• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
i just use a higher stance on the leg press (with toe presses each set) so it hits the hammies also, and squat, then leg ext and hammies machine. and bam, legs in 1 go. could add lunges or something but generally use alot of volume on the leg press + toe presses and spent.

get knee problems when i do too much hammies or too heavy. tore my ligament as a kid skiing, and its never been the same... every time i push even more than 50^ on the hammie isolation machine it destroyes my knee, but is fairly fine for squat and press so stick to the real life movements.

Maybe isolation is not the best term.. how about focal.

ok, focal then.

I just think it's going to be pretty hard to make a focus on the big muscles of the hip, at some point a muscle (and we are talking mainly about the quads, hams and most importantly the glutes) is going to take a shot.

The glutes are key to strong legs and back

I'd do more leg compounds if I had the opportunity.
Isolation and volume is the only way I can make them grow.
'short term pain, long term gain'.

I've been training less than a year and my legs are pushing on 26' now.

Serious though, when I go to a gym with a squat rack. I basically spend half my workout in there.

Quads - 20 sets
Hams - 20 sets
a week.

Last edited:
It's bloody stupid

It's definitely not. All good bodybuilders incorporate considerable amounts of isolation in their workouts.
I do not under estimate the value of heavy as fark squats and do not under estimate of the destroying of quads on a leg extension.

Just keep doing what you're doing Puggy. As long as it's working, do whatever sets, reps, weight and exercises you want.

If we listened to some of the people on here, we'd debate the correct angle of a back extension for 3 hours, then do 2 deadlifts and call it a full body session.

It's definitely not. All good bodybuilders incorporate considerable amounts of isolation in their workouts.
I do not under estimate the value of heavy as fark squats and do not under estimate of the destroying of quads on a leg extension.
Yes it is

Just keep doing what you're doing Puggy. As long as it's working, do whatever sets, reps, weight and exercises you want.

If we listened to some of the people on here, we'd debate the correct angle of a back extension for 3 hours, then do 2 deadlifts and call it a full body session.

It is working man. You've seen my progress pics.
I'll work on my recovery techniques as well from now on.

i think once you've build a solid base, you can forgo the foundation work aka more taxing movements, and concentrate on isolating that muscle to its best.

and thats why the best bb'ers don't squat etc.

i think once you've build a solid base, you can forgo the foundation work aka more taxing movements, and concentrate on isolating that muscle to its best.

and thats why the best bb'ers don't squat etc.

This is right.

You don't often see the very well developed do this, all of them started with the basic big moves.

Most people see their heroes do the marathon, split crazy workouts and cherry pick them for themselves.