• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I saw a bunch of dockers having drinks at the jetty on a night out, and surprisingly they didn't seem all that big to me. I thought they would've been giant behemoths especially that Pavlovich bloke, but nope.

Talking different sports here kunce.

AFL and Rugby League or Rugby Union are different sports. Its a certainty that Rugby League and Union players hit a lot harder over a sustained period of time nowadays than they did in times gone by. Pretty sure that's why all these Rugby League players are dying nowadays from head injuries when in years gone by that didn't happen.

AFL (Australian Rules) isn't really a COLLISION sport like Rugby League is, although it does occasionally happen. In Rugby League, two teams line up 10 metres apart facing each other and just run straight at each other.

I was thinking 90s.

AFL these days is a game of keepings off played by marathon runners.

yes, agree. Very much a running game which has taken away a bit of need for gross strength. a

It is a pity; was great to watch key forwards like Carey, Lockett and Dunstall.

Having said that, a few like Cloke and josh kennedy look like they are quite strong.

AFL and Rugby League or Rugby Union are different sports. Its a certainty that Rugby League and Union players hit a lot harder over a sustained period of time nowadays than they did in times gone by. Pretty sure that's why all these Rugby League players are dying nowadays from head injuries when in years gone by that didn't happen.

AFL (Australian Rules) isn't really a COLLISION sport like Rugby League is, although it does occasionally happen. In Rugby League, two teams line up 10 metres apart facing each other and just run straight at each other.

Spot on kunce, we are talking all sports, not just gayfl or thugby.

Head injury; is being adressed, by way of (hello) exercise, with the resurgence of 4 way neck machines.
But most injuries I believe (apart from the obvious body on body impact) is plain old foot striking ground impact.
In fact, It's "impact" that is the enemy, find ways to reduce impact and you reduce the likelihood of injury.
Taking impact out of exercise is a very smart move, doesn't matter how small big or muscular one is.

yes, agree. Very much a running game which has taken away a bit of need for gross strength. a

It is a pity; was great to watch key forwards like Carey, Lockett and Dunstall.

Having said that, a few like Cloke and josh kennedy look like they are quite strong.

Absolute legends of the game but it's very likely Dunstall and Lockett in their prime wouldn't get a game in todays game. It's not the type of player that plays the game anymore. Sad really, the afl with its rule changes has gotten rid of the best past of the game.

Fuck after watching state of origin I wouldn't have picked it though. All the talk about taking a stand before the game and fuck me what do we end up with, worse than an afl fight. Not even a jumper punch.

I still love the gayfl comment. Heard it so many times on Sydney footy trip by faggy blokes in skinny jeans that wouldn't survive a game of netball let alone afl. And what are they trying to claim, they are a tough rugby player. Lol. Not likely.

Had great times on the piss with rugby players on footy trip, never heard any of them say it.

Absolute legends of the game but it's very likely Dunstall and Lockett in their prime wouldn't get a game in todays game. It's not the type of player that plays the game anymore. Sad really, the afl with its rule changes has gotten rid of the best past of the game.

Modern footy for me is not enjoyable to watch, except when players are told to have a go and play their natural game (go with their gut)

I still love the gayfl comment. Heard it so many times on Sydney footy trip by faggy blokes in skinny jeans that wouldn't survive a game of netball let alone afl. And what are they trying to claim, they are a tough rugby player. Lol. Not likely.

Had great times on the piss with rugby players on footy trip, never heard any of them say it.

An AFL "hip and shoulder" can be very damaging, but generally Rugby League is more about collision than AFL. (Yes I have played both.)

Last edited:

Footy is a tough game, probably the most physically demanding, especially nowadays

Yep its usually the armchair sportsman who have never played either code who claim how soft or ridiculous other sports are...

An AFL "hip and shoulder" can be a lot more damaging, but generally Rugby League is more about collision than AFL. (Yes I have played both.)

The dangerous thing about afl is the game is 360 degrees. You could get cleaned up without ever seeing it coming but the collisions aren't as regular. . I agree rugby is more the continuous collision.

Footy is a tough game, probably the most physically demanding, especially nowadays

Don't really agree. It's hard but what sport isn't at the elite level. How do you determine the most physically demanding? AFL has more endurance requirement than the other major codes but I don't think that makes it most physically demanding.

Modern footy for me is not enjoyable to watch, except when players are told to have a go and play their natural game (go with their gut)

I used to be an afl member. Would go all the time I've been once in 10+ years. Haven't managed to watch a game in full on the TV for just as long.

I also think it's reported more now with social media and newspapers looking harder for stories.
My dad played for the roosters back in the 70s and LOTS of guys got injured and ended careers. One of his teammates broke his neck and it hardly got mentioned in the press.
Two guys I played with broke their necks, one in 99 and one in 2001. Neither made the news, yet seti Tafua from Norths broke his neck in the same comp two years ago and it was front page news and all over Facebook and Twitter. Different times. People have and always will get injured. Maybe the hits are harder now, who knows, but it's all relative to the era they're playing in.
Just my 2 cents! [MENTION=12409]Sir El Stiffy[/MENTION];