• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

canned tuna

Advantages of raised-heel squatting are very well discussed

Not a lot is said about long term usage and disadvantages, or the ideal usage circumstances

Please share your findings

Aside from obvious benefits, through med-long term use I am finding
-Knees take more of a beating; often am running light days flat foot
-Now able to hit depth comfortably without soles, [but could be attributed to pause work]
-Feel as though hips are less mobile in oly shoes; can spread knees more comfortably without
-Seems most suitable for close & medium stance

My Addidas Powerlift 2 has only a modest heel but it makes a huge difference to the stability of my front squats. I can also deadlift in them without worries because said heel isn't high enough for it to be a concern plus the sole is firm enough and has no cushioning.

My Addidas Powerlift 2 has only a modest heel but it makes a huge difference to the stability of my front squats. I can also deadlift in them without worries because said heel isn't high enough for it to be a concern plus the sole is firm enough and has no cushioning.

No disrespect Jungo, but that's fukked up. No way in the world would I recommend deadlifting in squat shoes. The heel not only raises you up so the bar has to travel further (in effect giving you a 2-3cm deficit on every deadlift) but it pitches you forward, the exact opposite of what you need to get full potential out of your effort.

Great for raw squats. No good for deads.

adidas-powerlift-trainer-2-mens

Real deadlift shoes:

6.png

No disrespect Jungo, but that's fukked up. No way in the world would I recommend deadlifting in squat shoes. The heel not only raises you up so the bar has to travel further (in effect giving you a 2-3cm deficit on every deadlift) but it pitches you forward, the exact opposite of what you need to get full potential out of your effort.

Great for raw squats. No good for deads.

adidas-powerlift-trainer-2-mens

Real deadlift shoes:

6.png
Maybe its because I got really bad flexibility but I have to deadlift in my romoleos. I can actually sit back and got most of the weight behind the bar where if I go flat foot I can't and I can't keep the bar running up my legs past the knee.

Maybe its because I got really bad flexibility but I have to deadlift in my romoleos. I can actually sit back and got most of the weight behind the bar where if I go flat foot I can't and I can't keep the bar running up my legs past the knee.
I kinda feel the same, but its a positional issue... I think its from doing so many cleans, so I'm used to having the heel

The idea of an Olympic shoe is for position, helps keep torso upright coming out of snatches, CJs and both squats to mimic the oly movements...
I don't really know of or read of anyone developing knee issues from using them. Usually if a knee issue develops in an oly lifter its from being over efficient...

l see nothing wrong with deadlifting in oly shoes. l started doing it around 6 months ago and it continues to help my deadlift lockout. Lets me 'drive' through the legs more. Having said that my deadlift is dog shit so take that for what it's worth. l think if you deadlift with a straight back a flat soled shoe would help out more.

Sounds like you dudes are trying to clean or squat your deadlifts

Can we please keep this thread relating to the topic of squats in Olympic shoes

Hahaha, no just don't feel like slinging several pairs of shoes with me when I head to the gym.

I can simply take off my shoes for deadlifts but I'm not sure if my gym is ok with that... yet.

I'm only guessing here but I'd say they'd assist you, particularly with a narrower stance.
I've got the Inov8's and there ain't no way I'm ever squatting without them again...

As for deadlifts with oly shoes....um k

Oly shoes help me with squatting because I my ankle flexibility. Yeah yeah everyone says work on ankle mobility, did it for years didnt do shit for me.

Deadlifting with Oly shoes sucks for me. Tends to push your knees forward and make you want to squat your deadlift up which is a terrible way to deadlift.

Oly shoes help me with squatting because I my ankle flexibility. Yeah yeah everyone says work on ankle mobility, did it for years didnt do shit for me.

Deadlifting with Oly shoes sucks for me. Tends to push your knees forward and make you want to squat your deadlift up which is a terrible way to deadlift.
I know so many people who will agree that working loads on ankle mobility gets you no where... Unless you do it for a job, just find a way around it

I use OLY shoes also because of my right ankle. Many physio sessions and a tonne of work myself gave a bees dick more ROM with it. To hell with it haha.

I use OLY shoes also because of my right ankle. Many physio sessions and a tonne of work myself gave a bees dick more ROM with it. To hell with it haha.

Yea exactly. Never use much ankle mobility day to day, plenty of better things to spend your time on.