• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

White_Lie

Look at Moi, I'm a Kunce
I'm looking to start a new program thru the winter with the main aim being to bulk with some strength gains.
I've just come off a 'bro split' chest & tri's, back & bi's, legs & shoulders and made some good progress, getting the strongest I've been but due to my holiday/forced deload, I quickly went backwards when I got back in the gym. The few weeks since then I've been doing chest/back, legs, shoulders/arms twice per week but really not feeling the vibe and can't see it giving me what I want.

Anyway, enough rambling, I'm looking at something like Jigger's current push/pull/legs sort of split with A/B days so I train 6 days.
Layout would be something like so (with "accessory" work thrown in)
A days- Chest/Lower back/Quads
B days - Shoulders/Upper back/Hammys

I want to keep working on gaining strength, so would be a 5x5 movement to start and maybe 3 other exercises in the 8-12 rep range per workout.

Do you guys think this will give me what I'm after and have enough volume?

Otherwise throw some other options at me, prerequisites are...
Strength/bulk focus
No more than 6 days/week
60-90 min time frame (shorter the better really)
Roughly a 12 week/3 month run time

Cheers kunce!

Dumping the Bro split? Seriously? You recently have a head injury?
So dissapointed, we can be friends....NO MORE!

I did think about picking it back up again, but this proposed plan could still be bro worthy. It's like a deconstructed bro split, something you would find at a fancy restaurant

Repeat x2?
I reckon they'd be long ass workouts unless I cut back on volume in each workout because I'm doing each workout three times a week?

Yes, one compound and one iso per group.
Eg
Bench + flyes
OHP + side raises
Dips, curls.

Squat + leg curls
Chins + rows (deads if you like)
Calves

Yes, one compound and one iso per group.
Eg
Bench + flyes
OHP + side raises
Dips, curls.

Squat + leg curls
Chins + rows (deads if you like)
Calves
Sounds interesting now that you've explained it. May give it a run.
Maybe check out PHUL mate, 4 days a week. Really just find something that you enjoy
I seem to struggle a little everytime of change routines, just getting in the groove but once they stick, I don't like giving them up. KFG may have something on the cards for me, secret squirrel business ;)

Another 6x/week kunce crew! Love it. Whitey I think you got the right idea by restricting each session to around 5 exercises per session. Just vary the intensity using a system you prefer so you're not always going for maxes since that is counterproductive.

Basic rule of thumb is to keep Pull > Push, and Hammies = Quads. [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION];'s suggestion is actually a nice one to build on. Select exercises that work on your weaknesses.

Keen to see what you come up with for starters! You can always tweak it later lol it's not like your Moses and writing everything on stone tablet lol

Do you want to hit everything twice per week? Another thing to consider is that people structure their workout around the traditional week which is not necessary. You could do a four day split, train every second day and do an eight day cycle, which provides plenty of rest and recuperation. I currently do a four day split but hit everything twice in htat period, just different parts/exercises. I am pondering doing that over an eight day cycle, so everything gets hit twice every eight days. The difference over a year is minimal, but lots more recovery. Or you could do a four or five day split, hit your strong points once, hit your weak pionts twice in this period. Get creative!
If you're willing to go 6 x per week the options are limitless!

My training plan has pretty much evolved into what you and Jung have mentioned; 6-day (a/b) split.

I used to do the same split you're currently doing for years (back/bis, chest/tris, legs/shoulders). I felt it didn't work the legs or shoulders enough. Or if it did, leg/shoulder day would be huge and unbalanced. I like the idea of push/pull/legs, but I've tweaked it a bit as I feel it doesn't give the shoulders enough volume.

I've found this is more "balanced":
Push day - chest/shoulders/abs
Pull day - back/arms
Legs - obviously quads/hamstrings/calves

If you're happy doing a 3-day split twice a week, the above is pretty straight forward.

My current split looks like this
Legs A - quads/glutes
Pull A - back/forearms
Push A - chest/abs
Legs B - hamstrings/calves
Pull B - biceps/triceps
Push B - shoulders/traps

Last edited:
Biggest thing for a 6 day week based around the 'normal' week is so I can have Tuesdays off. It's when I fly to/from work and serious struggle town to get in the gym sometimes. Ends up a ridiculously long day. I don't mind training weekends if "the plan" necessitates it.

So.. any progress on your training plan architecture?? What splits have you come up with!
I was thinking about drafting something up, won't be starting until next Wednesday at the earliest...keep ticking along until then. Might go with something like Sherks at this stage.

KFG sent me a plan he's looking at doing, bit out of the ordinary of how I'd go about things but that could be a good thing.

I also think I'm starting to over complicate things. KISS!

You got me
bastich
graphics-sport-fishing-725553.gif

Don't get stuck in over thinking this too much mate, more time working your brain than your muscles haha.
Is there any reason going back to what you were doing before the break is an issue. Pretty much do a compound on the according day for 3 sets of 5 or similar then hit the other movements you were going to?

That's pretty much how I was training, just want to do something else for variety if nothing else? Seems like the right time to change as I've taken a few steps backwards rather than using it as a deload and going again. I dunno man

Perhaps going back to that program will work better for a bulk and leave the A/B split for when I cut. Shorter rest periods and an extra day or so during the week for cardio?

See, now I'm rethinking shit again! Lulz