• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Puggy

Hi all,

I usually train my legs on a Monday or Tuesday. Usually this is my quad dominant workout, with my hamstring day coming on Friday or Saturday.
However, I've decided to take up a team sport on Wednesday evenings, my best friend has just started up, so I thought I would tag along.

But here's my dilemma: despite training legs on a Monday I can be sore till Friday. I always get severe leg DOMs, and it doesn't really get better as I keep to routine for months at a time. I eat the right nutrients, do warm down techniques, hot and cold water therapy, deep heat, etc. And it doesn't make a lot of difference to the pain.

Now because I'm now playing soccer on Wednesday evenings, should I place my leg a day before so my leg DOMs is not at its worst and use soccer as active recovery/cardio? Or a day after at risk of being fatigued from soccer?

I'd keep it as is. It might suck for the first week but I reckon you'd adapt to it after that.

Keep it as it is and you'll probably find that it will help the doms
by the way, working your legs more often will get rid of the doms

What if you train quads Sunday, 2 days after hamstrings if you do them on the Friday. Any DOMS from hamstrings shouldn't really impact a quad workout.

Are you stretching and/or rolling after your leg sessions? This may help with your DOMS

If you feel your workload is too much reduce it somewhere so your recuperative ability and workload are more balanced, or balance the equation another way. otherwise you are shooting yourself in the foot (or legs).

Thanks all.

Yes I do stretching and a warm down on the treadmill after my workouts. Usually reduces some of the DOMs.
But I've sort of learnt to deal with the pain from training legs. It can get pretty bad some weeks however!

I get 9 hours of sleep a night, and do some hydro therapy before bed.

Thanks all.

Yes I do stretching and a warm down on the treadmill after my workouts. Usually reduces some of the DOMs.
But I've sort of learnt to deal with the pain from training legs. It can get pretty bad some weeks however!

I get 9 hours of sleep a night, and do some hydro therapy before bed.

Don't really understand this. I might get doms 2 weeks upon starting a new routine to match the new volume or frequency levels, but rarely again after that unless thats an unusually gruesome session.
If you're getting it every single week then I'd say you're doing something wrong and should address that first.

^I'm with this guy.
Not sure how or why youd keep getting doms every week if you've been doing the program for a while. Perhaps you're not working them often enough?

^I'm with this guy.
Not sure how or why youd keep getting doms every week if you've been doing the program for a while. Perhaps you're not working them often enough?

I'm with that guy.

Like darko states too. only two things create DOMS; you are either doing something wrong or not enough.
at any rate, working the lower body once a week for most young bucks is nowhere near enough, at best you are just maintaining strength and muscle tissue..

Last edited:
I do find that DOMS is much more frequent when I'm doing cardio on top of the weight sessions and take out my recovery day. How many rest days do you have Puggy?

I'm unsure. Why?
I do train legs pretty frequently.
I have a separate session for Hams, Quads, Calves, Calves.
I have a pretty varied routine, I like to mix things up heaps, I get bored easily with legs.
I do embrace the soreness, I feel like I've worked hard.

But I have to agree such frequent soreness that occurs for days is probably unnatural.

change legs to thursday if its impacting. then you have 6 days till soccor. or friday if thurs your still taxed.

Seeming alright today. Soccer definitely aided active recovery. Been a while since I ran like that though. Terrific cardio, and team participation too.
Top of my right quad a little sore, probably from tripping over a few times, haha.

I'm unsure. Why?
I do train legs pretty frequently.
I have a separate session for Hams, Quads, Calves........
A comment if I may......
Why split up the legs with different days, makes no sense at all, You're still working each muscle only once a week, hence DOMS.

A comment if I may......
Why split up the legs with different days, makes no sense at all, You're still working each muscle only once a week, hence DOMS.

More volume. It's too much to do both Hams/Quads on the same day.
Calves are weak point, so training twice a week makes them grow.

More volume. It's too much to do both Hams/Quads on the same day.
Calves are weak point, so training twice a week makes them grow.
What?
Why?

Then a suggestion if I may....
If you find it's too much volume to do all your legs in one workout, then as sure as a whore bangs lilke a dunny door you are doing too many sets/ reps in your workout.
If you don't agree and continue to do the same thing, then DOMS will always haunt you.

change legs to thursday if its impacting. then you have 6 days till soccor. or friday if thurs your still taxed.

Yeah I was thinking this. For ages I was always working quads on Tuesday, which allowed me to do Body Pump on the Monday, that also works the legs. I would be fine on the Tuesday, but if I switched the days, around, there would be no way I could work my legs again.

I also split quads on one day and hamstrings/calves on another. Lets me smash each muscle group to failure. Many people split their leg training like this. You know, real people, not internet people who know best.

How many exercises are there for just hammies and how many for just quads?
Fascinating thinking this isolation stuff.