• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

0ni

Registered Rustler
This is what I use with my clients and myself
Tracking macros and eating to them is near enough impossible to get exactly right.

There is an easier way.
Let's take a quick breakdown of what nutrients do.

Protein - Stays static, 1g/lb or 2g/kg is fine. Eating more fills you up, eating less keeps you hungry.
Carbs - Provides energy, replenishes glycogen. Too much leads to shitty insulin resistance. Too little and it's hard to keep training intensity.
Fat - Caloric buffer, tasty as fuck, keeps you full when coupled with protein, diabetic heaven when coupled with carbs

So lets say you're 100kg. You train at a moderate volume and do a little cardio a few times a week. Standard bodybuilder or strength athlete.
Protein - 200g/day. No need for more or less, if you're hungry all the time then increase it. 3/4 of this should be from "protein sources" and the rest can be incidental
Carbs - 200-300g/day depending on activity level. If you're having issues with training hard, try eating more of them before you train or increase them. But try to get away with as few as possible.

So plan your meals so that you have all the protein and carbs you need for the day. Find out the total calories of this.
Now if you planned this correctly, you SHOULD have a number of calories that you're planning for the day. Take the caloric content of the protein+carbs sources and take that away from your total calories for the day

You'll have a remaining number of calories. If you don't, switch to a leaner source of meat or you'll have to accept that you're going to have to eat less carbohydrate than is optimal for performance. The remaining calories can come from anything if you're eating to gain weight (clean if you're health conscious but for body composition it simply doesn't matter) and a mixed protein/fat source like nuts, avocado etc if you're eating to lose weight

Simple, easy, flexible dieting

I'm not being a dick, but is this not obvious? I'm not being a smart arse, I just thought this was fairly common knowledge...

Here's one though, regarding training performance.. I train at 5 am, don't eat before, I'd rather sleep, then I go to work and don't eat till probably 10.. Do u think this is less than optimal?

That is a usual way to determine your macro requirements, e.g., protein requirements, carb requirements, and fats, or protein requirements, fat requirements and the remainder carbs, but what makes this particularly 'flexible' as such?

I'm not being a dick, but is this not obvious? I'm not being a smart arse, I just thought this was fairly common knowledge...

Here's one though, regarding training performance.. I train at 5 am, don't eat before, I'd rather sleep, then I go to work and don't eat till probably 10.. Do u think this is less than optimal?

Oh man, have you ever coached people?
It's terrible. Most people make a few meals then make up a meal at the end of the today to make it all fit. Well this way you can plan in advance. AND it lays out the groundwork for people to build on. It also demonstrates what is best used as a "calorie buffer", instead of the usual "HURR I have 200kcal left, gonna deck some ice cream now" you get from the IIFYM crowd

That is a usual way to determine your macro requirements, e.g., protein requirements, carb requirements, and fats, or protein requirements, fat requirements and the remainder carbs, but what makes this particularly 'flexible' as such?

It's flexible because you delegate the ESSENTIAL nutrients first (protein and carb intake) and the rest of it is pretty much free calories. You're not bound to silly macronutrient ratios. For fatties though, it is less flexible. It DOES however provide a good framework for cheating though. If they want flapjack, they can just look up the number of carbs in it, subtract the number of carbs from other things to hit the target range for carbs and still know they are in the right zone for fat loss

Most people would probably be happy to go with whatever figure myfitnesspal spits out at them. Myself included, until I figured the macro distributions were all incorrect lol.

What requires most amount of patience and constant monitoring is your maintenance calories. Especially the way it changes with your body composition.

@0ni; have you read the book Mike Israetel - The Renaissance Diet? Lots of good dieting info there with plenty of sources cited from.

Yeah the R2S Facebook is just people eating chocolate and ice cream to fill in the day... I've gone a circle, I'll generally not even bother if I'm short for the day, I just save it and eat a bit more another day.. I've just started tracking again after just going off feel and being sensible for probably 2 years... I've noticed i ts not hard to be pretty close to on point if your sensible and tracked properly in the past...
I love sweets, but I have to be mindful as "I'm a finish the packet" type of dude

Yes! I have read that book. It's very good, very logical. Again it's all just common sense. But people need common sense laid out to them

Oh man, have you ever coached people?
It's terrible. Most people make a few meals then make up a meal at the end of the today to make it all fit. Well this way you can plan in advance. AND it lays out the groundwork for people to build on. It also demonstrates what is best used as a "calorie buffer", instead of the usual "HURR I have 200kcal left, gonna deck some ice cream now" you get from the IIFYM crowd

It's flexible because you delegate the ESSENTIAL nutrients first (protein and carb intake) and the rest of it is pretty much free calories. You're not bound to silly macronutrient ratios. For fatties though, it is less flexible. It DOES however provide a good framework for cheating though. If they want flapjack, they can just look up the number of carbs in it, subtract the number of carbs from other things to hit the target range for carbs and still know they are in the right zone for fat loss

Gotcha. I've never really placed too much stock in macro ratios. As far as I'm concerned it's dictated by what your goals are and how your body reacts, and personal preference of course. I do find that there are certain ratios that my diet seems to generally follow, due to the types and amount of food I eat, but it's not deliberate.

I go even more simple than that. Calorie target, minimum protein amount. Eat protein with each meal. For those that tend to take the flexible thing a bit far, add a fibre target (and don't include bloody quest bars LOL).

I go even more simple than that. Calorie target, minimum protein amount. Eat protein with each meal. For those that tend to take the flexible thing a bit far, add a fibre target (and don't include bloody quest bars LOL).

I find far greater success with myself and clients setting carb goals as well
Especially when dieting down, or people with bad cholesterol

Calories takes up like 50% of your results. The other 50% is macros, timing, quality of food eaten and supplementation (in that order)
I've managed to completely reverse fucked up LDL in myself and lowered my fasting glucose significantly with making sure I eat just enough carbs to train hard and eating then when I need them most (before training)

I'm poor so I don't go any deeper than that. Chicken breast, regular mince and rice here lol. You'd get better results with dialling that in more
But that's not flexible lol
This will give 85% of total results. The other 15% only matters if you're about to compete

cholesterol is one of the most understood things in medicine, and the truth is, is high cholesterol really bad?

study's show it is, studies show it isn't.

heart surgeons cut open chests of some people with high cholesterole and they are fine...
heart surgeons cut open chests of some people with low cholesterole and they are terrible...

can't always trust what we see in medicine, esp when driven my pharmacudicals, like cholesterole lowering statens

Same here, Calorie target range, minimum Protein and I also aim for 6-10 serves of Fruit and Vege per day (which takes care of my fibre). I fill the rest in with Starches

People with much more knowledge than you or me on the topic.

i work in the medical field, and have done near 16yrs.
ive observed how research "grants" are executed for studies.

have you?
how do you make a living and feed your children if you go against the grain???
think about it