• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
S

Stiffy

Notice how Rugby League players are dying more often now. Young bloke in the Brisbane Comp died on the weekend. Seems to be a lot more common nowadays. UFC fighters are getting a lot more injured in the lead up to fights it would seem.

Is it that Science has increased Athlete's Power and Performance to the point that serious injuries and even death are occurring more? Looks like it to me.

I'd say you're right there mate.
Professional athletes have been pushing the boundaries for years now, always looking to get that edge and increase performance. Perhaps we're now beyond the human limit in some cases.

Didn't really see these kinds of injuries when the likes of Plugga,and Fev or Boonie and Hughes were having a crack. Maybe they need to get 9-5 jobs, train once a week, play on the weekend and then sink piss?

There are a lot more idiots playing all forms of sport wanting their day in the sun...They're training too long/too much and stuffing shit in their pie holes to try too keep up with the 5% of the gifted ones.

That's my take, I believe this is the truth..

[MENTION=11621]taurus[/MENTION]; whats the go with all these Rugby League players dying more often. Hitting harder due to greater power due to Sports Science advancements?

@taurus; whats the go with all these Rugby League players dying more often. Hitting harder due to greater power due to Sports Science advancements?

Sports Science advancements? What Sports Science advancements?
This is the biggest fraud in the history of proper exercise and fitness, unfortunate the main % of the population do not know this.

Sports Science advancements? What Sports Science advancements?
This is the biggest fraud in the history of proper exercise and fitness, unfortunate the main % of the population do not know this.

Perhaps wong terminology. Aren't athletes faster, more powerful nowadays due to better training techniques, nutrition, recovery etc.

Would agree m8s.

Just have to look at the rugby players from the 80's compared to now.

With emphasis on being bigger and stronger, the hits are gonna come harder.

Lads these days are built differently and there is so much more focus on sports science...

There has to be. Look at how much football these guys are playing now. Using just rugby as an example, its no longer a 'winter' sport.

Years ago "professional" sports being Aussie Rules, Rugby, cricket whatever were not really "professional" the money just wasn't there, so yeah they trained hard a couple of times a week, but also the majority also worked for a living they had to just to get by.

These days they get payed big dollars to perform and in most cases play winter and summer sports all year round, train 5 - 7 days a week an much more finely tuned, as already pointed out just look at body shapes of sportsman these days compared to 30 - 40 yrs ago, I would almost argue that todays amateur parks footy players at some higher levels train harder then the "professionals" of 30 - 40yrs ago.

Yup. Guys in the office here are into AFL.. (ghey :p) That aside, they pretty much say the same.

'pros' back then used to turn up to training in their tradie vans etc.. from the day job. Now its a career (albeit short) with the emphasis on making as much $$ as you can while the goings good.

Perhaps wong terminology. Aren't athletes faster, more powerful nowadays due to better training techniques, nutrition, recovery etc.

I honestly don't believe this statement stiffo.

I believe there are more people playing more sport than ever before, if I was to pluck a figure, I'd say 5% of the worlds population are truly gifted (athletically) the rest are just average, they think they need to work a lot harder, in most cases longer, (in terms of time spent in gym), which is a mistake.
in terms of skill improvement, then yes more is better.

I think G Ablett JNR is a perfect example of an elite athlete that has overtrained to the point of injuring himself.

I honestly don't believe this statement stiffo.

I believe there are more people playing more sport than ever before, if I was to pluck a figure, I'd say 5% of the worlds population are truly gifted (athletically) the rest are just average, they think they need to work a lot harder, in most cases longer, (in terms of time spent in gym), which is a mistake.
in terms of skill improvement, then yes more is better.

Adding to that, skill training is key, and more is better, but the consequence is injury, this is where a good strength coach identifies what is required in the gym to reduce the occurrence of injury on the playing field.
Good coaches are very, very rare.

Injuries and death are more common, because more are playing.

Have a look at a team of any sport with a low incidence of injury, you can attribute that to the overall skill level of the available players and good coaching

I think G Ablett JNR is a perfect example of an elite athlete that has overtrained to the point of injuring himself.

Do you think that that is because he is so highly skilled that to maintain that level of skill he is training so much that it is putting added stress on the body.

Also, our jobs/lives etc aren't as physical anymore so are we losing some physical "toughness" as a species?

Yeah, otherwise why would world records be continually smashed at every olympics? If we are not faster and more powerful nowadays then this wouldn't be happening!

Do you think that that is because he is so highly skilled that to maintain that level of skill he is training so much that it is putting added stress on the body.

Also, our jobs/lives etc aren't as physical anymore so are we losing some physical "toughness" as a species?

I use him because, I think that he is an example of an elite athlete, his Superior genetic ability separates him from most, however the way he has approached his training methods have shortened his career.
And I think this is common.

Yeah, otherwise why would world records be continually smashed at every olympics? If we are not faster and more powerful nowadays then this wouldn't be happening!

This is mainly due to more people having access to sports and more people playing and taking drugs.
And I don't believe records are being smashed, more often than not conditions and equipment are improving to facilitate that.

Last edited:
Years ago "professional" sports being Aussie Rules, Rugby, cricket whatever were not really "professional" the money just wasn't there, so yeah they trained hard a couple of times a week, but also the majority also worked for a living they had to just to get by.

These days they get payed big dollars to perform and in most cases play winter and summer sports all year round, train 5 - 7 days a week an much more finely tuned, as already pointed out just look at body shapes of sportsman these days compared to 30 - 40 yrs ago, I would almost argue that todays amateur parks footy players at some higher levels train harder then the "professionals" of 30 - 40yrs ago.

AFL players have gotten smaller muscle wise in the last 15-25 years.