• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I feel that wide grip pull downs and pull ups work my lats the best, but not super wide. The wider you go, the less range of motion you have. But the narrower you go, the more your arms take over. So play around until you find the sweet spot.

I was going to mention shoulder rotators but thought too many people would get butthurt.

Yeah I used to do them all the time with a cable or light band...Not so much now unless I get shoulder issues then I'll curse myself for not doing them

Yeah I started doing them religiously a bit less than a year ago when I was getting shoulder pain benching, and it has cleared that right up. Now I'm afraid to stop doing them. I normally do them prior to bench but should probably do them on another day to conserve energy for bench as I treat them like any other exercise in terms of intensity/effort.

Funny as hell when you see tiny dudes doing the chicken wing side laterals with 20s; if they used proper form they could use less than half the weight and get a better result.

Chicks (and quite a few guys too) doing sled 'runs' like they are pushing a kmart shopping trolley. :p

Seems to be the way to go lately. Not that I have a problem with that of course.

Chicks (and quite a few guys too) doing sled 'runs' like they are pushing a kmart shopping trolley. :p

Seems to be the way to go lately. Not that I have a problem with that of course.

Getting in some practice for the EOFY sales.

The biggest bro movement would have to be the obligatory: hand shake and hug with at least 17 stringer wearing kunce and a good checkout of the hair than the abs in the mirror from at least 6 angles before any curls are attempted.
No self respecting would do any less.

I feel that wide grip pull downs and pull ups work my lats the best, but not super wide. The wider you go, the less range of motion you have. But the narrower you go, the more your arms take over. So play around until you find the sweet spot.

This is an exercise (pull ups actually) where I think mind muscle connection works for moving more weight just as much as activating muscle groups. I found that when I really concentrated on using lats before arms in an underhand grip chinup, numbers for weights and reps went up. Also, obviously more lat activation than if I didn't.

Since doing it this way, I don't notice any difference in lat activation between narrower, wider, neutral, regular grip. There probably is a bit but not enough for me to notice.

Also, just doing BW chins if you aren't going anywhere near failure I find it quite easy to basically use nothing but back except for the very top part of the movement.

The chin-up and its variants are the king of lat builders, If one wants to do them to rep the benefits, then finding the right hand spacing is critical and different for most and a compromise is needed.
visualizing this will help you understand why hands spacing is critical;

sitting in a chair holding a pencil in each hand bring your arms down by your side, notice the angle of the pencils, now extend you arms up above the head, and notice the angle change.

you'll notice that most people will feel a lot more comfortable with palms facing...as opposed to fully suppinated as you experience shoulder wrecking impingement over time.

unforunatly palms facing more often than not lead to painful elbows.

some pull down machines offer rotating handles with this in mind, whereby you start suppinated at contraction, and rotating the hands as you move in to the stretched position minimizes shoulde impingement, if you like chinning and have issues, these machines are a must.

i think the best modern machine (without rotating handles) produced by far is the Hammer strength high pull, the movement is the only one that effectively contracts the lats, where most of the magic happens in all exercises.