• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Repacked

Punxsutawney resident
For a little while now I have been doing some unilateral work once or twice per week focussing on my lower left side to bring up perceived muscularity and strength imbalances. This has gone a long way, and the visual difference is minimal now. I am aware that when squatting heavier weights (say 5 reps and below) I still favour my right leg a bit. While I consciously try to exert more pressure through the left (as with all bilateral exercises), and this has improved significantly from say 6 months ago, I am wondering if it is a matter of muscle activation. There is still a slight difference between my left and right VM. Prior to squatting and deadlifting which start my quad and glute/ham days I always preform some glute activation exercises. Even in performing these I can feel a difference between the left and right, albeit less than it was.

I am interested to hear how anyone else has been able to rectify similar imbalances, particularly in the posterior chain, and what you have found to be the best methods for increasing muscle activation particularly of the glutes/VM and any VM specific movements you have found effective.

Last edited:
Unilateral Banded Terminal Knee Extensions along with lunges have been my bread and butter for glutes/VM development and to address a slight inbalance issue (RHS weaker). Lately the introduction of the GHR (5-6 reppers) have taken things to a whole new level for dat ass and posterior chain strength too.

Banded Crab walks and banded reverse leg extensions are also good drills to turn dat ass on before my lower body days (if I remember to do them lol)

Banded Crab walks and banded reverse leg extensions are also good drills to turn dat ass on before my lower body days (if I remember to do them lol)

Banded crab walks and banded side leg extensions/static holds are my usual activation exercises currently.

Last edited:
I've got a real pain in the ass today, specifically the left side and as we all know DOMS is the best measure of efficacy!

I have had this conversation with a PT at the gym. I think by nature imbalances do not even themselves out, especially if you are pushing yourself physically.

If you are untrained, yes, but if you are training the weaker or smaller side should catch up. It did with my right bicep which was noticeably smaller.

Its often related to how you carry yourself in the hours outside of training. For example sitting lopsided in a chair for extended periods can make one side of the glute more lazy than the other!

If you are untrained, yes, but if you are training the weaker or smaller side should catch up. It did with my right bicep which was noticeably smaller.

For that to be the case you would have to be providing more stimulus to the weaker side, everything else being equal. If not, assuming both sides progress at the same rate (which is unlikely if there is a deficiency with one side/muscle there), best case scenario the gap will not get any worse. More likely is that the difference will become exaggerated.

Use Dumbbells, particularly ones you can load yourself. You can stick a lot more than the usual 55kg that gym dumbbells have.

For that to be the case you would have to be providing more stimulus to the weaker side, everything else being equal. If not, assuming both sides progress at the same rate (which is unlikely if there is a deficiency with one side/muscle there), best case scenario the gap will not get any worse. More likely is that the difference will become exaggerated.
Train the unilaterally. The weaker side will get more stimulus

Use Dumbbells, particularly ones you can load yourself. You can stick a lot more than the usual 55kg that gym dumbbells have.

Dunno Stiffy, for the most part I think loading up one side more than the other is dubious in terms of your spine...

Dunno Stiffy, for the most part I think loading up one side more than the other is dubious in terms of your spine...

Don't make the Dumbbells imbalanced, just use Dumbbells normally but as much as possible. That will help get more balance to your whole bodgy.

Train the unilaterally. The weaker side will get more stimulus

Replies.
Then looks at the title of thread :p

Lol j/ks aside, none of us are born perfectly symmetrical so inbalances will show up sooner or later when we start lifting heavy. I reckon there are huge benefits to unilateral training. Notice how this Chris Duffin warm up sequence is chock full of unilateral work.