• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I have a leg press in my home gym. I love it.

As for what's better for sport I don't think it makes a huge difference as long as you get strong.

If we are getting down to the finer points I would say wide stance powerlifting type squats as the worst for sport, high bar or front squats as the best with leg press in the middle.

But overall I would say an exercise like deadlifts or farmers walk is better weight training for footy ect.

btw, we were not talking specifically about quads, like this specific machine does, we were talking about the leg press vs a squat for non-weightlifting competitors.

my understanding of life fitness leg press is that a fuller movement, trying not to round back, will activate glutes and hammies more rather than a quarter movement.

That is what I am after, an exercise where I can work thighs with great intensity (every 2-3 weeks), and not have to worry about my back use in squats when I go heavier.

my understanding of life fitness leg press is that a fuller movement, trying not to round back, will activate glutes and hammies more rather than a quarter movement.

That is what I am after, an exercise where I can work thighs with great intensity (every 2-3 weeks), and not have to worry about my back use in squats when I go heavier.

I think you're pretty right there.

The full squat, is different to the quarter squat which is what most do.

To get a decent range of motion without lifting the heels usually requires the feet to be place quite high on the push plate. Then it's more of a hamstring and glute exercise but you certainly get to move some serious tonnages. That's why they can improve the deadlift - glutes and hammies.

I remember not squatting for a while and my legs were huge from insane weight leg presses but when I went back to squatting I was weaker at it. Squatting requires a very specific type of strength and leg press seems to disengage everything you need to stand up with a barbell on your back.

last week was my PB, i went from 2 plates a side, increasing 1 plate a side every set unit i hit 8 plates a side. then pyramid back down to 4 plates a side, soo many reps. thats how you use a leg press :) (less than 60 sec rest)
reps were 15-6 back to 12. no 3's

edit: looked at my log, 9 plates a side, so did 8 for 8 then 9 for 6 reps then pyramid back down incr reps

Last edited:
To get a decent range of motion without lifting the heels usually requires the feet to be place quite high on the push plate. Then it's more of a hamstring and glute exercise but you certainly get to move some serious tonnages. That's why they can improve the deadlift - glutes and hammies.

I remember not squatting for a while and my legs were huge from insane weight leg presses but when I went back to squatting I was weaker at it. Squatting requires a very specific type of strength and leg press seems to disengage everything you need to stand up with a barbell on your back.

Interesting observations. Thanks.

last week was my PB, i went from 2 plates a side, increasing 1 plate a side every set unit i hit 8 plates a side. then pyramid back down to 4 plates a side, soo many reps. thats how you use a leg press :) (less than 60 sec rest)
reps were 15-6 back to 12. no 3's

edit: looked at my log, 9 plates a side, so did 8 for 8 then 9 for 6 reps then pyramid back down incr reps
You are my hero.

I recommend putting the feet on the leg press in a position that suits your hips (just like Squat foot position) trying to target the outer vastus lateralis is getting a bit ridiculous imo.

As for what is better for non lifters, I'd say the Squat if properly done. (you'd be hard pressed to find an nrl strength and conditioning coach that prefers the leg press) but I can see where the leg press can increase specificity like the cycling example.

And how do you do a single Leg Squat with 150kg and not fall over?

i put the legs high to hit the hammies and glutes, and go to the chest, then do squats atg after that. thanks for the tips

edit: no hero, just saying how i use it as a legit source.

Last edited:
everyone even know they claim "full" squat has different versions

i got ass to greass, but its also the feet distance etc, i got knee issues with feet too close so have to move them out. thoughts

while the wraps so tight he can't even walk... up i think that will affect the joint muscle movement yea?

I have reasonable squat but also suffer from a lot of lower back issues. lower back problems much less when I stop squatting.

Much love in here today...

images

everyone even know they claim "full" squat has different versions

i got ass to greass, but its also the feet distance etc, i got knee issues with feet too close so have to move them out. thoughts
My thoughts are that you should use the stance that suits your anatomy.

yeah i saw a dude load up the incline leg press after i finished and started doing cardio, all of a sudden all these plates were on there, and he was fectching more from other stations, caught my eye.

yep 1/4 reps for ego boosting. awesome.