• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I also think it's reported more now with social media and newspapers looking harder for stories.
My dad played for the roosters back in the 70s and LOTS of guys got injured and ended careers. One of his teammates broke his neck and it hardly got mentioned in the press.
Two guys I played with broke their necks, one in 99 and one in 2001. Neither made the news, yet seti Tafua from Norths broke his neck in the same comp two years ago and it was front page news and all over Facebook and Twitter. Different times. People have and always will get injured. Maybe the hits are harder now, who knows, but it's all relative to the era they're playing in.
Just my 2 cents! @Sir El Stiffy;

Do you agree with the Shoulder charge being outlawed in Union? I've been on the end of a goodan and know they rattle you more overall than a good punch does.

Its a part of the game which used to be a spectacle.

Last edited:
Do you agree with the Shoulder charge being outlawed in Union? I've been on the end of a goodan and know they rattle you more overall than a good punch does.

Its a part of the game which used to be a spectacle.

It was always outlawed when I played. But I played league as well and copped a few. Had a lot more miss me than get me tho thank fuck.

I always thought the shoulder charge was a bit of a cheap shot. You could really blindside someone with those.

They did add to the spectacle on TV, but for schoolboy and club level, more risk than reward IMO.

Don't really agree. It's hard but what sport isn't at the elite level. How do you determine the most physically demanding? AFL has more endurance requirement than the other major codes but I don't think that makes it most physically demanding.

You're probably right, In terms of KM's covered for some, the pace, and the physicality, especially more so these days, some blokes are just reckless.

Back in the 80's if you where a bit tough on someone, you needed to look over the shoulder.

I guess I'm saying, body shapes have changed for the modern game, the game is different, but it's still footy and a lot of its aspects are still the same.

[MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; [MENTION=6618]spartacus[/MENTION]; will remember Greg "Diesel" Williams. One of my favourite players as a kid (even though he played for those dirty Blues). He now can't remember most of his Footy career. Ian Roberts former NRL player now has brain injuries apparently.

The potential future epidemic of punch drunk Football Players:

One of my fav Rugby League players, coz he isn't really built for League but played it 100% - Ian Roberts

[MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; [MENTION=6618]spartacus[/MENTION]; will remember Greg "Diesel" Williams. One of my favourite players as a kid (even though he played for those dirty Blues). He now can't remember most of his Footy career. Ian Roberts former NRL player now has brain injuries apparently.

The potential future epidemic of punch drunk Football Players:

I'll be honest. If I'm unluckily enough to have kids I don't know if I would care if they didn't want play footy. I don't know if it's worth it. Sure I had great times but now my body is totally fucked. Thousands on medical bills. Lots of long term issues. I have only been slightly concussed once but heaps of hits in the head which they say is just as bad.

I see some guys that are getting concussed multiple times a year and think how much fucking damage are they doing. Is it worth it.

This is one reason why I'll argue that I don't think elite players are overplayed.

One of my fav Rugby League players, coz he isn't really built for League but played it 100% - Ian Roberts

Also an electrician by trade!

He revolutionized the way props played. He wasn't the stereotype of short, fat and a bit of a lazy grub. He was tall, fast, fit and could punch on with anyone (black belt karate).

Every team wanted a player like him.

Like any sport, whether it's incredibly strong, fast, skilled or violent; people just ultimately go to see freaks.
Because it's the freaks that amaze us. they are special.

You don't get that freaky ability alone by benching 250kg, spending hours and hours of training.
it's already in you.