• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
woody, one thing I have never been interested in is lifting heavy for ego.

I'm with you there. I was talking more about lifting heavy for low reps which has a direct effect on over-all leg strength, and all the other bits that are used as well. My idea of a heavy set is 80% of your real or estimated 1RM for 3 reps, give or take. So, its not to impress the faggitz doing tricep kick backs, its included to tax your body so that it gets stronger in response.

Its not a matter of showing off, its a matter of pushing your CNS and legs to compensate for the heavy work. That translates into real strength gains IF your form is correct.

Add to that the high rep leg press and you got some serious gainz.

Feet positioning for leg press is crucial yeah? If I have the feet higher up on the footrest the PT said this works the hammies and glutes. If the feet is at the midpoint of the plate then it is the quads.
Wider stance with the feet turned slightly out is for the abductors. Do you guys find this to be the case in your experience?

This is all assuming the lumbar is flat tack against the back cushion to avoid rounded backs.

I was just about to mention that.

Squats are great as it's essentially a full body exercise, which has been said. However when squatting, I'm focused on keeping the bar on the right track and not getting stuck under it when going heavy. It leaves very little room for playing around with feet positioning.

On the leg press I can position my feet exactly where I want them to target a specific part of the leg. And I feel it's more of an isolation exercise for the legs as the back and butt are locked in. In a regular squat the back and butt cant move around a lot and take up of the slack if you don't have strict form.

All weight training is accessory to the main training for sports( except barbell sports obviously) not just leg press.

I think you missed the point. The word "accessory" is related to the training session for that day, no matter what you end sport may be. It even applies to those who have no sport at all.

You have a main lift, a compound lift, (in this case, squats) which you push hard. You follow that up with accessory work to target weaknesses. Those exercises would probably be chosen with the sport/goals in mind.

So you get stronger, bigger and more badass with the barbell squats, then get some blood pumping in there with non compound accessory lifts.

You don't have to do it that way. But it works.

If leg press is gay for massaging the ego what does that make powerlifting.

Awesome.

woody, we will see how I go.

I am interested to see how my deadlift and standing long go with leg presses rather than squats. I did 202.5kg last October, but am aiming for 220kg at least at 90kg bodyweight on August 15.

You may say that deadlift training will be responsible, but I am really only doing one hard set of this exercise every couple of weeks to keep in touch with skill. I will aim to do 4 reps on 200kg after leg press by mid-July, and then do them first for last few sessions.

What most fail to realize is that squatting properly takes time, for some, many years, you start light, you pay your dues with this exercise and progress slowly if you want to keep squatting into your senior years.

The fundamental difference between the leg press and squat is or it's downside is that the majority of leg press machines offer incomplete hip extension.

When you press the resistance away to complete knee extension, complete hip extension is never realized.

That is, your thighs do not align parallel to the torso.

Leg presses are still great lower-body tools if you work hard.
It’s too bad the Hammer H-Squat machine is no longer manufactured. This machine offered complete hip extension with concomitant knee extension.

I think you missed the point. The word "accessory" is related to the training session for that day, no matter what you end sport may be. It even applies to those who have no sport at all.

You have a main lift, a compound lift, (in this case, squats) which you push hard. You follow that up with accessory work to target weaknesses. Those exercises would probably be chosen with the sport/goals in mind.

So you get stronger, bigger and more badass with the barbell squats, then get some blood pumping in there with non compound accessory lifts.

You don't have to do it that way. But it works.

Awesome.

Let's go with single and multi joint rather than compnound the leg-press is compound.

yes, leg press is indeed compound as works all of thigh if I am correct (albeit quads more). I certainly feel whole thigh after hard sets.

i prefer the leg press before the squat, otherwise my lower back feels like a mofo bitch the next day. rather than squat then leg press...

SB, have you seen this one; if so, any view?

Not as bio-mechanically correct as a movement that moves as a lever.
The back rest is adjustable, but the seat isn't, which means you are unable to set the 90 degree angle at the knee.

the feet must be placed on the pad to create a 90 degree at the knee.
the lower leg must be positioned on the foot pad in direct line with the linear track, the ROM will be short, but there will be no sheer force on the knee doing this and minimal ankle movement.

placing feet on the platform in certain positions to emphasize certain muscles in the leg is a big bad no-no, if you disagree you are a fool.

Never lock the knee at extension.

never place your arse in the seat, just slightly above.

go as deep as you lower back allows.
Start light and slowly add weight over time as with all exercises

yes, leg press is indeed compound as works all of thigh if I am correct (albeit quads more). I certainly feel whole thigh after hard sets.

I think that the go to muscles here (or should be) are the glutes and hams.

if you look at the quads, they are most mechanically strongest at contraction, it's why the leg extension is such a good exercise, done properly it maintains a healthy knee joint.

I have all those leg presses in the gym.. horizontal one, decline one, incline one (which sort of reminds me of a smith machine tilted backwards lol). Which ones do you guys use as best?

if you knew anything about the incline leg press, you'd know its all about your spine and butt into the backrest, and the seat plays ZERO part in the movement.

your full of shit bro. keep picking at parts like bazza does, invisible ones just for the sake of it.

if you knew anything about the incline leg press, you'd know its all about your spine and butt into the backrest, and the seat plays ZERO part in the movement.

your full of shit bro. keep picking at parts like bazza does, invisible ones just for the sake of it.

Mate no one here even knows who you are talking to.

Are you replying to the voices in your head.

everyone knows more than you, ya tool.

silverback that starting position looks awefully bad for the knee's taking load into effect
edit: why? because of the angle of the FOOT!