• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Yeah, most people associate LISS with walking their dog to the shops and back, and HIIT with tabata or a alcohol fueled carpet grinding haze. It doesn't have to go extreme either way and you can incorporate the two into your training world and still joyously reap the benefits of both.

MISS, MIIT, or MILF is where it's at.

Like I've said before, I've tried both and prefer HIIT cardio.
- Takes less time.
- Feels like you've actually trained (anyone can walk slowly at an incline for an hour).
- Don't get that starving feeling afterwards.
- Burns more calories (for the same amount of time).

Both styles work, HIIT is just more efficient.

Like I've said before, I've tried both and prefer HIIT cardio.
- Takes less time.
- Feels like you've actually trained (anyone can walk slowly at an incline for an hour).
- Don't get that starving feeling afterwards.
- Burns more calories (for the same amount of time).

Both styles work, HIIT is just more efficient.

a brisk walk or gentle jog isn't "walk slowly"

i think this is where your thinking of LISS fails you.

Last edited:
Depends on your fitness levels?? Camille Le Blanc Bazinet could probably brisk walk and yawn at the same time to stretch out her sore jaws. A fattie from biggest loser? A choo choo train would consume less oxygen.

The L(Intensity)SS is relative to the fitness level of the person.

some HR monitors have LISS and HIIT zones now built in now I see, not that I would pay much attention to them, being the dumb calculators that they are.

My thinking is, if you're workouts do not raise your heart rate, then HIIT, should be considered, I think 20 minutes would be plenty once a week is plenty.
LISS, is something we should all do, at least 30 minutes a day.

I call LISS cardio, just general life things that I do :p

I am sure I've said this before but during bb prep last year I did 2 HIIT sessions. Recovery went to shit, felt like death, strength took a dive. For the rest of the time I just used a recumbent bike at no more than 15 km/h. So slow that I didn't even know I was doing anything basically. Takes much longer but when I'm watching TV/mma I don't really care.

I noticed my stamina and strength goes down after a hard game of squash as well. That probably counts as HIIT.

I noticed my stamina and strength goes down after a hard game of squash as well. That probably counts as HIIT.

No, I think it counts as squash, I think workouts are so misunderstood and most underrated.

The best way to improve the heart, lung and circulation has to be an activity that involves resistance, like its the muscles that move the body and improves the system, it's not the other way around.

if the body is trying to recover, its the muscles that move the body that are recovering.

if we spend too much time doing "cardio" the muscles never get a chance to recover, I think we've got arse backwards, we spend way too much time focusing on trying to be fit.

No, I think it counts as squash, I think workouts are so misunderstood and most underrated.

The best way to improve the heart, lung and circulation has to be an activity that involves resistance, like its the muscles that move the body and improves the system, it's not the other way around.

if the body is trying to recover, its the muscles that move the body that are recovering.

if we spend too much time doing "cardio" the muscles never get a chance to recover, I think we've got arse backwards, we spend way too much time focusing on trying to be fit.

Fair point Mr Pointy Man, but what what would you call someone doing tabata style burpees then? There's no resistance there. I think the idea is not to look at things so black and white. "Oh heck no you're just star jumping into the air you kunt", there are obviously carryover benefits to each activity/sport.

Let's lay down the law on what you must and must not do on your active recovery days!! Said no one ever.

I get that the muscles never get a chance to recover by spending too much time twitching them in our neverending pursuit to be fit 24/7. I reckon most do so out of boredom.

Squash and similar sports are pretty much exactly HIIT. You spend a short amount of time going close to 100% capacity, and then short rest periods.

Fair point Mr Pointy Man, but what what would you call someone doing tabata style burpees then? There's no resistance there. I think the idea is not to look at things so black and white. "Oh heck no you're just star jumping into the air you kunt", there are obviously carryover benefits to each activity/sport.

Let's lay down the law on what you must and must not do on your active recovery days!! Said no one ever.

I get that the muscles never get a chance to recover by spending too much time twitching them in our neverending pursuit to be fit 24/7. I reckon most do so out of boredom.

body-weight exercises are great, but have their limitations as you are unable to add resistance effectively over time, you can add rep's, but that's not conducive to adding muscle tissue, tabata style burpees are good if you like doing them, but primarily a waste of fucking time.

fucking active recovery?
Working out" 20++ hours a week: Lunacy. Go ride a motorcycle, dig a hole or spend time with your family or volunteer or travel or visit a nursing home or build shelters or feed hungry or MAKE A fucking DIFFERENCE SOMEHOW lol.

I'm clearly wasting my time here.

Squash and similar sports are pretty much exactly HIIT. You spend a short amount of time going close to 100% capacity, and then short rest periods.

So you are now a squash expert?
You idiot, squash is not HIIT, FFS.

HIIT, is a structured timed interval activity.

If I am doing cardio of any sort I ain't thinking about adding muscle tissue, counting reps or progressive overload lol. I don't think cardio is meant to have hypertrophy or strength development in mind, that's just me hey. I think of cardio as getting me ticker pumping my inner juices like crazy for a bit and sweating a bunch, while having a bit of fun on the side preferably.

fucking active recovery?
Now we are talking, yo! Sexc time = recovered like a BOSS. Hit it!

So you are now a squash expert?
You idiot, squash is not HIIT, FFS.

HIIT, is a structured timed interval activity.

Cardio is anything that raises your heart rate without weighted resistance, other than gravity. Your body and ultimately heart doesn't care what you call your jumping or sprinting. It's all cardiovascular exercise.