• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
My theory for back is the same as every other body part. Do what you feel works best for YOU.

20150704_133711Rsz#.jpg
4/7

My theory for back is the same as every other body part. Do what you feel works best for YOU.

View attachment 11372
4/7

You touch on a good point fudge, in terms of the amount of work , the intensity of and the frequency one works out throughout the week due to their ability to recover, (and I mean progression, )then yes, but the exercise one picks from the tool box are all the same, due to different body structures one needs to find the best movement.

purerly from a mechanical perspective and the way the lat attaches and inserts and from a contracted to extended postion then chin-ups are the king.
machine pullovers are the most result producing movement ever invented by man.

Why is it that because when you need to do like 3x10, you wouldn't pick a weight where you'd struggle to make 10 in the 1st set right?? Else you'd be proper fukked by the time the third set comes around lol.

You wanna approach failure in set 3 not set 1 or is that not how its done with lats.

There is a theory that one set to momentary muscular fatigue is just as efficient as doing multiple sets, and in some cases this is so true, depending on the exercise, and the resistance applied throughout the movement, that being constant, which is not possible on many barbell exercises.

but that's a can of worms I'm over talking about.

Fudge :D

Yeah, when I was younger my Lats were too dominant. I looked too bro, like Sly Stallone with wings and all I ever did was Pull Ups and Barbell Rows. But obviously it was the Pull Ups I did endlessly from the beams under the house.

But Chin Ups seem the preferable option. Although Chin Ups give you flat feet. Bet you didn't know that [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; !

Lol that is so random.. whats chin ups got to do with flat feet!

I have a hard time watching elliot hulse videos.

Chin-ups are dogshit
Same with deadlifts really

Good for building the base
When you have the base, forget it
If you keep building a foundation then you just have a shitty house, start adding bricks

Chin-ups are dogshit

If you keep building a foundation then you just have a shitty house, start adding bricks

Yeah, maybe.

Chin-ups are dogshit

I think Pull Ups are the better builder of Lats but Chin Ups maybe the safer option. I did a lot of Pull Ups when young and have a dicky Shoulder which I suspect is due to all those Pull Ups, as Silverback occasionally refers to.

Since losing a heap of weight and finding pullups easier, I do pullups most sessions my lats have never grown as quickly as they are now. Either that or I'm getting leaner and they're poking out more ?

Do lat pulldowns correctly
you'll see the difference

I use 70kg on my pulldowns and deadlift 280
I've done pull-ups with 50kg added for 5s and was deadlifting 230 at 65kg

I think Pull Ups are the better builder of Lats but Chin Ups maybe the safer option. I did a lot of Pull Ups when young and have a dicky Shoulder which I suspect is due to all those Pull Ups, as Silverback occasionally refers to.

I don't think they are a better option, if you look at the two, they are moving in different plains, you just have to look at the movement of the shoulder blades, most think the pull-ups are awesome because it creates width, that is utter rubbish, the lat like any muscle can only become thicker.

finding the right exercise is about working out how to place a muscle in its fully contracted to fully stretched position, try this;

just stand there with both pull-up (hands pronated, at about 800mm-900mm apart)
and contract the muscles; you shoulder blades buch up, slifgt contraction of the lats, and you ant deltoids will feel tight.

chinup; hand suppinated hands just shoulder width (750mm) upper arms inline or just past the torso and contract, lats only are contracted along with biceps, minimal contraction around the shoulder blades and also note where the upper arm is is the pull up.

wide grip pull up is the powerlifters worst enemy.

But they seem to like doing them, it's all about how much I can move over a short distance swinging like a funny door.

Last edited:
Someone explain the difference between chin ups and pull ups please?

I just did.

pullups, wide grip hands pronated (no other choice) around 900mm
chinups; around shoulder width (700mm) or thereabouts
pulldown, cable machine using chinup position
lat pulldown; same as pullups

I don't think they are a better option, if you look at the two, they are moving in different plains, you just have to look at the movement of the shoulder blades, most think the pull-ups are awesome because it creates width, that is utter rubbish, the lat like any muscle can only become thicker.

finding the right exercise is about working out how to place a muscle in its fully contracted to fully stretched position, try this;

just stand there with both pull-up (hands pronated, at about 800mm-900mm apart)
and contract the muscles; you shoulder blades buch up, slifgt contraction of the lats, and you ant deltoids will feel tight.

chinup; hand suppinated hands just shoulder width (750mm) upper arms inline or just past the torso and contract, lats only are contracted along with biceps, minimal contraction around the shoulder blades and also note where the upper arm is is the pull up.

wide grip pull up is the powerlifters worst enemy.

But they seem to like doing them, it's all about how much I can move over a short distance swinging like a funny door.

Do neutral grip shoulder width pullups then.. best of both worlds.. BAM

Do lat pulldowns correctly
you'll see the difference

I use 70kg on my pulldowns and deadlift 280
I've done pull-ups with 50kg added for 5s and was deadlifting 230 at 65kg

This is where chin-ups fail, using a cable you can angle the torso to Change the line of resistance.
this machine is a delight to use

Do neutral grip shoulder width pullups then.. best of both worlds.. BAM

Neutral can be bad for the elbows, so be careful, the best position is in that video.

neutral feels great for me, but if I do it for too long my elbows become really sore.