• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Nobody knows what causes DOMS, all we have at this juncture are theories, anyone saying that they know are tools.

what we know is that there are nerves in the muscle, but these particular nerves are not the nerves that identify pain.

so, the common excepted theory of the educated person is that DOMS is not a measure of muscle growth or its byproduct "strength".
DOMS is a result of doing a movement or exercise after a prolonged break, where the tendons, ligaments and bursar have been subjected to movements their not use to, as with everything you nimrods, the severity and duration of pain would be different from one person to the next.

the only true measure of growth is progression you dumb fucks.

nothing else is possible.

Last edited:
I get DOMS mostly in the chest and shoulders these days. Yes, abs too if I been thrusting for too long, too hard.

Nobody knows what causes DOMS, all we have at this juncture are theories, anyone saying that they know are tools.

what we know is that there are nerves in the muscle, but these particular nerves are not the nerves that identify pain.

so, the common excepted theory of the educated person is that DOMS is not a measure of muscle growth or its byproduct "strength".
DOMS is a result of doing a movement or exercise after a prolonged break, where the tendons, ligaments and bursar have been subjected to movements their not use to, as with everything you nimrods, the severity and duration of pain would be different from one person to the next.

the only true measure of growth is progression you dumb fucks.

nothing else is possible.
Agreed.

To experiment, take your 5*5 work out total volume. Now get 30% of your 1rm and do one set to failure. I guarantee you that even if the total volume is less you will be Farkin sore. Simply because it is a shock to the system (if you regularly do 5*5)

Shock to the system doesn't mean progress. In regards to strength or Hypertrophy

So which is it, nimrod?

Which is what?

If you mean max growth and minimum soreness you expose the muscle to maximum resistance and you do it often enough to minimize the effects of soreness, everyone responds differently in terms of severity and duration of sorness.

The only real value to soreness is to see what a particular exercise really targets, and what adjustments one can make if the targeted muscles are not sore, the full force of soreness takes effect at around 48 hours, it's a good idea to do the same exercise after the next 24 hours, using a lighter weight for a beginner and a seasoned trainer, but at the end of the day DOMS is not an indicator (as with pump) of a hard workout.
For a beginner it can be devastating, a beginner should use a break in period.
That usually means lighter weight, a lot of reps done daily, but this seldom happens.

Last edited:
Totally.
If one wants growth and minimal DOMS One should be exposing muscles to load (force) above and beyond what they are use to often and regularly.

According to what criteria does it mean you're not training 'properly'? Whether you are training each muscle specifically once per week, twice per week or twice every ten days you are still working each muscle regularly, although the frequency is varying. Growth can be achieved with all of these frequencies. What is 'optimum' for growth varies from person to person and depends on factors like recovery ability and training intensity. So again, aside from not having to put up with DOMS what general benefits are you espousing? There are too many absolute and blanket statements spat out around here.

According to what criteria does it mean you're not training 'properly'? Whether you are training each muscle specifically once per week, twice per week or twice every ten days you are still working each muscle regularly, although the frequency is varying. Growth can be achieved with all of these frequencies. What is 'optimum' for growth varies from person to person and depends on factors like recovery ability and training intensity. So again, aside from not having to put up with DOMS what general benefits are you espousing? There are too many absolute and blanket statements spat out around here.

Ok, well, in bullet point, list the reason\s we workout.

The salient point Dark, Barry and I are making is;
(and the other two nimrods can say if I'm wrong)
Chasing DOMS for the measure of a hard workout is the wrong mind-set.

If you are experiencing DOMS after - let's say every workout, it will most likely be counter-productive to your goal.

I'm not posting here on this forum to just be Kunty, I truly like to help.

The salient point Dark, Barry and I are making is;
(and the other two nimrods can say if I'm wrong)
Chasing DOMS for the measure of a hard workout is the wrong mind-set.

If you are experiencing DOMS after - let's say every workout, it will most likely be counter-productive to your goal.

I'm not posting here on this forum to just be Kunty, I truly like to help.

^ This I agree with. If you are getting DOMS to the point where it is inhibiting further training then yes, it is counter productive.

Bazzas assertion that if you are getting DOMS you are not training 'properly' is utter rubbish. There is no point in training with a frequency that inhibits your recovery just to avoid DOMS, just as there is no point in training specifically for the resulting DOMS. DOMS are a secondary phenomenon and will occur at different acuities for different people with different training styles, and as you yourself said, depend on a range of factors.

Train the muscle hard and frequet, and no more doms, eventually no more pump either, I'm just left with the crap tired, numb feeling in them and slightly sore joints..
Doesnt mean the muscle isnt growing, just feels shit......gimme the PUMP kunce, I'll put up with the doms.

^ This I agree with. If you are getting DOMS to the point where it is inhibiting further training then yes, it is counter productive.

Bazzas assertion that if you are getting DOMS you are not training 'properly' is utter rubbish. There is no point in training with a frequency that inhibits your recovery just to avoid DOMS, just as there is no point in training specifically for the resulting DOMS. DOMS are a secondary phenomenon and will occur at different acuities for different people with different training styles, and as you yourself said, depend on a range of factors.

If you are encountering soreness week in week out of a particular muscle or group of muscles, then, in a real sense you are in fact not training properly.

DOMS is a secondary phenomenon of not working-out out regularly enough to maximize the possibility of muscular growth.

Train the muscle hard and frequet, and no more doms, eventually no more pump either, I'm just left with the crap tired, numb feeling in them and slightly sore joints..
Doesnt mean the muscle isnt growing, just feels shit......gimme the PUMP kunce, I'll put up with the doms.

Ever go into a room when someone's farted?
It fuckin reeks but then the smell goes after a while, you leave the room, come back and it stinks, your body adjusts, it's not a threat to your life so it switches off.

You are most likely still experiencing "pump" it's just that you do not notice it, in fact I would go as far as to say that 100%