• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
you're smart.

Yes.

I guess, at 54 I'm a lot more reflective and much less bullet proof, I'm in the best shape of my life, no aches or pains, stronger than most 20 year olds, I think back and look what I've done, the hours in the gym, and thankful I can still do it, what I've done has helped me become what I am today, I wasn't thinking that in my mid 20's.

There is a lot to be said for that.

If you could see the future and knew that the way you were training now would inhibit you in later life, the vast majority of people would train differently and make longevity a priority. Benefit of hindsight and all that.... Some people will no doubt develop chronic injuries that will lead to discomfort in the years to come, some will not.

SteveP; The lifting hobbyist is just that, are you planning to compete in weightlifting or bodybuilding?

I think a large % of the population have no interest, should they train like the person that competes?

Maybe. I'd like to push myself and see if I have what it takes. You'll never figure that out training to be mediocre.

theres nothing in there that says the training was mediocre, what it did say was listen to your body and train accordingly.

having a great day, smash it. feeling beat up? hold back.

its actually the rules elite athletes in EVERY sport follow, even powerlifters.

has absolutely nothing to do with not pushing hard, its just preventing being stupid and "forcing" something when your not in the condition to, and that is why people come up with 5-3-1 programs etc, so the body doesn't get too beat up (esp how they start extra low weight first weeks because it WILL catch up in the weeks to come, but gives time for the body to adjust according, then excell)

theres nothing in there that says the training was mediocre, what it did say was listen to your body and train accordingly.

having a great day, smash it. feeling beat up? hold back.

its actually the rules elite athletes in EVERY sport follow, even powerlifters.

has absolutely nothing to do with not pushing hard, its just preventing being stupid and "forcing" something when your not in the condition to, and that is why people come up with 5-3-1 programs etc, so the body doesn't get too beat up (esp how they start extra low weight first weeks because it WILL catch up in the weeks to come, but gives time for the body to adjust according, then excell)

True.

which reminds me of a massivejoe's video they did training with Ronnie Coleman, and how ronnie is saying he's still doing what he's always done, nothings really changed, it work before, it'll always work for him, meaning his routines, his form etc.

finding out what works for you doesn't mean your being a pussy in the gym.

The average joe isn't going to self regulate very well using these idyllic principles because he'll wander down the path of least resistance where cheerios, hunkering down in a comfy sofa, and terabytes of streaming milfypr0n is the norm.

That's where idea of 'pushing yourself' is paramount if the average joe wants to accomplish anything out of his training other than massive wrist DOMS and uneven forearms.

But we're not average joes m8, we're more alpha than that and know when to test our limits and when to back off and rest accordingly.. to avoid 'overtraining', 'overreaching' and other such horrendous sounding terms.. or DO WE??

Never the less, I do believe that many have lost the art of listening to their body, or the so called mind body connection thingamajig though which leads to all sorts of physical complications further down the track. Just think, some of them yoga master freaks can make themselves come just from meditating hard. like, bam bam thank you.. myself. Far out man that's pretty fukken awes if you ask me.

The average joe isn't going to self regulate very well using these idyllic principles because he'll wander down the path of least resistance where cheerios, hunkering down in a comfy sofa, and terabytes of streaming milfypr0n is the norm.

That's where idea of 'pushing yourself' is paramount if the average joe wants to accomplish anything out of his training other than massive wrist DOMS and uneven forearms.

But we're not average joes m8, we're more alpha than that and know when to test our limits and when to back off and rest accordingly.. to avoid 'overtraining', 'overreaching' and other such horrendous sounding terms.. or DO WE??

Never the less, I do believe that many have lost the art of listening to their body, or the so called mind body connection thingamajig though which leads to all sorts of physical complications further down the track. Just think, some of them yoga master freaks can make themselves come just from meditating hard. like, bam bam thank you.. myself. Far out man that's pretty fukken awes if you ask me.

Just WTF are you on about blabber fingers?

What you've done is most admirable

In hindsight, I could have been wiser a lot sooner. The fact that my leg strength lags behind my upper body strength is testimony to my stupidity over the years that I never stuck to squatting properly or performing lower body exercises properly.

That is why I have some lower back issues, although they were also evident in my early 20s.

The next ten years of my life I am going to work hard to restore greater balance in terms of leg strength and greater flexibility.

Having said that, I still have good strength levels for any age, can still train hard and consistent, and am in pretty good nick injury wise.

Why "maybe"?

and what is "mediocre" in a workout sense?
is that what you are implying?

Like I said, I'd like to push myself and first see if I have what it takes.

In the original post, it talks about doing the same thing for 30 years; that doesn't sound very progressive. It's all well and good to brag about being injury free in your 50s, but someone training to be injury free in 20-30 years time is going to train different to someone who competes in bodybuilding or powerlifting.

Like I said, I'd like to push myself and first see if I have what it takes.

In the original post, it talks about doing the same thing for 30 years; that doesn't sound very progressive. It's all well and good to brag about being injury free in your 50s, but someone training to be injury free in 20-30 years time is going to train different to someone who competes in bodybuilding or powerlifting.

Very good, how long will you give yourself?
What is your plan or goal when you realize you are average like most of us?
What will your workout look like in ten years?
You think by training and eating like you idols will transform you?
lots of luck.

I'm not bragging about being injury free, I'm mearly stating a fact, but to me, a healthy active flexible body is a lot more useful compared to all those second rate trophies for second rate sporting events and body building beauty pageants, whatever floats the boat.

And I admit, I was like you too at one point in time, I don't know the bloke who wore this article, but the message I receive is; workout like your life depends on it, because it does, try to find the minimum amount required to garner the maximum results, know yourself and your limitations, try everything and above all back off when you need to.

the irony is, is that a "workout/s" over time is designed to make one stronger, not weaker and injury ridden.

i have nothing to sell, I'm just mearly giving a old bastards perspective on a young mans activity, good luck with whatever you do.

Ever thought about getting into motivational speaking?

Chapter 1: Don't have any goals as you'll inevitably end up old and injured.