• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Repacked

Punxsutawney resident
What have you found to be the most effective lat exercises, best methods of lat activation, and what has given you the best lat width results?

Pullups and chinups for sure. I have also recently added straight arm pull downs to nurture the growth of my emerging batwings.

Can't pinpoint anything because no single exercise was done exclusively in my younger years.

still searching for the key. my money says its more about the mind muscle connection than the actual excercise.

still searching for the key. my money says its more about the mind muscle connection than the actual excercise.

I would say without hesitation that it's more to do with the weak link than anything else, in the case of building thickness in the lats, it's the arms, the arms will tire, long before those big muscles in the back get to any sort of real mojo happening.

I find that :(
Feel like a homo strapping myself to the lat pulldown bar though
Seem to get better burn in the lats doing row type movements as the arms don't tire as quickly

I would say without hesitation that it's more to do with the weak link than anything else, in the case of building thickness in the lats, it's the arms, the arms will tire, long before those big muscles in the back get to any sort of real mojo happening.

and that ultimately comes down to making the connection with the back and not the arms.

mind muscle connection.

This machine will make you feel like you have lats for the first time in your life, the burn is unbelievable.i have both but separate, machines, the trick is to quickly go from one to the next.image.jpg

and that ultimately comes down to making the connection with the back and not the arms.

mind muscle connection.

no, the bicep is primarily responsible for moving the arm, along with the posterior deltoid and the forearms, the bicep, being a much smaller muscle compared to the lat will fatigue much quicker, before the lat has used even 50% of its fresh strength.

thats why the chin-up with hand supinated is a better option because the bicep/s are engaged, stronger to enable you to use the lats a little longer, but still the arms are the weak link, nothing to do with mind connection, it's about mechanics.

This machine will make you feel like you have lats for the first time in your life, the burn is unbelievable.i have both but separate, machines, the trick is to quickly go from one to the next.View attachment 11337

I find this works well...

bernieart.jpg

I find that :(
Seem to get better burn in the lats doing row type movements as the arms don't tire as quickly

The row is an all round back builder, a lot of muscles are working here.

the chin-up is a brutal exercise, that primarily needs the lats and strong arms and light body to facilitate the movement.

keep doing them, they take time.

Is this where straps come in handy? keep working the back muscles after the weaker biceps have fatigued?

Is this where straps come in handy? keep working the back muscles after the weaker biceps have fatigued?

You mean hands strapped to the bar?
yeah maybe, sort of changes the force to behind the elbow as opposed to making the arm the focus.

I recently tried using straps on the lat pulldown machine. It was like night and day. Previously I could only go up to 90kg, as I'm not heavy enough to pull the bar down to get started. The straps let me rep out 100kg, where now my actual body weight isn't an issue.

I then follow it up with body weight wide overhand pull ups. This way your arms are fresh and lats are pre fatigued.

Barbell bent over underhand rows are a very underrated exercise. Reps these out and you'll feel your lower lats burning.

You mean hands strapped to the bar?
yeah maybe, sort of changes the force to behind the elbow as opposed to making the arm the focus.
it's funny but I can perform the T-Bar with 100+ and not require straps but with barbell rows (possible due to wider grip) I struggle. Yeah grip strength sux...:eek: