• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
Which exercises and techniques do you use to balance out your anterior and posterior shoulders/delts?

Too many dudes focus on the anterior (eg presses, flyes), not enough on the posterior (eg rows, reverse flyes).

What lengths do YOU go to to ensure your shoulder gets worked out evenly across the board? Share your tips here to help us keep our shoulders healthy, injury free and looking like a boss.

Doing lateral raises and rear delt flies correctly. Both have got to be the worst executed exercises at gyms all over the world. For both exercises, most people need to drop the weight.

With lateral raises, your elbows lead the way and your arms are nearly straight. So many people turn this in a dance party with too much body english. They also have a massive bend in the elbows so the front delt takes over. At the top of the movement your pinkies should be facing the ceiling, like you're pouring out a bottle of water.

With rear delt rows, your palms face you, not together. So you lead with your pinkies. Then fly outwards with no help from your back or traps. Most people make it look like they're in a butterfly swimming contest. Pause at the top of the movement if you can.

Once you do these exercises correctly, you're feel the burn in the shoulders a lot more. Recently I've dropping the weight and focused on high reps (15-20) and seen much better progress than going as heavy as I can. I think it was 0in who said just get blood in your shoulders and they're grow. It definitely worked for me.

[MENTION=15941]steveP[/MENTION]; The rear delt machine hurt my shoulder chronic so I'll be switching to the DB version today. Do you do them resting on a bench at a 45 deg angle? And is your scapula retracted to initiate the motion? (set shoulders back)

And apart from lateral raises do you do anterior raise as well, and upright rows? Both feature on the exrx website as a recommended shoulder exercises lol.

Try RDF's kneeling (like on all 4's but obviously with one hand on the cable) with a low cable. I think Sherk told me that way, much prefer it over db's and I can't stand the machine/reverse pec deck

@steveP; The rear delt machine hurt my shoulder chronic so I'll be switching to the DB version today. Do you do them resting on a bench at a 45 deg angle? And is your scapula retracted to initiate the motion? (set shoulders back)

And apart from lateral raises do you do anterior raise as well, and upright rows? Both feature on the exrx website as a recommended shoulder exercises lol.

Yep, on a bench, then you can't cheat. 45 degrees is too high and you'll bring in traps. Lower the bench to 30 degrees. I don't really retract anything, just let my arms hang loose and fly outwards with a straight arm. Try not to fly backwards but keep your hands inline with your shoulders the whole time.

I do upright rows, but I lean forward to target the traps. I feel that my front delts get worked heaps during chest exercises, so I only really do military presses and Arnold presses to isolate them.

Why farmers over shrugs?? :confused:

me no say farmer's over shurgs.

What me say is farmer's good for shoulders, good for posture, just generally an all round fuckin good all body exercise, if you have never done these ever, kick yourself in the butt for me will you.

Try RDF's kneeling (like on all 4's but obviously with one hand on the cable) with a low cable. I think Sherk told me that way, much prefer it over db's and I can't stand the machine/reverse pec deck

What this is fukin?

Rear delts are usually my first point of call on my shoulder workout.
I usually burn them out with about 15 sets - 5 of which are super sets.
High Cable Rows, Single Chest Supported Machine Rows, Cable Posterior Flyes, Incline Rear DB Flyes.
Rear delts are something I've built quite nicely. I find my medial delt to be the one lagging.

Yeah, pretty sure he was the one that put me on to them.
I can focus on the contraction more than any other method, including other cable variations. Not sure why but I ain't complaining

My front and side delts always grew pretty well so a few sets of rear laterals is all I need