that i can recall, My knee injuries is what forced me into weights and then I got hooked haha

If you can suggest other things that will help me with my vert and explosiveness i'm all ears, obviously squats and calf raises will help my leg power as well as hamstring exercises but anything besides that ?

Geesh you are keen or getting paid a fair wack to be coming back after 3 knee recos, I gave it away after I did my second one and to sort of make sure never got the second reco........but must admit hasn't stopped my trying to squeeze in the occasional game still.....

Geesh you are keen or getting paid a fair wack to be coming back after 3 knee recos, I gave it away after I did my second one and to sort of make sure never got the second reco........but must admit hasn't stopped my trying to squeeze in the occasional game still.....

Yeah I've been warned against it many times, it's only amateur footy nothing too serious and as far as i'm concerned the 3rd one would have never happened with the proper rehab, 2 is fairly common as you tend to favor a lot which causes excessive strain on your opposite.

Going touch and feel at the moment, will go down for pre season next year and see how i feel whether i'm ready for a game or not.

Silver in regards to joint damage from plyo is this due to poor technique or is it a common thing ? most of what i've read suggests that these kinds of exercise are high risk high reward but if you perform them correctly they're fine.

High risk is the issue here.

At your age and condition, you face enough "high risk" playing footy, what you need to do is focus on a safe, productive and time efficient exercise program to build muscle in the areas that are at risk in the game you play.

The areas are in order of priority, exercises needed to build strength and flexibility to safe guard you;
Knees
Lower back
Neck
shoulders

Exercises areas that could improve your performance on the field;
Glute exercises
Grip exercises

Leg extensions
leg curls
Leg press are 3 very underrated exercises for strengthening the lower body.

Plyo could increase your vertical leap a tad, but IMO the risks outweigh the benefits.

If you want to take a specky, or leap high in the ruck, then practice is your best bet, spend a lot of time training.
Your time spent in the gym Working out should be minimal and safe, with a focus on making your joints stronger, and the gym is the only place for that.

High risk is the issue here.

At your age and condition, you face enough "high risk" playing footy, what you need to do is focus on a safe, productive and time efficient exercise program to build muscle in the areas that are at risk in the game you play.

The areas are in order of priority, exercises needed to build strength and flexibility to safe guard you;
Knees
Lower back
Neck
shoulders

Exercises areas that could improve your performance on the field;
Glute exercises
Grip exercises

Leg extensions
leg curls
Leg press are 3 very underrated exercises for strengthening the lower body.

Plyo could increase your vertical leap a tad, but IMO the risks outweigh the benefits.

If you want to take a specky, or leap high in the ruck, then practice is your best bet, spend a lot of time training.
Your time spent in the gym Working out should be minimal and safe, with a focus on making your joints stronger, and the gym is the only place for that.

Thanks for the info @Silverback, Most of this I've been doing already in preparation anyway, i may steer away from the box jumps and focus on these instead!

Have always wanted to work in farmer walks to my routines but never have the space at the home gym :(

Yeah most people seem to use Ply, I refuse to pay 100+ dollars for a box when i can build one for 20-30 bucks haha

Might jump down to Bunnings over the weekend and grab some supplies! :)
There's more than one size for that price. It either converts in to 3 different sizes or there's 3 in the pack. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @Silverback, Most of this I've been doing already in preparation anyway, i may steer away from the box jumps and focus on these instead!

Have always wanted to work in farmer walks to my routines but never have the space at the home gym :(

No worries, I hope you find what works, injuries suck.