• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Slow negs and flaring the lats to some degree on most pulling exercises

Cable rows, db rows need to tuck elbows

Preferred pulldowns to pullups but developed fucky elbows a while ago

Deads obviously. However don't feel them to be effective for that purpose unless you are performing high volume and 'muscling' them

Which position of the row works best would youse say? Horizontal rows to the bottom of the ribcage? 45 deg bentover high row to the nipple line?
All assuming elbows tucked in with a powerful contraction at the top, of course.

Which position of the row works best would youse say? Horizontal rows to the bottom of the ribcage? 45 deg bentover high row to the nipple line?
All assuming elbows tucked in with a powerful contraction at the top, of course.

That would ultimately come down to the condition of ones lower back, if one was using a whole body workout with exercises like; the squat, leg press, deadlift and such, then one would be better off using a chest supported version.
if one used a split program, then the standing bent over variety would be great.

rib cage or nipple line?
bros-science, it's not about where the bar finishes, it's about contracting the shoulder blades, the hands and forearm are just "hooks" so to speak, you must imagine the resistance is behind the elbow, so relax the bicep, and let the upper arm do the work, once you get that right, shit starts happening, in a good way.

Last edited:
]it's about contracting the shoulder blades, the hands and forearm are just "hooks" so to speak, you must imagine the resistance is behind the elbow, so relax the bicep, and let the upper arm do the work, once you get that right, shit starts happening, in a good way.

Pretty much. The trick to rowing is to focus on your elbows leading the way. Your arms are just along for the ride.

if you lean back on the lat pulldown, and retract the shoulder blades, the lat pulldown can be great with a mid-wide grip. upright not so much, but get some lean and isolation is much improved with correct technique.

Some good tips in the chinning video below however....Charles says that he evaluates whether a trainer is "any good" by IF they can get a client to 12 chin-ups in 12 weeks.
Then he has his VERY fit subject (also featured in several other videos) demonstrate She cannot do 12 chin-ups at all "just" seven.
So i reckon don't take ALL the C Poliquin "advices" at full value (Or his Synthol filled biceps). Just PROGRESS, baby!

[video=youtube;Z2rDdhR3ils]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=93&v=Z2rDdhR3ils[/video]

The 30sex eccentric is a good idea. I will gonna try that. That 'sensei' has some good tricks up his sleeve lol

My lats are one of my strongest points and they have really grown a lot recently along with the rest of my back
This is what I find to be best.

I deadlift first, but this is optional. I wouldn't worry too much about the deadlifts. You do stiff legs for hamstrings on your leg day and that is plenty for the erectors
Fibre type is mixed, so you need to go heavy with plenty of volume.
I start with barbell rows, start at sets of 10 and pyramid up until you can't get a set of 8. Do them so you're leaning right over and push the bar forwards at the bottom. Should look like a good morning with the bar in your hands, then start rowing and use some body english.
Lat pulldowns next. Grip depends on if your biceps are strong or not I guess. Don't go wide use a narrow grip. Underhand wide is also good though because the elbows still get pinned against the body. I usually go 6-8 sets on this, starting light at 20 reps and pyramid up to where I can't get 6 reps or so. I'll finish with slow negatives and isotension reps (someone holds it in position and you pull against it with a static hold- you get mad convulsions)

After then the lats will be very pumped, do a few light sets of straight armed pulldowns or seated cable rows depending where in the lats you need to hit.
After that you're really not going to get much more blood in the muscles, so stretch them out with some light dumbbell rows, 2-3 sets is fine

Then biceps, won't need much, never do lots of sets for arms honestly... they will never grow. 2-3 sets of preachers (I rest them on an incline bench and stand behind it) very light, make 10kg dumbbells stimulate over 6-12 reps. Train one arm at a time and again end on a few slow negatives and an isotension rep for the last set

What do you think of that [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; ?

If you're feeling it in the forearm as well
Change grip to thumbs over, strap up, do not grip the bar hard. Just concentrate on flexing the lats- don't try to move the weight

Back must always be arched otherwise your not working your lats
Most excerises must be proformed underhanded to increase the range or motion
lower the weight most people should cut it in half
control the weight pull down slow up hold one sec at the bottom
squeeze your shoulder blades together like your crushing a can
squeeze you lats and pull from the insertion point
pull with your elbows not with your hands
Back usually is basic
Open up lats
control the weight, controll the negitive,
squeze each rep dont worry about the weight
3 sets each, higher reps 12-15 work well with back
Do this and you will not only be sore like no other, you will grow, and grow correctly this is the sucessful way to train these bodyparts.

Last edited:
Finding what works for you is key, this is great for you.
1. the row is just an overall funky back builder the way you described it was good, less the body language, which I don't like, shouldn't use momentum.
2. good tip about grip width on the chin's depending on the shape of ones shoulder we need to find a width that minimizes impingement.
3. Straight arm's are great, better still pullovers.
4. Negatives are underrated, and shouldn't be done too often.
5. You're right about Bicep curls you won't need much, if you can do a third set, you haven't worked hard enough.

oh one more thing
I say go light and go heavy
Yeah you're going as heavy as possible with good tech
So hitting failure in the first set- 8-12 reps. As heavy as you can go but not heaving or ego lifting

If you want to ego lift then just deadlift, can't cheat that really, you get to use a lot of weight

Why is it that because when you need to do like 3x10, you wouldn't pick a weight where you'd struggle to make 10 in the 1st set right?? Else you'd be proper fukked by the time the third set comes around lol.

You wanna approach failure in set 3 not set 1 or is that not how its done with lats.

Why is it that because when you need to do like 3x10, you wouldn't pick a weight where you'd struggle to make 10 in the 1st set right?? Else you'd be proper fukked by the time the third set comes around lol.

You wanna approach failure in set 3 not set 1 or is that not how its done with lats.

Basically, first few sets are warm-ups. Then you're going to failure.
>Else you'd be proper fukked by the time the third set comes around
Well yeah, that's the idea. You need to stimulate the muscles and fill them with blood while you have the nutrients in your body
Otherwise you're just going to get fat

Hit failure as fast as possible, jam the blood in the area then stretch them out- this is how you grow
If you're not getting stronger you're probably not growing either
Same if the weight on the scale isn't going up

Look at how John Meadows trains back for example