• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
1. Warm Up Properly
2. Leave the Ego at the Door
3. Learn and Execute Proper Form
4. Train to Pain but not thru it
5. Rehab and Recovery and Rest after

That will work for turning up to the gym a couple times a week but won't for actual sports.

We have to face it if you want to be good at something even just half decent it's going to go way past the point of doing it for health reasons.

That will work for turning up to the gym a couple times a week but won't for actual sports.

We have to face it if you want to be good at something even just half decent it's going to go way past the point of doing it for health reasons.

Do you think this applies to us weekend warriors and gym goers who want to look and feel the best we can?
The dudes that needs to life a normal life.

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking.
i think for most, cardio is a means to control fat, in the short it's great, but will ruin you in the long term.

its why we see so many fat people and skinny fat people.
how often do we see a well muscled women?

I get what you're saying. Go to any gym and the cardio section will be full. Full of people not really training for anything. Most aren't even sure if they're doing the right thing if their goal is to lose weight. And if they are there to improve cardiovascular health, they're not doing it in a measurable way.

But you're also kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Not everyone is mindlessly doing cardio. I'd say 25% are doing it for a purpose of say training for a sport or using it as a tool for calorie expenditure to achieve a bodyfat percentage.

A few times a week I'll do a 20 minutes HIIT session on the bike or elliptical post weight training. By the end of that 20 minutes I've sweated up a storm and I'm spent. I look around and everyone is still walking casually on the treadmill at a 2% incline. They'll probably be there another hour and barely raise their heart rate. I think cardio is also a way of exercising where people don't have to get outside of their comfort zone.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying. Go to any gym and the cardio section will be full. Full of people not really training for anything. Most aren't even sure if they're doing the right thing if their goal is to lose weight. And if they are there to improve cardiovascular health, they're not doing it in a measurable way.

But you're also kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Not everyone is mindlessly doing cardio. I'd say 25% are doing it for a purpose of say training for a sport or using it as a tool for calorie expenditure to achieve a bodyfat percentage.

A few times a week I'll do a 20 minutes HIIT session on the bike or elliptical post weight training. By the end of that 20 minutes I've sweated up a storm and I'm spent. I look around and everyone is still walking casually on the treadmill at a 2% incline. They'll probably be there another hour and barely raise their heart rate. I think cardio is also a way of exercising where people don't have to get outside of their comfort zone.

To me, it's a very interesting topic, this old cardio business, to be fit means to be able to do the activities required, the measure of fitness is the time we recover (HR returning to normal) I think, if we follow a weight routine and it gets us huffy-puffy, then what more is required?
Will more cardio make us live longer, or eventually wear us down?

Playing a sport, well, that's what training is for, to prepare us for the game, why do added cardio, the body is one system, cardio, training and workouts use the same system.
for example; We have Fletcher, playing 400 games we had Hird spending more time off the field than on, both presumably train in similar ways, which could of been a mistake.

A few years ago I used to have a dedicated cardio day. To build up my running endurance and to burn off calories. It got boring and I realised I'd burn just as many calories throwing in another weight training session. But this only works for so long. I guess you can also see cardio as a rehab day. It's low impact on the body and flushes blood into recovering muscles from weight training.

I think most people use cardio as diet control and that's probably how you should look at it. You can either eat more and be more active, or just simple eat less. I prefer the "doing more" approach.

I don't think they would have.
I don't follow the bombers that much but everytime I've heard something about Fletcher's milestones (there's been a few of them), they always say he's often left to do his own thing. Not to say he doesn't take the main sessions and what not but he does a lot of yoga and other activities aimed more at longevity than skills. Something the main playing group don't do.

I don't think they would have.
I don't follow the bombers that much but everytime I've heard something about Fletcher's milestones (there's been a few of them), they always say he's often left to do his own thing. Not to say he doesn't take the main sessions and what not but he does a lot of yoga and other activities aimed more at longevity than skills. Something the main playing group don't do.

Yeah I have no idea, it's just interesting, I think there is just a "cookie cutter" program with some variations for all newcomers, but maybe fletcher is given a bit of license to do what he wants ( as a senior player)